Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 29th Oct 18, 6:04 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 87Thanks
    PawsForThought
    Actually no, I don't need that new mop...
    • 29th Oct 18, 6:04 PM
    Actually no, I don't need that new mop... 29th Oct 18 at 6:04 PM
    Evening all!

Iíve been browsing the website and particularly this forum for a few weeks now since having myÖ not quite lightbulb, more flickering-dimmer-switch, moment. A common theme among the threads is how helpful all the lovely writers out there have found the accountability of noting down their spends; successes, failures, justifications and rationale. Iím so inspired and awed by all of you so I thought Iíd give it a go too

My total debt is currently at £8000, down after a couple of months of slogging away and making a few lifestyle changes. Not a huge figure, certainly by comparison to a few on here. But I have very little to show for it - no mortgage, no nice car, no delightful-if-slightly-spoiled children glowing in the radiance of my money-fuelled splurging. A small amount went towards the cost of studying my Masters (distance learning, part-time study while working full-time, so no excuse of being a student even, d*mn). Iím so cross with myself for just being so ignorant throughout the years of accruing all of this. Enough is enough.

My motivation for finally knuckling down and getting rid of my debt is two-fold really. I am the sort of person who struggles with a 5-year plan and currently have a couple of options that Iím flirting with. In both scenarios, it would be hugely beneficial to be debt-free within a year or two.
    • Iíd love to do a PhD. Obviously this will hugely limit my income so it simply wonít be feasible to be paying off multiple debts and also stay alive.
    • Ori
    ginally from Yorkshire, I moved down south after I finished my undergraduate degree for a job I love. But Iím badly missing friends and family back home and would love to be in a position to move closer, with a view to buying a home rather than throwing away over a third of my income on rent. Iím going to start sporadically applying for jobs that really pique my interest and donít want to turn down a golden opportunity because I canít afford the cost of moving.

Iím living with my Other Half and our gorgeous furry dog-hter in rented accommodation in one of the most expensive parts of the country (bit of naivety on my part when we originally moved down here). OH is really supportive and happy to move Ďone more timeí. Heís self-employed and is reasonably confident he can move his business almost anywhere fairly easily. So moving is definitely a goal, but totally flexible in our timeline.

Debt-crunching is slow going at the moment; because Iíve just applied for a job, Iím currently throwing extra/spare cash into a savings account. If it doesnít lead anywhere, some of this money will go towards over-paying debts. Iím using the Snowball technique Iíve gleaned about from my lurking on this site (or I will be once I know what to do with this extra income)! I feel that Iíve exhausted my selling stuff I donít use option and have started doing online surveys but struggle to find the time to sit down and do them, so making additional income is tricky. Obviously, this means crunching the budgets.

I do my own budget sheets and have started noting down every.single.damn.spend, which is tedious but has the benefit of making me question every purchase, knowing Iíll have to open up the journal later. Iíve cut out on loads of unnecessary things; subscriptions like Audible and Spotify, my clothing and hair budget and so on. Iím attempting to cut down our household food budget but with £50 a week for two of us, including toiletries and cleaning products, Iím struggling to find the wriggle room. OH has a physical job and needs to eat a huge amount of protein to avoid dropping weight any more and risking his health. He is off-setting this by contributing a bit more to the communal expenses account each month, bless him.

Iím an avid list-maker so Iím slightly enjoying some aspects of this debt-crunching exercise, like the serial planning around Christmas. Last year I think I spent about £800 hosting some friends for one night. Ludicrous. Doesnít even account for travel expenses or presents, so I dread to think what the actual cost was *shudder*. This year WILL be different!

Evidently, