Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 4th Nov 18, 6:41 AM
    • 128Posts
    • 21Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    Automatic car buy options
    • 4th Nov 18, 6:41 AM
    Automatic car buy options 4th Nov 18 at 6:41 AM
    Hello

This is not a "money saving" question directly, so feel free to delete if against the rules.
    I need to buy my first car with automatic gearbox (license for automatic). Budget less than 7500.

90% of my car use will be for me only, commuting to work. My work place is around 22 miles away and does not really require motorway unless there are road works on other routes.

Rest will be family trips (within city Grocery shopping, school runs, GP appointments, tourism, travel and entertainment) - with 2 small kids.

I have a few questions and will help me if you could share experience:

- Will a body type: hatchback suffice my need - boot space for 2 child buggies and installing two child car seats?

- What should be the minimum engine size? Will a 1.2L engine size be too small for my needs?

- Is autotrader the only website to look for used cars?

- Currently I don't have vehicle, does this mean my search should be limited to within 20 miles radius so that I don't massively overspend in traveling to different places for test drive of car? I don't have any family living locally who could give me lift to far areas for looking at suitable cars.
Page 2
    • facade
    • By facade 8th Nov 18, 10:07 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    facade
    I wouldn't touch an ecoboost engine at all. There are too many failures and when they go it's a £6,000 repair bill. It's like playing Russian roulette.
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner

Absolutely. 2000 out of 600,000 is a huge number for a failure rate, (especially a £6000 failure, we are not talking about a £50 spring breaking) and remember, there is usually a reason why a car is second hand, so your chances of picking up a problem car are a lot more than the 1 in 300 that it appears to be...
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 8th Nov 18, 11:00 AM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    My son has an auto Quashqai and it's great although it is diesel. Nice quality car but your budget may be prohibitive.

We have a couple of Toyota Hybrids which are great especially the Auris estate.
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    I drove an Auris Hybrid estate in Italy. It was meant to have been an upgrade by Avis from a BMW 220D. Great for space, but the car gave a great impersonation of a dying fly. It was way too whiney. I have driven other Toyota petrol autos in New Zealand - the Corolla non hybrid which is the Auris and a small camper van. Never again. No guts to it at all.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 8th Nov 18, 11:52 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    bigisi
    and remember, there is usually a reason why a car is second hand
    Originally posted by facade
    Yes and it's usually that someone has used it before and decided to change.

Jeez, talk about over exaggeration.
    Last edited by bigisi; 08-11-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    • facade
    • By facade 8th Nov 18, 11:59 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    facade
    Yes and it's usually that someone has used it before and decided to change.
    Originally posted by bigisi

Of course it is

I assume that you haven't read many of the threads on here about the cars that people sold because they fancied a change then

There is always something wrong with a second hand car. You hope it is just the balloon was more than it was worth, they really have been given a company car, they are too ashamed to have a 14 plate car on the drive etc., but in my experience, it isn't.
    Last edited by facade; 08-11-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 8th Nov 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    I drove an Auris Hybrid estate in Italy. It was meant to have been an upgrade by Avis from a BMW 220D. Great for space, but the car gave a great impersonation of a dying fly. It was way too whiney. I have driven other Toyota petrol autos in New Zealand - the Corolla non hybrid which is the Auris and a small camper van. Never again. No guts to it at all.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver

Can't see how the Auris was an upgrade to the BM definitely a downgrade. As far as the noise is concerned that's just the CVT transmission which I find OK
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 8th Nov 18, 1:26 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    ratrace
    op. mk2 Skoda fabia estate 1.6 petrol auto, my old man has one owned it 3 years without any issues with it, its the proper torque converter not the dsg which are prone to fail, it is a bit heavy on fuel i think he gets 30mpg around i was thinking to get it converted on lpg but as he only does 5,000 miles a year its not really worth it, tax is a bit high £240 a year

Hope that helps
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • gord115
    • By gord115 8th Nov 18, 4:45 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    gord115
    What about a Nissan leaf. Ideal for low mileages like yours and very reliable. Also very practical.
    • Grandad99
    • By Grandad99 10th Nov 18, 9:20 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Grandad99
    I have always owned old second hand cars, never bought anything less than 10 years old.

I have the chance to buy an 06 Hyundai Matrix 1.6 petrol automatic and wonder where it sits in the very detailed upthread description of the various types of automatic systems.

Mileage is 67,000. Being retired with a wife who finds travelling difficult I do about 4,000 miles a year on just local trips. This would be my first automatic car.

At £800 could this be a good buy for me?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 11th Nov 18, 9:22 AM
    • 7,843 Posts
    • 4,501 Thanks
    buglawton
    Any issue with the auto box with a car valued at around £800 could make the car a write off. The 4 people I know of who owned older autos (one not so old actually) had serious auto box issues. A test drive may not reveal an auto issue that only happens after driving a longer while. Good old fashioned torque converters are thought to be the most reliable/easiest to have fixed.
    • Grandad99
    • By Grandad99 11th Nov 18, 11:17 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Grandad99
    Thanks buglawton.

I presume from what you say that the car has an auto box.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,841Posts Today

6,405Users online

Martin's Twitter