Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Petstalk
    • By Petstalk 6th Nov 18, 11:54 AM
    • 110Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Petstalk
    Mobile Phone For My mum
    • 6th Nov 18, 11:54 AM
    Mobile Phone For My mum 6th Nov 18 at 11:54 AM
    Hi

I am looking to take out a mobile phone for my mum. I am on a low bugget(low Income) Could you help give your thoughts what would be the best way. SIM only? Or contract deal with phone.

I am with EE. Would I get good deals with having a second number?
    Or should I go to a different mobile phone provider?

EE offer refurbished J3 for 10 a month.

Is there a better time to get deals. Or better time of year to get best deals.

I currently have the A3 EE 13 a month.
Page 1
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 6th Nov 18, 12:33 PM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 6th Nov 18, 12:33 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 12:33 PM
    What will her usage be? If it's just to receive calls and access the Internet at home via WiFi then an unlocked sim free phone and a payg sim with 3 would make sense.

If she dials out calls a lot then a cheap sim only deal with someone like Plusnet would be more suitable.

If you really want to go down the contract routes then take a look at giffgaff. They have a range of refurbished phones and various goody bags.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Nov 18, 1:33 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 6th Nov 18, 1:33 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 1:33 PM
    As Neil says, it depends on her usage requirements, and smartphone or non-. Tell us more...
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 9th Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    J3 has quite a few version. which year they referring to?

Are you looking for contract phone only?

Is there an option of spending 100 - 130 for a phone, then do PAYG if she is low user?
    • oldernonethewiser
    • By oldernonethewiser 9th Nov 18, 9:04 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    oldernonethewiser
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:04 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:04 PM
    If she only needs it to use as an "old fashioned" phone then you could spend less than 15 on a phone with a PAYG SIM in it.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 10th Nov 18, 3:23 PM
    • 3,995 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:23 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:23 PM
    Hi

I am looking to take out a mobile phone for my mum. I am on a low bugget(low Income) Could you help give your thoughts what would be the best way. SIM only? Or contract deal with phone.

I am with EE. Would I get good deals with having a second number?
    Or should I go to a different mobile phone provider?

EE offer refurbished J3 for 10 a month.

Is there a better time to get deals. Or better time of year to get best deals.

I currently have the A3 EE 13 a month.
    Originally posted by Petstalk
    No information on proposed usage so it's a "How long is a piece of string" question.

My elderly relative who uses a mobile phone only for calls and texts and rarely, has a TTfone TT110 2g mobile phone and O2 Classic PAYG SIM. O2 Classic PAYG is a 1p/2p/3p tariff and the credit doesn't expire so long as there is a periodic chargeable event.
    https://www.ttfone.com
    • PDC
    • By PDC 10th Nov 18, 5:43 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    PDC
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:43 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:43 PM
    Yes we bought a TTfone from Amazon with a pay as you go sim when my elderly father needed a phone - its basic but perfect for him as it only has a few buttons, they are large and clear and the battery lasts around a week.
    • vickssinex
    • By vickssinex 12th Nov 18, 3:48 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    vickssinex
    • 12th Nov 18, 3:48 PM
    • 12th Nov 18, 3:48 PM
    If your Mum doesn't need internet access then look at a SIM only deal through Asda which at 8p a minute is good value, plus you can top up 5 a time so if her account is suspended for low use she won't lose as much.

For phones Doro makes some especially for older users, with big bright displays and buttons. These can be a bit pricey new but they come up on eBay from time to time. Tesco Mobile were clearing stock a while back and I got one for my Dad and he thinks it's great.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 12th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    • 12th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    You'd probably do better with either O2 Classic PAYG or Three PAYG. Both are 3p/min call, 2p/min text, 1p/Mb data.

Chose whichever gives the best coverage where you are.

Both are 10 min top up, and a chargeable event has to be made at least every six months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,612Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin