Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • halifaxmortgage
    • By halifaxmortgage 30th Oct 18, 7:32 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 14Thanks
    halifaxmortgage
    Cold draft / Condensation - Faulty Beading?
    • 30th Oct 18, 7:32 PM
    Cold draft / Condensation - Faulty Beading? 30th Oct 18 at 7:32 PM
    Hi guys.

I've a bit of a dilemma with one of my double-glazed upvc bay window, which as far as I'm aware was fitted by the previous owner approx 4-5yrs ago.

I'm getting some cold air at the bottom and I know this because I did a candle flame test. This makes the room very cold and I have to keep the heating on much longer to keep warm.

Also during extremely cold weather, the window has considerable amount of condensation near the bottom of the glass. The window glass itself is fine and the vacuum seal is not broken at all.

My suspicious is the window's upvc beading which is probably worn. I'm thinking due to the size of the windows, it might be worth saving money and first trying the cheaper open of replacing the beading itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Page 2
    • ytfcmad
    • By ytfcmad 9th Nov 18, 6:55 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    ytfcmad
    I wouldn't bother with the expanding foam for two reasons.

Too much and the expansion could course a problem.

Secondly the void below the window, if there is one will run down for a few feet so you will need a good few tins.
    • halifaxmortgage
    • By halifaxmortgage 9th Nov 18, 11:01 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    halifaxmortgage
    Post a picture from the inside showing the whole window and one showing the bottom where it joins the window cill.

If you dont clear out that drainage slot water will back up and your DGU will break down.
    Originally posted by ytfcmad
    I don't know if you noticed in my previous reply....I've already cleared the window drains

I'll see if I can get you a photo or two. Be warned that there is black mould now on the sealant between the bottom of window frame and the cill.

I wouldn't bother with the expanding foam for two reasons.

Too much and the expansion could course a problem.

Secondly the void below the window, if there is one will run down for a few feet so you will need a good few tins.
    Originally posted by ytfcmad
    I was only going to fill the void along the top 2 bricks and not all the way down. I would have stopped the foam dropping to the ground by:

1. drilling small holes and then spraying water into the cavity which would make the wall wet and the foam would stick to it more easily.
    2. drilling wall ties below the 2nd highest brick every 6-8 inches to help give the foam a base to grip.
    • SatanicHare
    • By SatanicHare 10th Nov 18, 5:30 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    SatanicHare
    can you borrow or rent a thermal imaging camera, then you might be able to confirm that the cold is coming from the window cill area.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,045Users online

Martin's Twitter