Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toniq
    • By toniq 30th Oct 18, 12:36 PM
    • 28,433Posts
    • 621,894Thanks
    toniq
    Advent 2018 Volunteer needed!!!
    • 30th Oct 18, 12:36 PM
    Advent 2018 Volunteer needed!!! 30th Oct 18 at 12:36 PM
    A look at last few years threads:

It really needs to be 1 person who can devote the time to update it constantly throughout December, Someone organised and who can cope with comping, Xmas and doing the thread.

Loads of people will muck in and throw comps at the end of the thread and support you.

If you are feeling up for the challenge pop your name down and thank you.

Last year a new method was trialled which worked superbly, that was:

A: title of comp and medium

It meant the board could be sorted by A:

If possible just state if you can do it rather than not.

Thanks
    Last edited by toniq; 30-10-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!!!!

Page 2
    • LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 6th Nov 18, 11:38 AM
    • 19,135 Posts
    • 86,682 Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    I think a section each sounds like a good idea. That way it's not just one person having the burden of it all and would make it less stressful.
    January wins: *4 piece bamboo towel bale* *Winter Wonderland break*
    Win £2018 in £2018: £816.26/£2018
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 6th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 306,167 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    I keep thinking "If you don't get it sorted, I'll just do it" ... and then I think "No, I can't be bothered", I've already done it twice in the last 3 years

If it gets desperate, I'll do it ... but it kinda looks like it might be in hand, not sure how the sections will work but we'll see.
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
    • toniq
    • By toniq 6th Nov 18, 1:22 PM
    • 28,433 Posts
    • 621,894 Thanks
    toniq
    The sections are a back up plan if Mikel decides not to do the thread.

At least this way there is a plan b!

x
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!!!!

• sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 7th Nov 18, 11:23 AM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 306,167 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Mikel needs to decide soon, the adverts are starting to build up
    • Monkey Chinchilla
    • By Monkey Chinchilla 7th Nov 18, 1:12 PM
    • 18,821 Posts
    • 939,827 Thanks
    Monkey Chinchilla
    Just as the number of decent prizes from established companies has been falling each year so has the number of people thanking the advent thread - 280 - 206 - 187 - 126 so it would appear not having a thread will make little difference to most people when you consider just on individual posts the mags can get 600 or more thanks, the cash radio ones 750 plus and even one requiring FB or TW for a small block of cheese got 128 in a couple of days which is more thanks than last years advent thread got in a couple of months.

If someone wants to do it that is fine but in reality it makes no difference to the majority of users.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    I agree. Maybe itís worth doing a vote to see how useful people think it is before somebody puts the all the effort in.

Personally I donít use the advent thread (unless Iíve finished the board which never happens in December). I prefer the comps on the main board to get bumped as each prize opens and work my way through. I save my favourites to my iPad so I can go through them first and plough through the rest of the board as and when I have time.
    Apologies for my poor grammar, MSE wonít let me use apostrophes.
    • toniq
    • By toniq 7th Nov 18, 1:19 PM
    • 28,433 Posts
    • 621,894 Thanks
    toniq
    I agree. Maybe itís worth doing a vote to see how useful people think it is before somebody puts the all the effort in.

Personally I donít use the advent thread (unless Iíve finished the board which never happens in December). I prefer the comps on the main board to get bumped as each prize opens and work my way through. I save my favourites to my iPad so I can go through them first and plough through the rest of the board as and when I have time.
    Originally posted by Monkey Chinchilla

It basically sorts the board as the board becomes very hectic over December, it means people can skip the ones they don't want.

Doing a poll now will delay the thread even more as some have already started.

Mikel will you let this thread know if you are going to do the thread f not we can look at alternatives.

Thanks

x

• sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 9th Nov 18, 12:13 PM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 306,167 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Right, I just did it

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921674

sorry Mikel', we need someone that's about A LOT to keep it up to date and stay on top of things, check replies etc
    • toniq
    • By toniq 9th Nov 18, 2:12 PM
    • 28,433 Posts
    • 621,894 Thanks
    toniq
    Right, I just did it

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921674

sorry Mikel', we need someone that's about A LOT to keep it up to date and stay on top of things, check replies etc
    Originally posted by sleepyjones

x

• MIKEL38
    • By MIKEL38 9th Nov 18, 10:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    MIKEL38
    sorry for delay im still unable to do links so looks like im unable to do it unless it changes soon. Waiting for a message back from forum team
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 9th Nov 18, 10:41 PM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 26,114 Thanks
    Misslayed
    sorry for delay im still unable to do links so looks like im unable to do it unless it changes soon. Waiting for a message back from forum team
    Originally posted by MIKEL38
    You've only made 5 posts, you can post links as soon as you've made the 'magic' (and top secret) number of posts. So get posting!
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Nov 18, 11:24 PM
    • 38,667 Posts
    • 270,949 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Incase you missed it

Id be happy to do it but seems that it wont let me do links says im a new member even though been on here since 2011 anyone help with this.
    Originally posted by MIKEL38

"congratulate" a few posts in the IwonIwon section (say half a dozen or so) and the linking magic may happen

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    Internet goodness £25580
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 10th Nov 18, 4:18 PM
    • 7,260 Posts
    • 206,805 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Can I just say a massive thank you to sleepyjones for taking on the Advents again.

And can I link to my really whiny post about the usual advent annoyances

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73317369&postcount=2
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
    Marcus Aurelius
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 11th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 306,167 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    *bump* I can't see the duck??
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 11th Nov 18, 11:02 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 185,723 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    *bump* I can't see the duck??
    Ok. Someone's got to look like numpty and ask, so it might as well be me

What duck??

I can think of the Loquax duck, Donald Duck, Toilet duck, but but I don't think you mean any of those.

Thanks for taking on the thread again. I don't actually use it. I do like the thread of prizes over £100 though.

• sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 12th Nov 18, 7:37 AM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 306,167 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Could we keep the bumping of Advent threads to a minimum? You know what I mean. The bump every time somebody wins one of 1,000,000,000,000 instant win prizes (pringles). The 20,000 bumps with the same right answer today question or the 10,000 confirmations that yes that is a duck in the picture
    Originally posted by Moneybot

Still not seeing the duck
    • thingamaBob
    • By thingamaBob 12th Nov 18, 10:53 AM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 920,211 Thanks
    thingamaBob

I don't think it is a duck. I think it is a platypus or, perhaps, it might even be a Haggis.
    Bob
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Omar Khayyam
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 12th Nov 18, 7:06 PM
    • 7,260 Posts
    • 206,805 Thanks
    Moneybot

Look it is a duck and I will hit you with an empty tube of Pringles until you agree with me
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
    Marcus Aurelius
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

1,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin