Selling Car-Private Sale

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks everyone. We're currently wasting our afternoon waiting for a potential no show. Luckily we've given her a 3 hour window and we'll be getting on with our day if she doesn't turn up.

Loskie, I 100% agree with you. The older I get the more I stress about things.

Neb, we have our advertised price and the price we're willing to take. There's £150 difference so lots of wiggle room. We'll lower the advertised price if it doesn't go this weekend.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you're taking cash, do the transaction in business hours, and bank the cash (or give that impression) straight after the deal. One case I read about - man sells car for a large amount of cash mid-evening. Puts cash in a 'safe place' ready to bank in the morning. Buyer drives off in the car. In the morning, man has 'coincidentally' been burgled and cash gone.

If it's a few hundred quid, probably not worth worrying about, but for larger amounts I would always prefer to do a bank transfer with the buyer there and then, over a coffee. With mobile banking it's easy to do, and it's far more secure for you.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Richard53 wrote: »
    If you're taking cash, do the transaction in business hours, and bank the cash (or give that impression) straight after the deal. One case I read about - man sells car for a large amount of cash mid-evening. Puts cash in a 'safe place' ready to bank in the morning. Buyer drives off in the car. In the morning, man has 'coincidentally' been burgled and cash gone.

If it's a few hundred quid, probably not worth worrying about, but for larger amounts I would always prefer to do a bank transfer with the buyer there and then, over a coffee. With mobile banking it's easy to do, and it's far more secure for you.

The person who posted the original is allready paranoid about selling the car without telling them this:rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Richard53
    Ganga wrote: »
    The person who posted the original is allready paranoid about selling the car without telling them this:rotfl:
    Forewarned is forearmed, though.
    :beer:
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite

Then they do a chargeback and you lose it all.

You're being too melodramatic. An old car with declared problems isn't going to fetch enough to need a securicor van to take you to the bank.

Carrying a lot on of cash can be worrying, especially if it is unusual for you. I once bought a 5 month old caravan from eBay. Drove over 400 miles to collect it with cash in the glovebox. Worried the whole way there about finding a gang with pickaxe handles and alsatian dogs.

We found a lovely couple who took us in gave us tea, and threw in a whole lot of additional equipment, including a satellite dish, a skybox and a satellite finder.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You cannot do a chargeback from a bank transfer...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Nebulous2
    macman wrote: »
    You cannot do a chargeback from a bank transfer...

Ok - careless wording there. I meant the money will get reclaimed as the transfer happens from a hacked bank account.

Still very unlikely in my opinion.

We generally have a new car bought through normal retail channels. At times we've found one car isn't enough and I've supplemented this with a second car, often a banger. Not something I'm doing often, but in both buying and selling those I've found a presumption all round that the deal will be done in cash. I think those deals have always been under £1500.

On the few occasions, such as that £9500 caravan, where I have used cash for larger transactions, I have felt really anxious. Other people's tolerance levels will vary according to experience.
  • Richard53
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    You're being too melodramatic. An old car with declared problems isn't going to fetch enough to need a securicor van to take you to the bank.
    I didn't say it would. I was warning of the danger of having a large amount of cash on your premises overnight when a complete stranger knows your address, possibly the layout of the house, and knows that the cash is there.
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    On the few occasions, such as that £9500 caravan, where I have used cash for larger transactions, I have felt really anxious.
    So you are agreeing with me. Am I being melodramatic or not?
  • Nebulous2
    I didn't say it would. I was warning of the danger of having a large amount of cash on your premises overnight when a complete stranger knows your address, possibly the layout of the house, and knows that the cash is there.

So you are agreeing with me. Am I being melodramatic or not?

I'm differentiating between high 3 figures / low 4 figures and almost a 5 figure sum. I'm very relaxed about the former, but found the latter anxiety inducing. Different people may have different tolerance levels - depending to a large extent, I believe on how often they've done it. I've never felt anxious about having cash in the house, but did feel anxious about carrying it 500 miles to a location unknown.

My anxieties were unfounded as I said. I imagined a builders yard, lots of men, threatening behaviour and a non-existent or dodgy caravan. Instead I found a nice couple who had paid £14,000 for it only 5 months earlier and wanted rid.

So yes, you were being melodramatic, and so was I!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just popping by to say that we sold the car to the first person that viewed it. He knew enough about cars to know that he was getting a good deal. He checked the engine over and took for a drive (DH drove it). Asked loads of questions about its history. He left with the aa receipt. Cash has been deposited in the bank so all is good there. Wasn't robbed on the way, bonus. Hopefully we'll never see him or the car again.

Thank for all the advice and hopefully next time we sell a car I won't over think it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure