Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gall10
    • By gall10 7th Nov 18, 2:40 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gall10
    Waspi trying to maximise state pension
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:40 PM
    Waspi trying to maximise state pension 7th Nov 18 at 2:40 PM
    Good afternoon everyone
    First time poster so a little bit nervous!!
    So...worked in public sector 44yrs. Online state pension forecast £135/week
    I am trying to maximise state pension & know each extra year worked will have increase my pension by a few quid (now that thereís no contracted out rate).
    My last estimate was based on NI contributions up to April 2018.
    If I give up work niw will I get any benefit from the 9 months contributions I have made this financial year? Or will it be beneficial if I leave at the end of the financial year I.e.end of March? Iím unsure if part-years count!!
    When I joined public sector pension scheme I wasnít given the option to Ďopt iní In a dream world could this be mis-selling? 😉
    Many thanks to anyone who replies...I find the whole of this site fascinating!
Page 2
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Nov 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3,508 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    State retirement date Oct Ď22. Not sure if I can pay NI after that???
    Originally posted by gall10
    You'll only be able to pay up to and including full financial year April 2021/April 2022.

ADD: Before someone picks me up on it, DWP may accept your payments from April 2022 to October 2022 - but they won't add a further penny to your State pension.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 10-11-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Nov 18, 12:18 PM
    • 3,091 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    Tom99
    You'll only be able to pay up to and including full financial year April 2021/April 2022.

ADD: Before someone picks me up on it, DWP may accept your payments from April 2022 to October 2022 - but they won't add a further penny to your State pension.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Crooks, they accepted £740 from me when they knew I was due a credit for that year.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    • 6,536 Posts
    • 7,083 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Either Kidmugsy and I have been to the same hospital recently or someone walking about with the tea trolley is more common than you might think.
    Originally posted by jamesperrett

I suspect it's quite common, but often carried out by volunteers rather than paid employees
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Nov 18, 12:57 PM
    • 6,536 Posts
    • 7,083 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Crooks, they accepted £740 from me when they knew I was due a credit for that year.
    Originally posted by Tom99

If that is the case, you should be able to get your payment back - someone on this board has certainly managed to in the past, although I can't remember how they went about it (and being pedantic, I believe it's HMRC that deal with the payments, not DWP - which is why they may not be immediately aware that you are being creditted via DWP) .
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Nov 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,091 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    Tom99
    If that is the case, you should be able to get your payment back - someone on this board has certainly managed to in the past, although I can't remember how they went about it (and being pedantic, I believe it's HMRC that deal with the payments, not DWP - which is why they may not be immediately aware that you are being creditted via DWP) .
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Yes I got the money back after a letter and a couple of phone calls.
    But I only knew I was due a credit from a poster on this forum. My state pension forecast and a letter I received both said 2017/18 was a year which needed to be paid for.
    • Triumph13
    • By Triumph13 10th Nov 18, 4:37 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Triumph13
    cross posted
    • Terron
    • By Terron 13th Nov 18, 1:52 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Terron
    Either Kidmugsy and I have been to the same hospital recently or someone walking about with the tea trolley is more common than you might think.
    Originally posted by jamesperrett

I have seen such people in my local hospital, but I don't know whether they are employed or volunteers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

890Posts Today

5,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today?s twitter poll: Do you believe BBC news reporting is biased on Brexit? In last week's poll, about left right? https://t.co/0I5nWrlfk1

• Oh the irony. Though to be fair to number 10, this probably sums up Brexit better than anything else I've seen... https://t.co/jfx47FUUYa

• That's almost exactly my journalistic philosophy. I never consider it a story if after checking it out I believe i? https://t.co/PxvHs456FC

• Follow Martin