Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 7th Nov 18, 10:18 AM
    • 1,422Posts
    • 495Thanks
    kah22
    Cold Calls, how long do operators keep number
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:18 AM
    Cold Calls, how long do operators keep number 7th Nov 18 at 10:18 AM
    I was having breakfast this morning when a polite young lady rang telling me that I was entitled to compensation for the accident I had !

Anyway I know I can block these number one by one. Then I thought they’ll probably not use that number to contact me again, but will posssibly sell my details to another outfit.

It also occurred to me how long do these people keep the same number before moving onto another number that won’t be blocked

As a by the way the number was a Sheffield number 0114 052 3374

Kevin
    Illegitimi non carborundum
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Nov 18, 10:35 AM
    • 11,216 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:35 AM
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:35 AM
    You may get a diffrent number tommorow .
    Many numbers are spoofed.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 7th Nov 18, 10:36 AM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 2,777 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:36 AM
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:36 AM
    Get a call blocker dont get through mine at all in end they stop after a week or so. I have BT8610 phone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Cordless-Machine-Advanced-Blocking-Black/dp/B01AT6JCYE

I paid less than that though or refurb £40

https://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/bt-8610-twin-digital-cordless-phone-with-answer-machine-advanced-call-blocking.html
    Last edited by BargainGalore; 07-11-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    • bloss0m
    • By bloss0m 7th Nov 18, 10:49 AM
    • 966 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    bloss0m
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:49 AM
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:49 AM
    Its bad enough we have this scum ring us but phones are often used to scam people now. I would only answer the phone if I know the number. If its a legit business I ring them back by checking the number first. If everyone did this or blocked the numbers they soon would stop
    • kah22
    • By kah22 7th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    kah22
    • 7th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    Ah, excuse me, I should have said my mobile. I very seldom get these calls on my landline
    My mobile is with Tesco. What’s the best way to block these

Kevin
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 7th Nov 18, 5:59 PM
    • 3,265 Posts
    • 3,396 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:59 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 5:59 PM
    Just don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognise! If it's important they'll leave a message then it's up to you. If they don't leave a message it wasn't important and you probably wouldn't want to speak to them anyway. Your number will eventually fall off the list of likely victims and you won't be bothered. The lists of numbers that have been answered and are therefore "live" get sold on to the next would-be scammer.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 7th Nov 18, 6:39 PM
    • 5,217 Posts
    • 5,717 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:39 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:39 PM
    I tell them that it is my Mother you want, I ask them to hang on a minute and shout “ MAM”

I put the phone down without hanging up.

I have no ldea how long they wait?

( I am in my eighties)
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 7th Nov 18, 10:09 PM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 2,777 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:09 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 10:09 PM
    Its important you dont give your number out to everyone and I mean companies. There are some companies that obviously have no ethics and sell your number on. I never give my landline or mobile out, I do get calls on my landline but call blocker stops them 100%. I never though give me mobile number out for one thing I never recall it when asked and another its convenient for me that way. I never get cold calls on mobile and had this number well over 10 years. My landline gets them with chancers but I again rarely give that number out and as I used call blockers for almost 10 years they dont last long. I have used truecall for a very long time within a year or so it started, now I use the phone with it built in

Ah, excuse me, I should have said my mobile. I very seldom get these calls on my landline

Kevin
    Originally posted by kah22
    Last edited by BargainGalore; 08-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 8th Nov 18, 10:29 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    kangoora
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:29 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 10:29 PM
    Get a call blocker dont get through mine at all in end they stop after a week or so. I have BT8610 phone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Cordless-Machine-Advanced-Blocking-Black/dp/B01AT6JCYE

I paid less than that though or refurb £40

https://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/bt-8610-twin-digital-cordless-phone-with-answer-machine-advanced-call-blocking.html
    Originally posted by BargainGalore
    I'd recommend these BT call blockers phones. We didn't used to get many calls but still around 4-5/week. We've had the call blocker now for about a year and only 1 pushy git has actually called through.

I think they confuse the auto-diallers most of these cold call companies use as in the auto dialler isn't clever enough to respond to the message when you ring in. No doubt some clever b*****d will programme a new autodialler that gets round it at some point and we'll then need to get new blocker phones again
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 8th Nov 18, 10:36 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    zagfles
    We never seem to get any cold calls on the landline any more - used to get loads but generally I played games with them, was rude, vented my anger, whatever the mood took me. I think they have the opposite of a "suckers list", a "don't waste your time on this one" list Probably works better than a call blocker!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Nov 18, 4:12 AM
    • 27,969 Posts
    • 11,361 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Had one attempt to call recently, call blocker said 0203 number, but not enough digits for a proper UK number.

The BT 6510 call blocking phones showed the call as international.

Pretty sure these calls could be blocked by the major phone companies without too much trouble.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 10th Nov 18, 11:11 AM
    • 12,937 Posts
    • 11,549 Thanks
    savemoney
    The recent clamp down on cold callers hasn't work as they simple bypass UK law as there often overseas and use spoofing and voip.
    • imho
    • By imho 11th Nov 18, 4:18 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    imho

Kevin
    Originally posted by kah22
    Look on Google Play Store if you have a Android Mobile.
    Look for call blocker but look at reviews.
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Nov 18, 5:03 PM
    • 9,780 Posts
    • 4,918 Thanks
    missile
    The recent clamp down on cold callers hasn't work as they simple bypass UK law as there often overseas and use spoofing and voip.
    Originally posted by savemoney
    Did it ever work?
    Call me a cynic but I suspect many call centres use the Telephone Preference List as a call me list.
    https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/prosecution-rates-for-breach-of-tps-ctps.255263/
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 11th Nov 18, 6:43 PM
    • 12,937 Posts
    • 11,549 Thanks
    savemoney
    They recently changed the law and you now have to give consent rather than opt out. I read a article other day that its still not working due to oversees calls, and number spoofing.

The cynic in me thinks phone companies aren't bothered as they make money on the calls, but everyone is fed up of these calls now especially from claims companies. When my phone rings I automatically assume its a cold call most calls never get through although I know they called.

They need stop this phone spoofing obviously its some how getting around the system

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/09/government-crackdown-ppi-cold-calls-not-working-data-suggests/

Did it ever work?
    Call me a cynic but I suspect many call centres use the Telephone Preference List as a call me list.
    https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/prosecution-rates-for-breach-of-tps-ctps.255263/
    Originally posted by missile
    Last edited by savemoney; 11-11-2018 at 6:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

588Posts Today

5,889Users online

Martin's Twitter