Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 7th Nov 18, 3:36 PM
    • 277Posts
    • 28Thanks
    whambam
    Benefits & Medical Records
    • 7th Nov 18, 3:36 PM
    Benefits & Medical Records 7th Nov 18 at 3:36 PM
    Is it best to send medical records to the DWP when applying for disability benefits rather than them trying to locate them themselves slow things down?

The form is so complicated to fill out so will the medical records act as a substitute?
Page 2
    • whambam
    • By whambam 8th Nov 18, 11:33 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    whambam
    What are you talking about? Your question was about sending evidence to support a disability claim. Why on earth would they contact banks, local councils and electoral rolls for this??
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    They would contact the bank to see if you have over 16,000 in savings. Contact the council to see how many residents are registered at the property. Electoral roll to see if your registered to vote as a British citizen.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 9th Nov 18, 5:37 AM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 2,794 Thanks
    _shel
    They would contact the bank to see if you have over 16,000 in savings. Contact the council to see how many residents are registered at the property. Electoral roll to see if your registered to vote as a British citizen.
    Originally posted by whambam
    You must think highly of the DWP if you think they bother to carry out these checks!

How do you think some foreign nationals manage to lie and claim benefits, that people with savings don't get caught unless they are tripped up? Exactly because they don't carry out such checks and rely on you telling the truth.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Nov 18, 6:06 AM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    poppy12345
    If you're question was originally about PIP they definitely wouldn't contact your bank because it's not means tested. As shel has stated they don't contact anyone. If you were claiming a means tested benefit then they would ask for bank statements.
    • whambam
    • By whambam 9th Nov 18, 12:47 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    whambam
    You must think highly of the DWP if you think they bother to carry out these checks!

How do you think some foreign nationals manage to lie and claim benefits, that people with savings don't get caught unless they are tripped up? Exactly because they don't carry out such checks and rely on you telling the truth.
    Originally posted by _shel
    So, I guess they just process the claim and take your word for it?

If you're question was originally about PIP they definitely wouldn't contact your bank because it's not means tested. As shel has stated they don't contact anyone. If you were claiming a means tested benefit then they would ask for bank statements.
    I see. What if someone has a criminal conviction for say benefit fraud wouldn't they do checks to see before process any benefit claims? Would they not contact DBS or disclosure Scotland? I would assume they would? if they didn't and their auditors found out they would be in deep s*** and fined.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    • 17,693 Posts
    • 31,273 Thanks
    Ames
    Well if that's all that's needed I don't know what those who are transferred from DLA to PIP are worrying about with getting medical evidence as all that happens is they look at your DLA file and you will get the same award.
    Originally posted by gypsyteeny
    Because they don't usually look at the DLA file. There have been posters on here who have assumed that by ticking the consent box for looking at the DLA file everything will be fine, and have had their benefits stopped because the DWP didn't look. Unless the DWP policy has changed recently.

A GP will very often assume or even tell you that if DWP require any information then they will contact them. This isn't correct. It's the claimants responsibility to send the evidence to support a claim and prove you qualify and not their responsibility to prove you do. They very rarely contact anyone. This is the same for ESA and UC LCW.
    My old (rubbish) GP refused to give me a letter on the basis that 'they won't read it anyway'. He'd only help if the DWP asked him, so he knew they'd read it and he wasn't wasting his time.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Nov 18, 12:57 PM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    poppy12345

I see. What if someone has a criminal conviction for say benefit fraud wouldn't they do checks to see before process any benefit claims? Would they not contact DBS or disclosure Scotland? I would assume they would? if they didn't and their auditors found out they would be in deep s*** and fined.
    I still see no relevance to this and your original question about evidence.

What has a DBS got to do with claiming a benefit? Very few people claiming benefits fraudulently.

You'll be much better off spending your time gathering some evidence for the claim you're making than posting questions like this on here.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th Nov 18, 5:48 PM
    • 17,693 Posts
    • 31,273 Thanks
    Ames

What has a DBS got to do with claiming a benefit? Very few people claiming benefits fraudulently.

You'll be much better off spending your time gathering some evidence for the claim you're making than posting questions like this on here.
    I *think* that poster is saying what they think should happen, rather than what does happen.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • whambam
    • By whambam 10th Nov 18, 11:34 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    whambam

It asks you on the form about if you have been in prison, fines or community orders. I would imagine if you stated that they would want to see your DBS certificate.

I *think* that poster is saying what they think should happen, rather than what does happen.
    Originally posted by Ames
    You are correct. Major incompetence everywhere i see it on a daily basis dealing with several companies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter