Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 6th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should my housemate pay me back for my veg he's eaten?
    • 6th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should my housemate pay me back for my veg he's eaten? 6th Nov 18 at 4:36 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

He keeps taking vegetables I've bought that are about to go 'out of date', presumably as they'll be past their best before when I get to them. Even if technically 'out of date', I often don't mind eating them, yet they're gone. Should I ask him to stop or for money to buy new stuff?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • IrishWasherWoman
    • By IrishWasherWoman 7th Nov 18, 12:11 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    IrishWasherWoman
    Eating your veggies
    1. I'd make it VERY CLEAR that they cannot do this, (and they wouldn't even know what dates are on your packaging unless they'd been rummaging through your stuff anyway, do you have separate shelves or boxes? This could make their behaviour more obviously wrong, and may deter.)
    2. You could make a point of taking off all shop packaging, loosely wrap the veg. in kitchen paper, and put into a sandwich/freezer bag on which you then write your name clearly.
    This way they are left without excuse - there's no date to follow, and they can't see the condition of the food at a casual glance.
    This person is a shameless scrounger, and needs to be called out in no uncertain terms.
    What are they like with toothpaste, shower gel, washing powder etc.?
    We all have to pay our own way.
    • lewisia
    • By lewisia 7th Nov 18, 2:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lewisia
    Not really a dilemma but just ask him not to take them without asking first.
    • Augustus the Strong
    • By Augustus the Strong 7th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Augustus the Strong
    Just tell him, 'stop nicking my vegetables'. If he says they were going off, tell him that's your business not his.
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Nov 18, 5:46 PM
    • 18,746 Posts
    • 111,993 Thanks
    maman
    Some people don't like social media so won't register for forums, facebook etc.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99

So why have they signed up for the newsletter and sent a crazy question in to the mse team?

Probably so they can look on from afar and poke fun at the posters who answer their questions in good faith. Just another form of trolling IMO.
    • hairypitz
    • By hairypitz 7th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    hairypitz
    Ask your flatnate if they wouldn't mind asking you before taking any of your stuff or sharing the meal he/she has cooked using your produce with you.
    • primrose penguin
    • By primrose penguin 7th Nov 18, 8:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    primrose penguin
    primrose penguin
    This must be the daftest question yet!! I suggest you eat your fruit and veg up before the sell by date, why buy it if you nearly always leave it until after the date, at least it is not getting wasted!!
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 7th Nov 18, 8:44 PM
    • 2,025 Posts
    • 2,298 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    How do people get by in life if they need to ask for public opinion on trivial matters such as this?
    • gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 8th Nov 18, 8:54 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    gaving7095
    He should leave your food alone.
    Maybe between you, you could have an agreed shelf or area where you each put food that you don't want, or for any reason don't mind the other person eating.
    • Wings of Ambition
    • By Wings of Ambition 10th Nov 18, 2:48 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Wings of Ambition
    Every week, people complain that the question is clearly made up or utterly pointless. Here's an idea - don't read it! You're like a sea of Victor Meldrews - you're not happy unless you're moaning. Take it somewhere else, for goodness sake. I enjoy the MMD, and every week, I have to wade through these numerous miserable posts to find people actually providing an answer. Get off your high horses, and if you really can't stand the content here, there's always the option to do us all a favour and delete your MSE Forums account.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 10th Nov 18, 3:10 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 2,804 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    Every week, people complain that the question is clearly made up or utterly pointless. Here's an idea - don't read it! You're like a sea of Victor Meldrews - you're not happy unless you're moaning. Take it somewhere else, for goodness sake. I enjoy the MMD, and every week, I have to wade through these numerous miserable posts to find people actually providing an answer. Get off your high horses, and if you really can't stand the content here, there's always the option to do us all a favour and delete your MSE Forums account.
    Originally posted by Wings of Ambition

Every week, I read the MMD so I can enjoy the sarky replies, but there's always someone moaning that folk aren't just answering the question. Considering that 99% of the MMDs either have a simple answer or don't contain enough information to give a useful answer, I feel that these people can't possibly be missing out on much. What a bunch of spoil sports. They really ought to delete their accounts just because they get annoyed over the responses to one thread out of the hundreds posted each week.
    • Wings of Ambition
    • By Wings of Ambition 10th Nov 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Wings of Ambition
    Sarcastic replies are fine, but "Omg, MSE are so useless, why can't they come up with better questions", "we've seen this before", "this is a stupid question". Precisely what value does this add? It doesn't... it detracts from the replies - sarcastic or otherwise.

Why do they do this? What is the point?
    Originally posted by Auntie-Dolly
    Why do we have these? Surely if I had any advice I would contribute on the original thread.
    Originally posted by suejb2
    Really? Really?
    Originally posted by Money maker
    ...surely the mse team have better things to do with their time than pass on this sort of nonsense
    Originally posted by maman
    Who dreams these up ? Really , they seem to get worse by the week.
    Originally posted by marich
    So why have they signed up for the newsletter and sent a crazy question in to the mse team?

Probably so they can look on from afar and poke fun at the posters who answer their questions in good faith. Just another form of trolling IMO.
    Originally posted by maman
    This must be the daftest question yet!!
    Originally posted by primrose penguin
    How do people get by in life if they need to ask for public opinion on trivial matters such as this?
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Last edited by Wings of Ambition; 10-11-2018 at 3:25 PM.
    • JillieA
    • By JillieA 15th Nov 18, 2:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    JillieA
    Harmonious Living Matters Most
    If you share a home with an individual who is separate from you, it can be tricky to maintain a harmonious atmosphere. Neither party should be a 'door-mat' for the sake of peace, but smaller niggles are better dealt with diplomatically because a pleasant home life is nicer and more important for you than a matter of a few veggies. How about getting a separate basket, or container in the fridge, and telling your housemate that if items are too out of date for you, you will put them there and they can then help themselves, but please don't take things from your own basket as you haven't time to shop for two. Asking for payment for veg which are going over seems a bit penny-pinching and mean and it is the inconvenience that seems to be more of an issue for you than the cost. If your house-mate abides by that - hopefully problem solved?
    • JillieA
    • By JillieA 15th Nov 18, 2:15 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    JillieA
    That's a bit impatient, Firefly. When you live with someone, such little niggles can become far from "trivial". You could take the view 'man up and tell him what's what' but why cause a drama if someone can suggest a more diplomatic solution? No one is so clever they never need to ask for advice.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 15th Nov 18, 2:41 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 7,120 Thanks
    ska lover
    Make him bend over and insert them up his horrifice

that will stop him
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,329Posts Today

7,450Users online

Martin's Twitter