Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 4th Nov 18, 9:02 PM
    • 2,534Posts
    • 36,214Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 5th November 2018
    • 4th Nov 18, 9:02 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 5th November 2018 4th Nov 18 at 9:02 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Thank you to Valli for last week's thread

There are 3 levels per day with depending on how much time you have. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal circumstances.

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week:

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Ok here goes this week!

Monday Mayhem - Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level One...

Vacuum floors and sofas
    Level Two...
    Dusting, even if around everything
    Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
    Water any thirsty plants, wipe their poor neglected leaves!!
    Level Three...
    Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
    Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
    Tidy shoes, coats and bags .. wash any that need washing in preparation for cold weather!! See if there are any that don't fit, past their best or just plain uncomfy which could leave the house!
    Put up linings or winter curtains to keep out those draughts.

Extra Mission:
    Pick one or more of the following tasks Ė
    • If you are wanting to take part in the flylady christmas card swap please PM me your details!! .. Mse name, name and address .
    • Paperwork clearance.. spend 15 minutes minimum sorting through those piles of paper.
    • Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
    • Clean a window or two.
    • Binbag dance.. Get a binbag.. fill it and bin it!!!
    • Ring someone you love, just to tell them you love them!!
    • Clear as may hotspots as you can.. see if you can get it all into one pile instead of 15!!!

Terrible Tuesday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One...
    Clean floors
    Level Two...
    Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
    Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front, clean out any spills or grots in there!
    Wipe dining table.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
    Level Three...
    Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
    Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
    Descale kettle and iron
    Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
    Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!
    Extra Mission
    Choose one or more of:
    • Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
    • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
    • Clean oven if you didn't do it last week
    • 30 minutes ironing.

Wacky Wednesday - those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
    Level One...
    Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
    Spend at least half an hour doing something for yourself!!!!! Paint your nails, make an appointment to have your hair done, a lovely soak in the bath.. whatever you feel like!!
    Level Two...
    Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Donít forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
    Level Three...
    Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
    Extra Task List
    • Wash a set of curtains, nets, duvet or throw
    • Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
    • 30 minutes ironing.. You know you love doing it!!!!
    • Grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!

Thrilling Thursday - Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level One...

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level Two...
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen.. do you need that winter duvet yet?
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level Three...
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
    Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.

Extra tasks list
    • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Put away those summer clothes from someones cupboard and get out the winter woollies.. donít store anything that is past its best! Make a list of things you need to buy!!
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Check house for places where draughts are getting in.. doors, windows etc and see if there are ways to stop it!
    • Clean out that airing cupboard!!!!!! get rid of those things you don't need.. use dead towels as cleaning cloths etc.. be ruthless!!!! you REALLY don't need that 'thing' you've saved for 10 years.. 'just in case' If you did this last week.. you can do the under the stairs cupboard!!

Freaky Friday- Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One...

Clean floors in these rooms
    Level Two...
    Clean baths, toilets and sinks
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
    Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
    Level Three...
    Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom..
    Delete 10 links in your favourites which you no longer use or are dead!
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Clear a mega hotspot!.. shred it.. and fling it.. or just burn it! .. Does anyone have a pulper to make logs from their old papers??

Extra mission:
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Check through those bottles.. what can be flung/decanted/and do you not need to buy until the year 3000?? Do you know Iíve not bought any shampoo since 2003!!!!!!!
    • clean the radiators and woodwork in these rooms
    • Get those uniforms, games kits, coats and things in the wash which you will need on Monday
    • Scrub down the dirty marks on the walls in these rooms, and any dirty marks on the walls. When did you last clean 'under the rim'? Get a mirror and check it out.. how gross??? Wash any chair covers/throws/blinds etc. When did you last replace the bath sponges & toothbrushes??
    Last edited by Natty68; 08-11-2018 at 9:09 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 4
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 9th Nov 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 31,048 Thanks
    dancemum
    Pigpen So sorry Moo has having to go through this. Kind thoughts to you all x

It is over a year here since we have been in the pass the parcel circle of trying to get some help. I am sick of telling our story and then being past to another worker endlessly. I think they are wasting time until he is 18 and out of child services. I have to go on more parenting courses and DS2 is getting anger lessons. SW said it is not a SS issue and we should call the police on him. Great for someone with very low self esteem.

