Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lee8040
    • By lee8040 7th Nov 18, 1:45 PM
    • 534Posts
    • 263Thanks
    lee8040
    New build cracking near window frames
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:45 PM
    New build cracking near window frames 7th Nov 18 at 1:45 PM
    In the process of buying a new build saw it a month ago and was fine but yesterday viewed it again and 3 or 4 window sides are cracking slightly. Its by the edge where you'd put the metal edging strips when you plaster.
    Seller wants to leave it until Feb 19 for the viewing but I'm not happy. Do you think it maybe a problem or just settlement cracks?

https://ibb.co/gnFmJV
    https://ibb.co/dtYTXq
    https://ibb.co/dud6JV

Thanks
    Last edited by lee8040; 07-11-2018 at 1:59 PM.
Page 1
    • danlewi2
    • By danlewi2 7th Nov 18, 1:55 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    danlewi2
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:55 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:55 PM
    Most likely settlement cracks - surely you got a period tof fix any snagging issues - would probs give it a few months as you may find more.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Nov 18, 1:58 PM
    • 26,661 Posts
    • 96,086 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:58 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:58 PM
    You're on the wrong board, but you can put up pictures with an obvious gap in the link from the host site. People here will fix them.

You can't upload pictures directly from your computer.

This is really one for 'In My Home,' where all the builders hang out on their fag breaks, but people here go there too, and vice versa.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • lee8040
    • By lee8040 7th Nov 18, 2:01 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    lee8040
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:01 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:01 PM
    You're on the wrong board, but you can put up pictures with an obvious gap in the link from the host site. People here will fix them.

You can't upload pictures directly from your computer.

This is really one for 'In My Home,' where all the builders hang out on their fag breaks, but people here go there too, and vice versa.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    OK thanks is an admin able to move it?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    • 26,661 Posts
    • 96,086 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    Originally posted by lee8040
    They will if you don't get answers, but it looks as if you will. Best to let it run now.

Those don't look structural to me; more like shrinkage through bad plastering technique of some kind.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 7th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    • 38,152 Posts
    • 160,431 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    Originally posted by lee8040
    Yes. Moving it over for you.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • LUSK
    • By LUSK 7th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LUSK
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    Oops, i might have posted in the wrong section too.

I am experiencing similar issues but mine is not a new build - 14 years old.

To me, those cracks look pretty nasty but i am by no means an expert in such matters.

Here is a link to my post https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5920880

Will be interested to see hear peoples view on your cracks.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Nov 18, 4:54 PM
    • 26,661 Posts
    • 96,086 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:54 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:54 PM

To me, those cracks look pretty nasty but i am by no means an expert in such matters.

Here is a link to my post https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5920880
    Originally posted by LUSK
    I'm not an expert either, but provided the OP has shown us all there is to see, it seems your issue is completely different and more serious than the OP's.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 7th Nov 18, 5:20 PM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    phill99
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:20 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:20 PM
    Oops, i might have posted in the wrong section too.

Will be interested to see hear peoples view on your cracks.
    Originally posted by LUSK
    At 14 years old, yours is not a new build.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 7th Nov 18, 5:22 PM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    phill99
    OP I run a property maintenance company an come across this quite regularly.

As a new build, this is normal. Your house will settle for a couple of years.

Your builder has a 2 years liability defects period, so during that time, you must go to the builder and ask for these and any other defects to be rectified.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • lee8040
    • By lee8040 7th Nov 18, 8:16 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    lee8040
    OP I run a property maintenance company an come across this quite regularly.

As a new build, this is normal. Your house will settle for a couple of years.

Your builder has a 2 years liability defects period, so during that time, you must go to the builder and ask for these and any other defects to be rectified.
    Originally posted by phill99
    Thanks so they just look like settlement cracks?
    • lee8040
    • By lee8040 10th Nov 18, 2:38 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    lee8040
    Apparently the head of the building contractors is going round to view the damage. See what they say
    • jcb208
    • By jcb208 10th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    • 693 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    jcb208
    Looks like the corner plaster beads have not been fixed very well and moved.Not serious but should be sorted in the snags
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 10th Nov 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Looks like the corner plaster beads have not been fixed very well and moved.Not serious but should be sorted in the snags
    Originally posted by jcb208

I second this.

The metal will have different rates of expansion and contraction in heat/cold relative to the plaster.

I wouldnt worry about that, just see if they will come and sort the finishing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,937Posts Today

6,905Users online

Martin's Twitter