Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 4th Nov 18, 2:16 PM
    • 749Posts
    • 1,431Thanks
    Zinco
    Is it too early to have a moan about Fireworks thread?
    • 4th Nov 18, 2:16 PM
    Is it too early to have a moan about Fireworks thread? 4th Nov 18 at 2:16 PM
    They are bad enough when it is dark..

But why oh why do dafties let them off in daylight?
Page 2
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Nov 18, 10:41 AM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Well with siege of sarajevo finally over, I dont remember seeing so many spent fireworks lying around before. Those rocket stakes could make handy garden canes
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 6th Nov 18, 10:58 AM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Zinco
    Sounded like World War 3 here.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 8th Nov 18, 8:18 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    After four full nights of fireworks (2nd to the 5th), I thought they were tapering off when the 3rd was just on/off bangs...then last night went from on/off bangs to another full-on few hours of sustained bombardment.

Why would so many people have displays on the Wednesday after the 5th (it couldn't have been just one person)? Surely if you were happy to do it on a weekday, you'd just do it on the Monday?
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Nov 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Could it be people wanting to attend an organised event as well as staging their own explosion-in-a-weapons-dump display? At least the whole-house Christmas light extravaganzas they’ll inflict on us next are silent. Well usually.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Nov 18, 2:44 PM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    At least the whole-house Christmas light extravaganzas they’ll inflict on us next are silent. Well usually.
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Apart from xmas light controllers knocking out broadband or wifi
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Nov 18, 3:20 PM
    • 15,113 Posts
    • 20,665 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    At least the whole-house Christmas light extravaganzas they’ll inflict on us next are silent. Well usually.
    I was just thinking that I need to get my Santas and Rudolphs up on the roof soon.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 8th Nov 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5,457 Posts
    • 9,032 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Could it be people wanting to attend an organised event as well as staging their own explosion-in-a-weapons-dump display? At least the whole-house Christmas light extravaganzas they’ll inflict on us next are silent. Well usually.
    I'm not really used to it. I moved to a new area in the summer and previous places the fireworks were pretty non existent, probably as most people lived in flats and didn't have a garden. However it was fairly relentless this year and I noticed a lot of the houses went all out for Halloween too. I'm somewhat curious what Christmas will bring.
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 8th Nov 18, 6:06 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Zinco
    Just heard several bangs, and now the neighbourhood dogs have started barking.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 8th Nov 18, 7:37 PM
    • 4,989 Posts
    • 16,986 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    More fireworks this evening, it has got to the point where my dog is getting scared to go out in the dark
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Nov 18, 7:57 PM
    • 15,113 Posts
    • 20,665 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    None since Monday here. We must be lucky because they didn't start until Saturday night.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 8th Nov 18, 8:08 PM
    • 8,234 Posts
    • 12,983 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Had fireworks start at about 9pm last night. None so far tonight. I have a couple of rescue cats who are still shut in fortunately but they are terrified of the fireworks.

Over the last few years, it sounds like I'm living in a war zone.

I'm lucky to have to a lot of green space around me as I live on the edge of an estate. Often, fireworks are let off in the middle of the night from fields or woods around - just the odd one or two but enough to wake me as they are so loud.

I like the organised displays but think they should be banned for general sale.
    Debt 30k in 2008. Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free
    Mortgage free since 2014
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Nov 18, 8:45 PM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    coffeehound
    ^ I passed a fox on a pavement on Monday, it was so bewildered it barely noticed me

Apart from xmas light controllers knocking out broadband or wifi
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Is that a thing? Didn't know that..

I'm not really used to it. I moved to a new area in the summer and previous places the fireworks were pretty non existent, probably as most people lived in flats and didn't have a garden. However it was fairly relentless this year and I noticed a lot of the houses went all out for Halloween too. I'm somewhat curious what Christmas will bring.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Yes similar experiene here, I've not lived somewhere with so many fireworks let off. Christmas will be fun.

I was just thinking that I need to get my Santas and Rudolphs up on the roof soon.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Ah so it's YOU !!1!
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 9th Nov 18, 3:39 AM
    • 17,275 Posts
    • 45,499 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    I used to love fireworks, then i saw the effect they have on my boyfriends dog (she was terrified and shaking) and i now loathe them.I think they should be restricted to organised displays only
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 9th Nov 18, 9:09 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    Turns out the reason for fireworks on Wednesday was Diwali. Completely forgot about it being around this time (think it jumps about each year).

However, Diwali does not explain why some lunatic is having a fireworks display tonight and despite the wild weather.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Nov 18, 8:04 AM
    • 7,928 Posts
    • 14,290 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    It was very windy and heavy rain last night. Yet, people were still setting off fireworks. Not the best weather for fireworks plus got the unpredicableness of the firework doing silly things,
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 10th Nov 18, 3:06 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Zinco
    Fireworks should be seen and not heard.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

476Posts Today

5,413Users online

Martin's Twitter