House tickled
    Towels washed
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 10th Nov 18, 3:01 PM
    • 25,187 Posts
    • 101,498 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    TY all.. Moomin is very down today.. yesterday evening school took it upon themselves to ring cf and reward his abusive behaviour by telling him how unhappy and hurt she is. So I have had a growl at them and said they are not to pass any information to him without her say so. The police officers we spoke to on Wednesday said she was competent enough to make that decision. Why would they tell the abuser such details about their victim other than to pat them on the bck and tell them 'job well done' ... I then had the CAMHS nurse ring and tell them it wasn't helpful and Moo would not trust them or disclose anything to them if she thought they would report back to him every 5 minutes... thankfully she understood I wasn't being the 'psycho-ex' I just want Moomin in control of that situation not him to have power over her to use her mental health against her. I was sensible and rational and explained in detail.. and also added she is the 7th child he has done this too and I have got the others through and we would work together to help Moomin... but I am raging!!!

Dishwasher is not insured so I am buying a second hand cheapy one and using that until it dies whilst saving up for a new one. It is the cheapest option long term.

Roland has not yet died
    My pots are not washed
    The washing is not done

I have spent most of this week on the phone to a variety of organisations trying to keep my daughter alive.. a million more calls and appointments next week and hopefully we will start to turn a corner.
    Originally posted by pigpen

Some people simply cannot conceive of a parent being so wicked as to enjoy making their child suffer and believe that all they have to do is say that their child is unhappy and that'll make the parent feel sad and change their ways. Same way some can't believe that a parent would physically harm their child, a determined, articulate and assertive person could have been abused by their ex or that (and apologies to those with Faith) that a priest/respected member of the congregation/Leader of the Cubs could do disgusting things or that there's anything that can't be fixed by a few prayers/somebody coming to believe in the salvation of their Immortal Soul. If they can't comprehend that there are bad people who are malicious, cruel, manipulative and vicious with no redeeming qualities, then they don't/can't accept that a situation is how it's been told to them.

I despise those people even more than the abusers, as their stupidity/unwillingness to acknowledge that the world is not a cosy, happy, lovely place means they enable abusers to continue unchallenged. It has nearly got me into trouble before now, as I've opened my mouth and told people giving 'training' in how to deal with angry people, what 'victims' want, etc, that what they are suggesting is going to make things worse.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Nov 18, 4:53 PM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 125,346 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Long drive done, weather wonderful that end, came back to chucking down rain.

Munched a sandwich
    Off to do kitchen and hall way
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 10th Nov 18, 6:42 PM
    • 36,863 Posts
    • 474,401 Thanks
    pigpen
    Some people simply cannot conceive of a parent being so wicked as to enjoy making their child suffer and believe that all they have to do is say that their child is unhappy and that'll make the parent feel sad and change their ways. Same way some can't believe that a parent would physically harm their child, a determined, articulate and assertive person could have been abused by their ex or that (and apologies to those with Faith) that a priest/respected member of the congregation/Leader of the Cubs could do disgusting things or that there's anything that can't be fixed by a few prayers/somebody coming to believe in the salvation of their Immortal Soul. If they can't comprehend that there are bad people who are malicious, cruel, manipulative and vicious with no redeeming qualities, then they don't/can't accept that a situation is how it's been told to them.

I despise those people even more than the abusers, as their stupidity/unwillingness to acknowledge that the world is not a cosy, happy, lovely place means they enable abusers to continue unchallenged. It has nearly got me into trouble before now, as I've opened my mouth and told people giving 'training' in how to deal with angry people, what 'victims' want, etc, that what they are suggesting is going to make things worse.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

exactly!! When we were doing the divorce I had CAFCASS ring me and they become utterly stuck on the fact I didn't leave.. they couldn't comprehend the fact I had nowhere to go with 8 children... how many would?? They refused to listen to how abusive he was to me and the children and how his behaviour continued to cause problems they just kept saying 'so why didn't you leave?'.... because I had no effing where to go you morons!!!! I was that mashed in the head I didn't even see how bad the situation was until we were rid of him.. But it is still ongoing.. they talk to him and he does the smarmy holier than thou, posh telephone voice and pretends like he is bothered or upset then turns around and spews more lies and abuse and SS and school lap it up like starving beasts... because the opinion and experience and feelings of all of us is clearly just made up!! I'm a 'this is me' kind of person.. no pretence, no fakeness, just total brutal honesty... it is utterly infuriating.

