Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • User2018
    • By User2018 7th Nov 18, 6:22 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    User2018
    Constantly getting spam calls after accident
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:22 PM
    Constantly getting spam calls after accident 7th Nov 18 at 6:22 PM
    Hi,

So I was involved in a cycling collision (me being cyclist) a few months ago. I am getting at least 2/4 calls a day either an automated voice about accident or they just hang up after saying nothing (I think they just checking if number is active). I only shared number with insurance company I was dealing with that's it (no solicitors or any other man-in-middle), so they must have shared my number now I am being constantly pestered.

I have registered with TPS but that really doesn't help, these fraudulent companies don't care about the law so TPS is just useless.

This happened on my mobile number, apart from changing number what can I do to avoid this?

I block numbers via mobile, but these people still call via different numbers anyway
Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 7th Nov 18, 6:42 PM
    • 51,438 Posts
    • 21,791 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:42 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:42 PM
    So I was involved in a cycling collision (me being cyclist) a few months ago. I am getting at least 2/4 calls a day either an automated voice about accident or they just hang up after saying nothing (I think they just checking if number is active).
    Originally posted by User2018
    It's a computer that is calling, and it hangs up because all human beings are busy.
    I only shared number with insurance company I was dealing with that's it (no solicitors or any other man-in-middle), so they must have shared my number now I am being constantly pestered.
    Selling information is their way of making extra money.

I have registered with TPS but that really doesn't help, these fraudulent companies don't care about the law so TPS is just useless.
    Absolutely.
    This happened on my mobile number, apart from changing number what can I do to avoid this?

I block numbers via mobile, but these people still call via different numbers anyway
    Keep blocking.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • macman
    • By macman 8th Nov 18, 12:18 PM
    • 42,788 Posts
    • 18,035 Thanks
    macman
    • 8th Nov 18, 12:18 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 12:18 PM
    It's usually the claims handling company, the recovery service, or the repairing garage who sell your number on-not sure which of these apply in the case of a cyclist? All you can do is block them-it'll eventually subside.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 8th Nov 18, 12:57 PM
    • 5,217 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 8th Nov 18, 12:57 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 12:57 PM
    I had a bump over 5 years ago, I'm still getting calls about comp, sometimes 4 or 5 a week then nothing for a month and then they start again as the 'list' I'm on gets sold on again.

I just ask them to hang on a minutes and leave the phone for half an hour, if they're still there I just cut them off.
    It doesn't stop them, but I feel better
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 9th Nov 18, 2:40 PM
    • 6,080 Posts
    • 11,785 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:40 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 2:40 PM
    Use a call blocking app that blocks all numbers except contacts and sends them straight to voicemail without your phone even ringing. If its important they will leave a message, but these scammer calls will never leave a message. I recommend "Calls Blacklist" for android. I use the pro version works perfectly and can also block texts too
    Choose life
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 10th Nov 18, 3:32 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:32 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:32 PM
    Android mobiles can be set to only accept calls from contacts and auto reject others.

If these call centres are just hanging up, then they could be in breach of ofcom rules, where silent calls should have an automated message stated who's calling when no human available
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

7,474Users online

Martin's Twitter