Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r2015
    • By r2015 3rd Nov 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,103Posts
    • 305Thanks
    r2015
    36Mb or 100Mb?
    • 3rd Nov 18, 4:03 PM
    36Mb or 100Mb? 3rd Nov 18 at 4:03 PM
    At present I am paying 45.47 per month for over 100Mb from Virgin Media for unlimited broadband and a phone line.

Would you swap it for up to 36Mb for 30 per month?

At present I use it for catchup TV using my Sky+ box and my smart TV but I am thinking of dumping Sky for Netflix.
    over 72 but not over the hill.
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 3rd Nov 18, 4:16 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 3rd Nov 18, 4:16 PM
    • 3rd Nov 18, 4:16 PM
    yes I would. I'm sure you could go cheaper too. Around 25 for fibre.

Consider nowTv (part of sky)

If you go part way though the order process you should see what the guaranteed speed is FOR YOUR HOUSE.

If you don't like the answer, tell VM you are thinking of leaving, for a contract of 25 and they should do you a deal. You can never quite trust them though
    Last edited by AndyPK; 03-11-2018 at 4:18 PM.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 3rd Nov 18, 4:20 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 3,165 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 3rd Nov 18, 4:20 PM
    • 3rd Nov 18, 4:20 PM
    You only need 5 Mbit/s for HD streaming.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 3rd Nov 18, 9:26 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 3rd Nov 18, 9:26 PM
    • 3rd Nov 18, 9:26 PM
    At present I am paying 45.47 per month for over 100Mb from Virgin Media for unlimited broadband and a phone line.

At present I use it for catchup TV using my Sky+ box and my smart TV but I am thinking of dumping Sky for Netflix.
    Originally posted by r2015
    VDSL comes in 3 flavours , upto 40, 55 and 80Mb download although the actual speed varys depending on how far away the FTTC cabinet is from your home..., the 36Mb quoted is probably marketing BS and best ignored , check what your line may achieve using your individual address in the DSL checker.....TBH , chances are you wouldn't notice much difference between VM and VDSL.

Depending on who you are thinking of using for VDSL, many don't bother marketing the lower speed product ( 40Mb ) and promote the higher speed (80Mb) at the same price, but obviously you need to be close enough to the cabinet to benefit.

In my case I had 70Mb VM, but my employer gave me VDSL when it became available for 'free' , when I called VM to cancel, they were open to negotiate on price to keep me as a customer, when they said what price can you get VDSL for and I said 'for free' , they realised unless they offered to pay me, that retaining me as a customer was impossible....I have noticed no different at all between VM and VDSL service
    Last edited by iniltous; 03-11-2018 at 9:37 PM.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 9th Nov 18, 1:19 PM
    • 4,000 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:19 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:19 PM

Originally posted by r2015
    Depends on the quality of your downloads: For example according to Netflix recommendations if you stream HD you need 5Mbps so you can get away with ADSL up to 11 Mbps. On the other hand if you watch in Ultra HD quality you need 25 Mbps so you can get away with up to 38 Mbps fibre broadband.
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

If you are unsure of the speed you need you could take the lowest speed you think you need and then upgrade it if it's too slow. But be aware of discounts you might get if you subscribed to the higher speed from the outset.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 9th Nov 18, 1:40 PM
    • 11,219 Posts
    • 4,898 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:40 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 1:40 PM
    VM may be 100 meg but BT OR services are Up To 36 meg .
    But that depends upon your line quality and it could be an old line .

BT are up to 52 meg but same applies .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    It's upto 40Mbps I believe for the cheaper fibre (excluding BT)

I get 40 anyway
    • r2015
    • By r2015 10th Nov 18, 2:19 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    r2015
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:19 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:19 PM
    I'm sticking with Virgin as where the line comes into the house I would have to have a new electric socket fitted.

The modem would then be sitting on the floor or I would have to get a small table for it.

I would also have to make room for my landline phone DECT base.

Then I would have to run a cable from the new modem upstairs to the room where my computer is.

Or get a wifi dongle for my computer and put up with reduce speeds because of this.

And it is only ADSL.

Too much hassle at my age.
    over 72 but not over the hill.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,590Posts Today

4,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin