Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JSmith321
    • By JSmith321 6th Nov 18, 10:03 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JSmith321
    Warm Home Discount Criteria
    • 6th Nov 18, 10:03 AM
    Warm Home Discount Criteria 6th Nov 18 at 10:03 AM
    Does anyone know why different suppliers have different criteria for the "Warm Home Discount". I'm a full time carer on low income supporting an elderly mother who receives attendance allowance. EDF says I don't qualify but First Utility says I do. The government provide a list of suppliers along with their conditions. https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/energy-suppliers
Page 2
    • tillycat123
    • By tillycat123 9th Nov 18, 9:20 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    tillycat123
    My only income is State Pension, and that's currently about £3 per week higher than Pension Credit. Npower just told me that I won't be eligible for the broader group, even though I receive Council Tax Reduction. Has anyone else on the new State Pension been given the same answer?
    Originally posted by chuckie851

Yes, switched my mum to bulb, she is exact same boat and situation as you and they have also said no. She moved from SSE and got it every year, not pleased
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 9th Nov 18, 10:48 PM
    • 6,433 Posts
    • 4,824 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    I live with my dad, and he appears to qualify for WHD as a member of the “broader group”, so I applied to British Gas on his behalf some time ago.

We are considering changing some of the household bills into my name as he is signing the house over to me. However, if the energy bill is changed to my name, will this mean my dad no longer qualifies for WHD? I’m not sure if British Gas allow joint names on accounts.

I assume Winter Fuel and Cold Weather payments are unaffected and you don’t have to be named on your household’s energy bill to qualify.
    Originally posted by Lockardian
    Read section A + B

So if your dad still lives @ that address the answer is yes. If not you need to quality as the householder. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 10th Nov 18, 12:00 AM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    Joyful
    Lockardian

Do you live with your dad? If so your income would also get taken into account. Likewise if your name is added to the account. If in your name only the whole household income would have to be under £16190 plus have someone on the State pension to qualify for BG.
    ****Released the reins and am now Self employed****
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 10th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Anthorn
    My only income is State Pension, and that's currently about £3 per week higher than Pension Credit. Npower just told me that I won't be eligible for the broader group, even though I receive Council Tax Reduction. Has anyone else on the new State Pension been given the same answer?
    Originally posted by chuckie851
    A relative, the mother of my daughter-in-law is in the same position: She gets the new state pension which is higher than the old state pension and therefore doesn't get the guarantee element of Pension Credit to make up her overall pension and therefore doesn't qualify for the core group and therefore doesn't get Warm Home Discount. Further, her state pension is not means tested and therefore she doesn't qualify for the broader group.

All you really can do is hawk yourself around energy suppliers and switch to the supplier who promises to give you WHD, if any.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 10th Nov 18, 3:01 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I live with my dad, and he appears to qualify for WHD as a member of the “broader group”, so I applied to British Gas on his behalf some time ago.

We are considering changing some of the household bills into my name as he is signing the house over to me. However, if the energy bill is changed to my name, will this mean my dad no longer qualifies for WHD? I’m not sure if British Gas allow joint names on accounts.

I assume Winter Fuel and Cold Weather payments are unaffected and you don’t have to be named on your household’s energy bill to qualify.
    Originally posted by Lockardian
    The two main rules for the core group are that he lives at the address and his name is on the electricity bill. So therefore if that's changed to your name your dad will not be entitled to WHD in the core group. For the broader group I should think that most suppliers will impose the same rules because WHD is a discount and not a payment.

However the rules for the core group are there due to automatic data matching which identifies qualified recipients. But for the broader group suppliers largely use their discretion so it depends on the rules imposed by the supplier.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

890Posts Today

5,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today?s twitter poll: Do you believe BBC news reporting is biased on Brexit? In last week's poll, about left right? https://t.co/0I5nWrlfk1

• Oh the irony. Though to be fair to number 10, this probably sums up Brexit better than anything else I've seen... https://t.co/jfx47FUUYa

• That's almost exactly my journalistic philosophy. I never consider it a story if after checking it out I believe i? https://t.co/PxvHs456FC

• Follow Martin