Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kurtcobainmedico
    • By kurtcobainmedico 6th Nov 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kurtcobainmedico
    Buying house-sitting crack external wall
    • 6th Nov 18, 8:27 PM
    Buying house-sitting crack external wall 6th Nov 18 at 8:27 PM
    Hi, we are very near to exchanging contract and building survey has pointed this out. Only highlighted in amber for concern. How worried should we be? Worth paying structural engineer to have a look? Thanks for any advise. Unable to post image as new user but the report says :

There is evidence of movement in the form of
    vertical cracks to the side extension and we
    recommend this be monitored by a structural
    engineer with tell tale gauges to ensure this is not
    progressive.
    Where there is evidence of previous movement to
    the property, it would be prudent to maintain the
    existing insurance cover to ensure there is
    continuity in the event of any future claim.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    • 45,954 Posts
    • 55,514 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    Monitoring to see if it is progressive will take 6 - 12 months.

I'd want to know before Exchange.

Ask a structural engineer for an opinion.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 6th Nov 18, 10:30 PM
    • 5,534 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    societys child
    • 6th Nov 18, 10:30 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 10:30 PM
    vertical cracks to the side extension
    How big is the extension and where are the cracks in relation to the main building?

• lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 7th Nov 18, 6:56 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:56 AM
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:56 AM
    Does that mean subsidence?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Nov 18, 8:49 AM
    • 19,129 Posts
    • 17,532 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:49 AM
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:49 AM
    Does that mean subsidence?
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    It might, it might not.

Subsidence might be one cause of progressive movement. You don't yet know whether there IS progressive movement - that's what they're recommending you ascertain.

I'd be walking away, unless it's a dirt-cheap project.
    • kurtcobainmedico
    • By kurtcobainmedico 8th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kurtcobainmedico
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    Thanks to all who replied. It's a small side extension with utility room. Crack is right at the junction between this and main building wall. It's not very wide but running almost half way to the length of the wall. I spoke to surveyor and he thinks quite certain it is the extension and not the main wall. He has said 20k for underpinning and rebuilding extension. I told agents that pulling out but the seller is agreeing to do structural survey at her own cost. Am not sure if the survey is ok will I be safe? Will it still have impact on insurance, selling and remortgaging. They may say it's historical crack so where will I stand. Quite stuck now. Thanks again for looking and suggestions.
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 9th Nov 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    oldwiring
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:27 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:27 PM
    Thanks to all who replied. It's a small side extension with utility room. Crack is right at the junction between this and main building wall. It's not very wide but running almost half way to the length of the wall. I spoke to surveyor and he thinks quite certain it is the extension and not the main wall. He has said 20k for underpinning and rebuilding extension. I told agents that pulling out but the seller is agreeing to do structural survey at her own cost. Am not sure if the survey is ok will I be safe? Will it still have impact on insurance, selling and remortgaging. They may say it's historical crack so where will I stand. Quite stuck now. Thanks again for looking and suggestions.
    Originally posted by kurtcobainmedico
    I'm none too sure about the seller getting the survey done. The surveyor will NOT be working for you.
    As to picture, you could upload to Google One Drive and post a shareable link to the forum. I hope the rules allow that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

427Posts Today

4,266Users online

Martin's Twitter