He is now using parental alienation to get Quaverface away from her siblings and me, and coercive manipulation to get her to lie for him and she is so completely brainwashed it is so sad to see.. but give him a couple of years and he will do all this to her.. if he doesn't kill her before then.

The best thing he could do for these children is die!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 £51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 10th Nov 18, 7:21 PM
    • 25,187 Posts
    • 101,498 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    exactly!! When we were doing the divorce I had CAFCASS ring me and they become utterly stuck on the fact I didn't leave.. they couldn't comprehend the fact I had nowhere to go with 8 children.
    Originally posted by pigpen
    I had the predecessor of CAFCASS sit on my bed and tell me that if I apologised, my ex would take me back, marry me and I could have more babies so I wouldn't be sad that I 'wasn't around' from when Offspring #1 was 9 months old until a year and a half. Wasn't around? That !!!!!!! disappeared into the depths of another county with my daughter on the pretence of popping round the corner to see his Mum just after I'd finished feeding her and wouldn't let me see her again until the court ordered it an entire year later.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 11th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 125,346 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

WM is on
    Bed stripped and remade
    Bleach down the toilets
    Bins emptied

Got to:-
    Hoover whole house
    Sort Kitchen
    Make food list
    Plan Nov and Dec (money / travel/ presents/ bills/ etc etc)
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Valli
    • By Valli 11th Nov 18, 9:48 AM
    • 20,709 Posts
    • 235,151 Thanks
    Valli
    Dining room and kitchen vacuumed. A bird. Dead. Feathers everywhere. Aargh.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 11th Nov 18, 10:19 AM
    • 795 Posts
    • 9,546 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Wm and dw on.
    Clean washing sorted.
    Feeling unsettled, but it's due to Armistice Day. I have my grandad's records and fight for medical support after WW1 and it gets me every time.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 11th Nov 18, 11:40 AM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 21,467 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all,

Thank you for the well wishes; the meeting went very well DH has to do some tough things this week, but he's just got to pull his socks up and get on with it. I feel much better about the whole thing, and we have a plan.

I've just done a very wet dog walk, and DH is out with the children for another ten minutes or so. Our bedding is in the wash, DDs has been washed and and is in the TD.

Easy dinner of fajitas tonight, we all need our Sunday baths too

Piggers you are in my thoughts xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 11th Nov 18, 1:03 PM
    • 36,863 Posts
    • 474,401 Thanks
    pigpen
    Jojo.. their attitude is repugnant.. making victims feel 100 times worse than they already did! My dad didn't let my mother see me for several months after they split, I was 3.. it is extremely cruel. its just more control and abuse.. they should be prosecuted quicker.. or at all, that would be good. I've just been told off by a plod for not reporting him threatening me and harassing me.. I am just of the opinion his words do not hurt me any more because I know he is nuts.. so while he is saying rubbish about me he is leaving the children alone.. I did mention he had reported incidents to the police and told them it was definitely me.. lol.. thankfully, it never was, nor will it be!
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 11th Nov 18, 1:45 PM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 125,346 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Hoover is done, bagless thighy cleaned
    Kitchen done
    Bins done
    Food shop done
    Local service in high street attended
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 11th Nov 18, 2:55 PM
    • 3,631 Posts
    • 18,975 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Hi all.

Hugs for all those dealing with a rubbishy time at the moment.

Yesterday was a bit of a day!
    I had volunteered to help out at Park Run, but my scooter died on the way and I was stranded at the big roundabout for a while until I managed to get it started again and limped to the garage.
    Initial thoughts is there is crud in the fuel lines causing a blockage.

By the time I got home the tortoises lamp had blown, and shorted the second fuse in as many days.
    Took it to the pet shop who discoved the switch on the wire was faulty, so he cut it for me and re-wired it. It now works, even thou the wire is super short now. £32.50 for a new bulb
    Met up with a couple of friends in the afternoon for a catch up and a coffee.

Today I have managed a run, so definately feeling better, little bit of coughing still, but almost back to normal.

Monday Mayhem - Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level One...

Level Two...
    Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
    Level Three...
    Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
    Extra Mission:
    Pick one or more of the following tasks Ė
    • Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
    • Clean a window or two.
    • Binbag dance.. Get a binbag.. fill it and bin it!!!
    • Ring someone you love, just to tell them you love them!!
    Terrible Tuesday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One...
    Clean floors Vacuumed, not yet washed.
    Level Two...
    Level Three...
    Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
    Descale kettle and iron
    Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
    Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!
    Extra Mission
    Choose one or more of:
    • Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
    • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
    • Clean oven if you didn't do it last week
    Wacky Wednesday - those frightening kids dogs room and spare rooms
    Level One...
    Level Two...
    Level Three...
    Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
    Extra Task List
    • Wash a set of curtains, nets, duvet or throw
    • Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
    • Grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
    Thrilling Thursday - Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level One...

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level Two...
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen.. do you need that winter duvet yet?
    Level Three...
    Extra tasks list
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Check house for places where draughts are getting in.. doors, windows etc and see if there are ways to stop it!
    • Clean out that airing cupboard!!!!!! get rid of those things you don't need.. use dead towels as cleaning cloths etc.. be ruthless!!!! you REALLY don't need that 'thing' you've saved for 10 years.. 'just in case' If you did this last week.. you can do the under the stairs cupboard!
    Freaky Friday- Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One...

Clean floors in these rooms
    Level Two...
    Clean baths, toilets and sinks
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!

Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
    Level Three...
    Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom..
    Delete 10 links in your favourites which you no longer use or are dead!
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Clear a mega hotspot!.. shred it.. and fling it.. or just burn it!

Extra mission:
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Check through those bottles.. what can be flung/decanted/and do you not need to buy until the year 3000?? Do you know Iíve not bought any shampoo since 2003!!!!!!!
    • clean the radiators and woodwork in these rooms
    • Get those uniforms, games kits, coats and things in the wash which you will need on Monday
    • Scrub down the dirty marks on the walls in these rooms, and any dirty marks on the walls. When did you last clean 'under the rim'? Get a mirror and check it out.. how gross??? Wash any chair covers/throws/blinds etc. When did you last replace the bath sponges & toothbrushes?
    Bf has helped today by emptying the bins, putting a wash on & hanging up the first load, and doing the dishes. What a good boy

Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov NSD's - 12/20 / Lose weight -12.4 lbs / 22.2 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £700/£1300
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 11th Nov 18, 4:56 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 38,727 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Have been absent, and seems like I have missed a lot.

Pigpen you are bl@@dy amazing, Sorry that life always seems to thrown so much !!!! in your direction.

atb glad you have made progress sorting things out with DHs business - hope you will be OK managing work and the kids with him away. Then again its a case of having to get on with it I guess.

Been feeling a bit sorry for myself this weekend. DH has been ill again. He refuses to try and be a bit healthier (which may or may not help) and I know its really mean of me but I cant help thinking he could at least try and help himself.

In the meantime its down to me to earn the money, run the house, etc. Work is very stressful and I miss DS.

So there. Moaney post from me. Fresh start tomorrow is needed I think!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 11th Nov 18, 6:09 PM
    • 36,863 Posts
    • 474,401 Thanks
    pigpen
    And now she has the police out looking for her again... and OHs sister has been sectioned for 28days...

How am I still sane in the midst of all this??
    • Valli
    • By Valli 11th Nov 18, 6:36 PM
    • 20,709 Posts
    • 235,151 Thanks
    Valli
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,654Posts Today

9,315Users online

Martin's Twitter