Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Juno 62
    • By Juno 62 7th Nov 18, 4:07 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Juno 62
    0 WOW
    Change of departure airports from what is on ATOL certificate to cheaper alternatives
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:07 PM
    0 WOW
    Change of departure airports from what is on ATOL certificate to cheaper alternatives 7th Nov 18 at 4:07 PM
    We have just received notice that the flights for our Xmas trip on the Danube booked via CITO back in March have changed from Heathrow to Stansted (on the way out) and from Heathrow to Birmingham (on the return).

There is a door-to-door service included in the price but we now face a minimum 2 1/2 ride each way at silly o'clock instead of the original 45 minute trip up the M3 - if they are picking up other people it could potentially take a lot longer.

Out ATOL certificate (issued in March) clearly states Heathrow --> Vienna and Vienna --> Heathrow.

It's pretty obvious what's going on here - Ryanair/Lauda Air flights from Stansted to Vienna and from Bratislava back to Birmingham are way cheaper than Heathrow to Vienna.

So my question is, does the ATOL certificate give me any clout when I ring them up and discuss how much they are saving? There are 7 of us going so it is going to be in the 100s.

The CITO T&C are, predictably, quite cleverly worded - because the trip is less than 7 days we might get 10 per person if the travel agent was informed after 26th October but that will not cover our additional costs (One of the party was going to meet us at Heathrow but now has to take an extra day off work and travel out of London to meet up with the rest of us).

My mum booked this trip in good faith and it isn't cheap so apart from the extra ride she's feeling a bit ripped off.
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 7th Nov 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 1,155 Thanks
    Westin
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:27 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:27 PM
    We have just received notice that the flights for our Xmas trip on the Danube booked via CITO back in March have changed from Heathrow to Stansted (on the way out) and from Heathrow to Birmingham (on the return).

There is a door-to-door service included in the price but we now face a minimum 2 1/2 ride each way at silly o'clock instead of the original 45 minute trip up the M3 - if they are picking up other people it could potentially take a lot longer.

Out ATOL certificate (issued in March) clearly states Heathrow --> Vienna and Vienna --> Heathrow.

It's pretty obvious what's going on here - Ryanair/Lauda Air flights from Stansted to Vienna and from Bratislava back to Birmingham are way cheaper than Heathrow to Vienna.

So my question is, does the ATOL certificate give me any clout when I ring them up and discuss how much they are saving? There are 7 of us going so it is going to be in the 100s.

The CITO T&C are, predictably, quite cleverly worded - because the trip is less than 7 days we might get 10 per person if the travel agent was informed after 26th October but that will not cover our additional costs (One of the party was going to meet us at Heathrow but now has to take an extra day off work and travel out of London to meet up with the rest of us).

My mum booked this trip in good faith and it isn't cheap so apart from the extra ride she's feeling a bit ripped off.
    Originally posted by Juno 62
    No, none at all.

The ATOL scheme is offering you and your party a protected booking from the financial failure of your travel provider.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 9th Nov 18, 10:48 AM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:48 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:48 AM
    A change from London to Birmingham is a major change and should allow you to cancel without charge, whether you would want to or not is a different matter. Of course, you could threaten to do so which would cause a loss of profit and see if that has any effect.... As you say this is clearly penny-pinching at the extreme and would worry me that other major changes will be foisted on you during the cruise.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Nov 18, 7:15 PM
    • 5,453 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:15 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:15 PM
    Are the original flights from Heathrow to Vienna still operating or have they been cancelled?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 9th Nov 18, 7:34 PM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:34 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:34 PM
    There are plenty of daily flights to Vienna from Heathrow, BA has 6 flights a day and Austrian 3.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,434Posts Today

6,863Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin