Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 2nd Nov 18, 12:06 AM
    • 8,763Posts
    • 48,926Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12
    • 2nd Nov 18, 12:06 AM
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12 2nd Nov 18 at 12:06 AM
    Hello once again Potters and welcome aboard to all new members! I never thought we would have been running THIS long, but here we are starting off with "SPC "No 12"!!! The years have flown past since SPC's birth! We've had 11 fantastic money-saving years, all purely because of the determination in saving of you all - many thanks to you splendid folk who have made SPC what it is!!

For all newcomers...yes Old Timers too - it's so very important to please read through this entire post to see what the SPC is all about, dates for counting up and our re-opening date etc.. However, if you haven't already done so, please be sure to Join the MSE forum first in order to be able to join the challenge. For ALL SPC members, please chat away on this SPC 12 thread about your conquests, money-saving ideas etc from Post 4 (below) onward, it gives encouragement to all, including yourselves as it keeps the motivation to save far stronger and gives even more ideas of how to save.

For all newcomers - a really huge heartfelt welcome! We're a great bunch who just adore greeting more members to the flock. Please read through this entire post and you'll be aware of why SPC is so special. You all settle in straight away and become part of our saving family!

The idea is to save as much as possible throughout the following year until just before Christmas - which this year (2019) will be to open our pots on Thursday the 31st October 2019. We save it in pots that we've pre-sealed to stop us being tempted to open them. Any spare cash can be put away, every day/week/month, whatever is best for you. If you have change left over after you've been shopping - pop it in the pot! After all why not! However small the change...the likelihood is that it won't be missed, and might otherwise have been wasted!

Most of us put in the difference in that we've been saved on special offers etc, it's all saved at the shop so it makes sense to save it in the pot to mount up!

Below are the basics for making your pot and sealing it.

Firstly: Get yourself a pot, and remember - it doesn't need to cost much - if anything! Do please do your best to avoid plastic of any sort, thank you. With the emphasis being on saving money, your pot doesn't need to cost anything I.e a used sweet tin, coffee jar..extremely MSE!! *Next - seal it with sellotape and be sure to make a slit in the lid, big enough for a 50p to go in, that way all coins will fit. Perhaps if you wish, you can always take advantage of finding a cheap pot in the sales after Christmas, or put one you fancy on your Christmas list! You can always buy ready sealed tins from reasonably priced shops!

It can also be interesting and challenging to make yourself a Papier Mach!! Pig (or any animal or object) etc by using Frugaldom's recipe, by clicking here then going to Post No. 597 of SPC 1 or by going to a totally separate thread papier mach! Animal here. After it's finished, seal as the instructions in the *paragraph above

After selecting your pot, seal round the lid with sellotape. Again, be sure to make a slit in the top that is the right size for a 50p to go in! NB. If you make a Papier Mach!! Pot you will need to "operate" on it at the end of each challenge! Still, you can always have the pleasure of making a new one towards the end of the year, or getting the kiddies involved - if you're the daring type! The mind could run riot with what to model!

Terrimundi pots are available in many shops and on-line, they're very attractive and another ready sealed way to save, and though the manufacturers and retailers would have you believe differently, you DO NOT need to smash them to remove your cash!! I've used mine for 11 years...and at the end of each year's challenge, hubby and I have a whale of a time, doing things the 'old' way by tilting the pot and using a knife! Though, a few years ago DH bought a 12" steel ruler in from the shed which is thin and broad and perfect for the job. So be assured that, so long as you go carefully, you CAN use them again and again....unless you drop the darned things!! They are costly though, but this is where your Christmas list comes in handy, though always keep a look out in charity shops too!

Regarding the Sealed Cans many of you use, apparently the best way to open the sealed tins is, rather than using a tin opener, squeeze the side of the tin, where the seam meets and you can pop the seal and tip the money out that way, better still, turn them upside down and get the cash out as advised above with Terramundi.

The term roadkill = any money found on pavements, parks etc; even in car parks or on shop floors etc.

NB. A few notes of interest.

1/ Any money which is inherited can not be included as savings. Likewise any money put directly into the bank cannot be counted as savings with SPC. Money from second jobs is ok, such as cleaning for Mrs Bloggs down the road/ taking in ironing, a part-time job or anything similar is ok to be saved. Any savings saved via Christmas Clubs can also be used in your SPC Totals, it's another way of saving for Christmas after all. Money received from cashback sites such as Quidco, topcashback etc can be included in your pots. Likewise, any money made from sales on E-Bay, Facebook, Surveys or similar can be saved.

Also, it is possible to include all other savings from MSE Challenges with your SPC Totals i.e. the 2 Challenge as, apparently they aren't put down on the challenge threads themselves. Also, the 1p challenge is to be declared. If you're unsure, please ask on the thread, and remember - there's no so thing as a stupid question!

Second incomes can come in many varied and very lucrative guises and anything such as that would be unfair to other members. However, doing a little job for Mrs Bloggs as described in paragraph 1/ can be included. Mostly the SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save during the year...mostly it's relatively small amounts which are saved from wages, housekeeping, good budgeting etc. Remunerations via the letting of second homes cannot be included in the SPC!

2/
    Whenever you're in the dilemma of "ooh should I buy that?" If you don't need it, but just want it - leave it there and pot the cash instead, you'll be much more satisfied with the accomplishment, pleased with your self-discipline too. All too often, if I go back a second time I find I didn't even like whatever it was anyway!

3/ You can ask me to put a Target on for you to try to meet (it's put in blue/pink ink alongside your name and number on the 2nd and 3rd posts below) but it's not necessary. If you do set one, but are unable to meet it, don't worry, at least you tried! A few people keep account of all they save, but most of us count what we save daily or weekly, then put it on the thread to help encourage others....ourselves too, then we pot it and forget about it and.... wait for the surprise at the end of the year!
    If you are hoping for a particular amount by Declaration Day but still want a nice surprise come November, work out what amount you would like to save, then work out how much you will need to pot on a weekly or monthly basis in order to achieve it. Save that sum regularly as well as potting any spare change after shopping, that way you are bound to come out on top and have a surprise come October!

4/ Mainly SPC is a challenge to see how much we can save in a year for Christmas 2019. However, over the last 10 - 11 years we've had some members who have needed theirs at sometime throughout the year for bills, debts etc, and personally I'd far sooner they take the cash out for that than pay more interest or...miss a due date! You can always start again, even if it's getting later in the year, you can even include what you needed to take out on Declaration Day, after all, you will have saved it!! Whatever you need to do, don't worry about it - be happy and proud you have saved!
    Please don't worry about the amounts others save! We are all individuals with such varying jobs/incomes, each with different expenditures and commitments etc so while some find saving a real struggle, for others it's obviously easy. However, it's the pleasure each of us receives from our personal potting results - whatever you manage to pot, be happy with it, and be proud!!!!

5/ If you wish to save for something special, a holiday, wedding etc then please do so, just please remember to declare it on October 31st. The most important thing, is that you are saving ...and hopefully not tempted to take it out unnecessarily.
    If anyone has any other queries, then please sing out.

6/ At the end of the year (or when we've saved for what we wish) count up all your money saved and declare your Total either by waiting until the declaration date - or (if you've needed your cash for other things - by putting your Total on your MSE signature to remind you to include it in your full Total; that particularly applies to those using their money for holidays etc, but PLEASE remember to return to the thread on the 31st October to declare those Totals to me.
    Some members prefer not to keep too much money in the house and count theirs up every now and then to bank it, in which case they always pop the amount banked on their MSE signatures.

7/ KEEP YOUR POT or POTS SAFE!! If you hide it, be sure to remember where you put it!!

8/ "Holding Pots": To anyone concerned about putting money into their pot - only to possibly needing it later in the week/month: Why not use an unsealed pot or purse as a "holding pot" and pop the money in there first each day/week/month - then, if it's not needed (for car parking costs, little Johnnie's school trip etc) - put it in your Sealed pot so it stays put. Do that each week and it'll save you taking money from the bank. Discipline yourself to only take what's needed though!

9/ "Where to take bags of cash at the end of the year?": Most banks will accept them providing you have an account with them. Remember also that most banks have counting machines, so any of you who really don't like counting money, take them in and let the machine do the counting for you; you'll get a receipt which you then take to the counter. PLEASE - DON'T EVER CHANGE IT IN ONE OF THE COINSTAR MACHINES AT THE ENTRANCES OF SUPER MARKETS.... THEY WILL TAKE AROUND 10% OF YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!

10/ Members who do not return by two weeks after closing date will lose their numbers as, many people who sign up to the challenge then don't bother returning! To be fair, I think a lot get swept up in the excitement of it all, but then, for one reason of another, can't or don't wish to keep it up, but that then leaves me with a long list of non savers on the list which makes things very difficult over time. Any saving members won't be at all worried about this - but if those 'defaulting' (bad word, but...!) members remember, then - come on back and ask for another number, you will always be be more than welcome!

On the 2 posts below is a list of members and their numbers, always display your No on your signatures please, that makes life so much easier for me and my DH when counting up all of our Totals. In December or thereabouts I declare the Grand Total of ALL that we members have collected, and what a terrific sight that is! Please declare your savings ASAP on or close to the 14th November please.

Once again, we've just had an amazing year, let's keep it up and see what we can achieve this year. Good luck everyone and save well!!

PLEASE take note everyone Thursday 31st Oct is the closing date for 2019, the day we declare what we've saved on the thread, kindly declare your monies saved within 2 weeks of the 1st, thank you kindly.

It's Never Too Late To Join Us! and You Never Need To Re-join....well, unless you stop visiting us in November! However.......you can always return to the fold and be made very welcome!

Many thanks for reading
    , Sue.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 27-11-2018 at 1:08 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = 163.95 09 = 315.78 10 = 518.80 11 = 481.87 12 = 694.53 13 = 1200.20! 14 = 881 15 = 839.21 16 = 870.48 17 = 871.52 18 = 800.00 Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = 32.154.32! 2010 = 37.581.47! 2011 = 42.474.34! 2012 = 49.759.46! 2013 = 50.642.78! 2014 = 61.367.88!! 2015 = 52.852.06! 2016 = 52, 002.40!! 2017 = 50,456.23!! 2018 = 47, 815.88!!!!

Page 36
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 13th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    • 8,763 Posts
    • 48,926 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Enjoy your day folks!
    Hello all Potters, I hope you're all enjoying a wonderful weekend, potting too where possible!
    To all those who are not well or who are low in spirits, take great care of yourselves. Get well soon and {{{{hugs}}}} from all the SPC family.

Don't worry, Raggle, because if you're potting between 15p & 30p per day that's between 50 and 100 a year which is a whole lot better than nothing!! However, if you're saying you've already put more than that in today, then you really ought to be thrilled to bits at what you're potting!!! Be proud of all you're potting!!!!

Sue-UU - I think I speak/type on behalf of many potters, but I really do appreciate how you know many of our little nuances. I appreciate the fact that you respond to each and every one of us personally. No doubt you take copious amounts of notes - and you could write a book about our dramas - but it really does make it a fantastic online community. We're very lucky to have you - as are your family, obviously. So thank you.

1.51 potted. Bring on 31st October!
    Originally posted by VickyA
    Ahh bless you, Vicky, that was so very kind of you. However, I can honestly say that the only notes I take are mental ones. I don't remember the nuances of you all, but with some of our dear 'family' members here there are certain things that I can't help but remember! Also, a lot depends on how long members have been here, the things they tell about themselves etc. I mean, who the blazes could forget jakes-mum?!!! You could list a few of her nuances surely, Vicky!! Yours too...! I also miss former members who, for whatever reason, leave us including Lynne, who's emigrated to Valencia but who I thought would still be on SPC (but no reply to my PM), Lynsey, Rosie and many others nere now and from over the years. Don't YOU disappear, nor 32b3, siju, nor dear I say... jakes-mum! I never thought I'd be saying that!!! So many others too who are all very special in their own ways.

I do agree with you that I could quite possibly write a book on you all and the things you've said and done over the years... now that would make good reading! However, as you rightly say, most importantly, this really is a wonderful thread which has become a large part of my life! Believe it or not, I don't find chatting easy in the real world, my health problems and being naturally shy, but here I can gabble away with you all and feel quite at ease. So, there you are Vicky, I've given a lot to the thread...and received just as much in return! Bless you for your kindness. BTW, excellent potting!! Get well soon mind! See, I remembered!!

Many thanks to you also, MushyPeas, your words too are very much appreciated. BTW, You're thinking like an old timer now, "ah change... that goes into the pot!!!!"

It's so good to hear from you again, Pix! I take it by now you have updated your signature, thank you. Well done on all you've potted!!

Hi NannyG. Well done on your latest finds, but keep going! Are you sure you wouldn't be able to beat that settee in to submission!!

Very well done, Lifeisforliving!! Entirely up to you whether you keep a running total or leave it as a surprise, though it'll be interesting to see which you go for.

Me too, Homegrown, apart from which, I've been doing that for so many years now, it'd be weird! Well done on ALL your latest savings!!!

Brilliant Saving Glut, a 5er closer to Christmas!!

Well done SSDD23!!

Little monkeys aren't they, Iheart, still not too costly for you and at least you've cash in your pot as a result!!!

An excellent start with your pot, Deni!! Have you popped your No on to your signature?! Of course you have.

A very good start indeed, Brunch!!

Oooh such a lovely lot potted, 3forholidays!!!

Ahh, well that throws a different light on things then, datlex!!

Have a smashing Sunday!! Pot well if it's possible.

Sue

NB folks: Opening date for SPC 12 will be 31st October 2019

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = 163.95 09 = 315.78 10 = 518.80 11 = 481.87 12 = 694.53 13 = 1200.20! 14 = 881 15 = 839.21 16 = 870.48 17 = 871.52 18 = 800.00 Grand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = 32.154.32! 2010 = 37.581.47! 2011 = 42.474.34! 2012 = 49.759.46! 2013 = 50.642.78! 2014 = 61.367.88!! 2015 = 52.852.06! 2016 = 52, 002.40!! 2017 = 50,456.23!! 2018 = 47, 815.88!!!!

• Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 13th Jan 19, 3:57 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    Hope you are all well
    I have very intermittent Internet as BT are working on the area

I have added 8.50 today
    Which I am pleased with as I only update weekly
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) 14 Pot 2 8.50
    total 22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    40/1000 plus some in my bank 138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 13th Jan 19, 5:15 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 13,550 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi Sue-UU, checked both settees and there was definitely no change, mores the pity!!! but I found another 22p in the craft room hiding behind some boxes, so no guessing where that's gone!!! I really didn't think I lost money in the house - its a revelation to me!!!

The clearing/tidying up is still going on but Ive not much more to do thank goodness. Im hoping not to do any shopping until Wednesday so I cant see much potted before then. I might have to start going out walking around car parks to see if I can find any road kill lol
    Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    January nsd = 15
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 13th Jan 19, 6:21 PM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 21,615 Thanks
    VickyA
    Well yes, Sue-UU, we could write a book about jakes mum alone!
    Your words are very kind. Hope you're keeping the family on their toes! xx

DH had an accident with his jeans pocket and released a 10p into the wild. Naturally, I scooped it up and gave it a snug home in my pot. That and 1.11 from my purse at the end of the weekend.
    SPC 8 #021 975.71 #9 881.44 #10 961.13 #11 782.13 declared
    • motivated
    • By motivated 13th Jan 19, 6:40 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    motivated
    Evening potters

I managed to add some more loose change to my pot today. It doesn't sound so hollow now although a long way to go.
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 13th Jan 19, 6:46 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 18,849 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

I am not going anywhere Sue. I just pot now, without thinking!!

8.44 potted today.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - 816.85
    SPC10 #125 - 851.81
    SPC 11 #7 - 968.46
    VSPC #19 - 40.52/250
    • weenapoops
    • By weenapoops 13th Jan 19, 9:32 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    weenapoops
    Just 30p in the pot this weekend for me.
    You've got to be in it to win it!! Just believe to receive!!

2019 Wins - January - Yardie DVD,
    Sealed Pot Challenge #085 - 88.61
    1p Challenge - 4.96 (Jan crossed off the list)
    2019 1% challenge #7 - 7% of 100%
    • Iheart
    • By Iheart 13th Jan 19, 10:03 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Iheart
    Emptied my purse tonight as its the end of the week (30 cash budget a week so I pot anything that's left). so 1.32 in the pot today.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.
    SPC12 #106
    • Dreamworlded
    • By Dreamworlded 14th Jan 19, 9:09 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Dreamworlded
    Well yes, Sue-UU, we could write a book about jakes mum alone!
    Your words are very kind. Hope you're keeping the family on their toes! xx

DH had an accident with his jeans pocket and released a 10p into the wild. Naturally, I scooped it up and gave it a snug home in my pot. That and 1.11 from my purse at the end of the weekend.
    Originally posted by VickyA

I love the mental image of a 10p escaping into the wilderness!

Potted a quid and all my shrapnel from the week. Only one 2p going into our separate coppers pot though.
    Not long after I heard the tell-tale sounds of hubby potting some coins as well, good for him!
    SPC12 #055 - +50 to final total (put a coin in the jar and spin the Martin )
    • siju
    • By siju 14th Jan 19, 1:03 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 3,198 Thanks
    siju
    I'm not going anywhere either SUE-UU, it's such a pleasure to read all the posts and it really brightens up my day I agree, though, you are an absolute treasure to spend so much time replying to posts and organising us all. I am truely grateful. xx

DH decided to have a sort out in his garage over the weekend and I was hoping for a few coins to add to my pot, but alas it was not to be. However, we did have a mystery to solve. Before Christmas I bought two 15kg bags of dog food for our old labrador. One bag was taken into the house, the other stored in the garage. We were rather surprised to find that the contents of the bag in the garage had completely disappeared. DH was mortified - they've sold you an empty bag, he said. Not possible, I replied, you carried it from the car to the garage! Anyway, on closer inspection, we could see a little nibbled hole in the bag, but the whole 15kg had gone - not a crumb was left. I do believe we have the fattest, most contented mice in the whole of the country! Just as well the dog wasn't keen on the food! Needless to say, I won't be storing any more dog food in the garage............

Oh and the cat's been sacked

I will be potting 4.30 today, so that's some good news! Have a lovely week, Potters. xx
    Last edited by siju; 14-01-2019 at 1:06 PM.
    SPC 12 - #09
    Totals: 2014 - 264.51 2015 - 207.50 2016 - 396.79 2017 - 369.49 2018 - 484.24
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 14th Jan 19, 2:21 PM
    • 7,553 Posts
    • 10,003 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    sue-uu - i think i speak/type on behalf of many potters, but i really do appreciate how you know many of our little nuances. I appreciate the fact that you respond to each and every one of us personally. No doubt you take copious amounts of notes - and you could write a book about our dramas - but it really does make it a fantastic online community. We're very lucky to have you - as are your family, obviously. :d so thank you. :t:t:t:t
    Originally posted by vickya

This. This. This!!!

I had a bit of a windfall on the weekend. We are clearing out the last boxes from when we moved into the house (over 2 years ago!!!) and I found a box of bagged coins. Not sure how much is in it yet as I've not had time to count but there was a LOT of it and not all copper so hoping for 20ish. I also potted a handful of 50p and 5p coins from my purse clear out this morning and added 20 from my 1p a day challenge. 1 a week might need to wait until the dust settles on money moving around this month.
    Last edited by Lucifa73; 14-01-2019 at 2:30 PM.
    16.1.19/14.1.19: T MC 168/3629.26 : VM 0/13876.59 : W 0/1400 = 0/18905.85 =0.89%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 14th Jan 19, 4:05 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 2,350 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    This. This. This!!!

I had a bit of a windfall on the weekend. We are clearing out the last boxes from when we moved into the house (over 2 years ago!!!) and I found a box of bagged coins. Not sure how much is in it yet as I've not had time to count but there was a LOT of it and not all copper so hoping for 20ish. I also potted a handful of 50p and 5p coins from my purse clear out this morning and added 20 from my 1p a day challenge. 1 a week might need to wait until the dust settles on money moving around this month.
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    Glad I'm not the only one that pots change then promptly forgets! Mine must've been in the wardrobe for 4 years (since we moved house). Glad you found it!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target 10,000
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 14th Jan 19, 7:31 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    Robin09
    2 potted today. Also bagged up 5 worth of 5p's so will pot that once I get it changed.
    SPC 076
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 14th Jan 19, 8:06 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 18,849 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Evening

2.85 potted today.

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - 816.85
    SPC10 #125 - 851.81
    SPC 11 #7 - 968.46
    VSPC #19 - 40.52/250
    • Sue-UU
    • By Sue-UU 14th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    • 8,763 Posts
    • 48,926 Thanks
    Sue-UU
    Hiya folks, another week to look forward to...or not maybe.
    Hi again SPCers, I hope you all had a lovely weekend, that the week ahead will be a good one also!
    To all those of you who are unwell or who are low in spirits, take great care of yourselves. Get well soon and {{{{hugs}}}} from all the SPC family.

I do hope BT will soon have sorted out your problems, Aaleigha. Meanwhile, brilliant potting!!

Bad luck with the settee, NannyG, but very good work in your craft room!! Your last idea might have been your best as car parks can usually be where your best finds are, but don't go after dark!! Try not to look too conspicuous!

How on earth do we both think of jakes-mum, Vicky?!!! Sadly, her reputation proceeds her.
    Oh yes, I'm making sure the family stay in their places for sure, though they are always reminding me where mine is too!!
    That was so unfortunate for your dear hubby, but at least you're keeping it safe for him for a few months... what else is a loving wife to do!!
    Good work with your other savings too!

Isn't it wonderful when we all reach that lovely sound with our pots, motivated. It jingles beautifully for months , then there's that horrible clunk for a few weeks until we get enough again...Then we're back to the blissful jingle yet again!!!!!

At a girl, 32b3!! I just knew you too would be sticking here with us! There are those I'd just hate to see disappear and your name I rank highly!! Brilliant savings btw!!!

Another step closer, weenapoops, it's such a difference so keep climbing!!!

That's just wonderful, Iheart, I'll be watching it again for you on a Sunday evening!!!

Ah but that's only one of quite a few lost coins that are retrieved from Vicky's hubby, Dreamworlded!

Excellent savings of yours..and hubby's too!!

You really are far too kind, siju, but bless you anyway.

Good grief... the whole bag of dog food had gone!!!! Hubby said "have you got a neighbour with a dog..or two?!!" I don't like to alarm you but are you sure it's not...rats?!! Sounds more like it to me!
    Some really good potting regardless of your livestock!!!

Wow Lucifa! It'll be interesting to see exactly what you've been hoarding without even knowing it!!! Great work with all you're managing to save!!

So, another pop it away and find it later SPCer, Homegrown, good luck to you!

Very well done Robin! It's good to hear someone knows where their cash is!!!

Enjoy a lovely Monday!! Pot whenever possible.

Sue

NB folks: Opening date for SPC 12 will be 31st October 2019

Anyone wishing to join us, it's NEVER too late, so please just ask, you'll be made very welcome!

• datlex
    • By datlex 15th Jan 19, 12:14 AM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    datlex
    Added some more coins to the jar today. Window cleaner hasn't been since before Christmas, so hence not spent that money as yet and needed to replenish - I have 2 x him coming set aside besides my pot. Was quite an expensive week this week, I needed new shoes- both my work and going out shoes were falling apart so needed replacing. I needed a door bell too as I don't currently have one. Fortunately I had extra money in my pay this week as I hadn't taken all my holiday balance- I had not realised. As I am agency based, I get any untaken holiday back in pay at the end of the year. The extra money has covered these expenses. Back to normal from Wednesday, am going to try a cash only week again- OH is working nights at the weekend which makes it cheaper, no need for a taxi. "Sealed" pot is just under 50. Which is 50 more than I thought I would be able to put aside. Thought I would be lucky to get that by the end of the year let alone now.
    • DukeOfSomewhere
    • By DukeOfSomewhere 15th Jan 19, 1:02 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    DukeOfSomewhere
    Hello fellow potters.

Finally bug free after being poorly over Christmas and New Year.

Am now inspired to get on with some potting. The tin of 1 coins from last year had 26 in and another tin had just over 23 in various coinage. I've put them together and added to the total which is a rounded 50.

I have opened a new regular saver account at a building society which amazingly is paying 2.25% (includes bonus) over the year, minimum pay in 1 a month. Maximum is 200 a month.
    Even earning a bit of interest is a bonus.
    I've set it up online so that I can just transfer the money from my current account directly.
    I am fortunate that I have a wonderful Post Office in my village so, I can pay in there rather than traipse into town (6 miles) to the bank.

Talking of banks, mine made a massive error by accidentally cancelling my debit card instead of cancelling, as per my request, an old unused credit card!.
    When I rang them, they were full of apology and ordered a new debit card straight away. I told them I wanted compensation for their error . . . They gave me 50 and thankfully my new debit card arrived just two days later.

The bonus 50 from the bank has been added to the other 50, so I've managed to deposit a total of 100 to start off 2019. I suspect that from now on the totals potted will become a lot smaller but, I'm determined to keep potting even though I have nothing in mind to save up for.

My next task is taking a serious look at trying to get the outgoing bills down. It may mean switching to new providers but I've decided it's definately time to address this.
    At least the gas won't be a problem as there is no mains gas to the village!.

A very belated Happy New Year to all of you out there. Keep well, keep warm and keep safe as I hear they are forecasting a very cold spell to hit shortly with the possibility of snow . . . I so hope they are wrong on both counts.

SPC (12) . . . Number 44
    • Saving Glut
    • By Saving Glut 15th Jan 19, 6:59 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Saving Glut
    I could have parted with 10 yesterday, instead I thought of this challenge and 5 of this was relegated to my little pot. I may need another pot soon!

Also, I honourably resisted popping a lone 5p left on the kitchen window for about a week. Then, I gave the little thing a home in my SP! No owners have stepped forward to claim it yet!
    Last edited by Saving Glut; 15-01-2019 at 7:02 AM.
    IO BTL1 Mortgage was 97,958 on 09/08/18; 89,953 on 26/12/18.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 12: #078: 69.40
    Make 2019 in 2019: 464.55/2019
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    SSDD23
    OH gave me 80p for the pot this morning, and found another 25p in my purse so 1.05 in the pot today x
    Money made in January: 80.81/100.00 // January NSDs: 13/20 //
    SPC #029 16.20 // DFXMAS 2019 #035 178.73/5000

Debt-busting
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 15th Jan 19, 9:05 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 13,004 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    013 - Dolly Rocker - SPC Deposit
    Morning Potters,

So adding 6.50 to my SP which takes my total to 130.50.

It's nice seeing the SP filling up.

Also some smoosh to add to my bottle, which might be filled before I retire

Dxxx
    Debt Free 2018 12754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    Goal Weight in 2019 28lbs/91lbs
    SPC#13 130.50

My Home Fund 531.00
    15.01.19 - 2 Nationwide Referrals available, PM me for 100 to switch accounts
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

8,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin