Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 6th Nov 18, 7:00 PM
    • 419Posts
    • 224Thanks
    Deastons
    Are National Express drivers trained to stay in the middle lane?
    • 6th Nov 18, 7:00 PM
    Are National Express drivers trained to stay in the middle lane? 6th Nov 18 at 7:00 PM
    I first noticed it a few months ago - every time I see a National Express coach on the motorway, it's in the middle lane. I've now seen it far too much for it to be a coincidence.

Lane 1 can be completely empty for as far as the eye can see, but the the coach will be sitting in lane 2 at a steady 65mph-ish.

These are professional drivers, so I can't believe it's just lazy lane hogging. So do National Express train their drivers to stay in lane 2? Is there some sort of safety aspect? A coach is carrying up to 50-odd people after all.
Page 3
    • James2k
    • By James2k 9th Nov 18, 9:15 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    James2k
    Do you think
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    No i don't suppose he does
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Nov 18, 1:27 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    sevenhills

The speed limit for goods vehicles OVER 7.5t was and still is 60MPH.
    Originally posted by Tarambor

Our own Government do make rules too, although they are so incompetent, it probably never happened.

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Nov 18, 8:24 AM
    • 19,061 Posts
    • 17,465 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Our own Government do make rules too, although they are so incompetent, it probably never happened.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    UK speed limits are 100% decided by the UK government, nobody else. Never have been.

It was the UK government's decision alone to raise the 7.5t+ single carriageway limit from 40 to 50mph in 2015. In fact, that limit change didn't even apply to Scotland, because Scottish legislation is separate to that of England and Wales.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 10th Nov 18, 2:03 PM
    • 3,518 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    Tilt
    I'm a coach/bus driver.

I have seen NE coaches using all 3 lanes on a 3 lane motorway, including the outside (or lane 3) on some occasions. But I wouldn't agree that they are known for hogging the middle lane.

Also, I have had them regularly overtake me while i've been doing 62mph (or 100kph which is what PCVs are limited to, despite being able to legally do 70mph on motorways).

Odd, isn't it?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin