Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benidorm59
    • By benidorm59 31st Oct 18, 6:18 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 45Thanks
    benidorm59
    Benefit Arrears
    • 31st Oct 18, 6:18 PM
    Benefit Arrears 31st Oct 18 at 6:18 PM
    My dear friend and neighbour Bill today received a call from the DWP saying they were going to pay him just shy of 24k into his bank He has been on ESA since 2012 and said they owe him this money. He was so shaken he didn't listen properly His daughter filled the form in for him he is a bit short sighted. He is worried now, he lives hand to mouth and he think they will stop all benefits because he will have money over sixteen thousand. Should he spend the money, give it to his daughter deposit for a house, is this ok. He is a canny chap who know how to live hand to mouth, his wife died many years ago. I have tried looking it u on the net I don't think the call was a hoax but they said they would send a letter Whats if its a mistake and they want the money back.
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 31st Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 31st Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    • 31st Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    Wait and see what the letter says.

As my partner says - don't meet trouble half way.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 31st Oct 18, 6:36 PM
    • 34,031 Posts
    • 21,474 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 31st Oct 18, 6:36 PM
    • 31st Oct 18, 6:36 PM
    Why panic before the letter has come.

If he is paid the money he shouldn't fall foul of the regulations.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 31st Oct 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 3,452 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 31st Oct 18, 6:40 PM
    • 31st Oct 18, 6:40 PM
    If it is benefits back pay, then this is disregarded for 12 months. In some cases benefit arrears are ignored for the life of the claim.

No need for your neighbour to worry, but as NeilCr says why not wait and see what the DWP letter says.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • benidorm59
    • By benidorm59 2nd Nov 18, 6:40 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    benidorm59
    • 2nd Nov 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 6:40 PM
    the letter confirms that all is ok, its for arrears of SDP and EDP from 2012. The money took three days to clear into account in batches of 5k. The letter states that the money is disregarded for the life of his claim or if he goes off income based benefit and returns with in twelve weeks it links and will continue to be disregarded. He got a panel for every year and notes how it had been worked out. He is made up He completed the form on the 3rd August and paid now. He didn't have to supply anything else.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 2nd Nov 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,193 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 2nd Nov 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 7:04 PM
    Thanks for posting back to let us know.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 3rd Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    • 4,529 Posts
    • 4,962 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 3rd Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3rd Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    Hopefully he will buy himself a few comforts/treats.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • benidorm59
    • By benidorm59 13th Feb 19, 5:33 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    benidorm59
    • 13th Feb 19, 5:33 PM
    • 13th Feb 19, 5:33 PM
    A friend had arrears from her IBR of just under five thousand she is very pleased of course. On the letter it says the money can be disregarded for fifty two weeks. She has capital of about four thousand already left to her by her mother. After the year if she hasn't spent it will it effect her benefit. Her neighbour has had the same just under 5k and told it will be disregarded for longer because of new legislation. Has any one here know of this.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Feb 19, 5:57 PM
    • 2,193 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 13th Feb 19, 5:57 PM
    • 13th Feb 19, 5:57 PM
    My understanding is that if this is arrears of ESA arising from the IB to ESA transfer and is over 5000 it should be disregarded for as long as the ESA claim is still in payment, or for 52 weeks in respect of other benefits if the ESA claim has ended.

I believe arrears of less than 5000 only have the 52 week disregard so this would apply in your friend’s case.

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2018-1034/IBR_ESA_underpayments_FAQ_17.10.18.pdf
    See page 4.
    Last edited by calcotti; 13-02-2019 at 6:05 PM.
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 13th Feb 19, 6:39 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    Wait and see what the letter says.

As my partner says - don't meet trouble half way.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    I sincerely love this quote
    • benidorm59
    • By benidorm59 16th Apr 19, 9:06 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    benidorm59
    A neighbour Sheila and her husband last week received 41k. Today she had a visit explaining the arrears. Apparently they were worried to how she would take the news.. She seen the money didn't believe it was right had phoned them up and there was nothing in her note pad operators words to say it was correct. Today the man said it was. Dear God What is she do with that eight years of struggling now this. Her daughter has said spent it but how they are so frugal its unreal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,775Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin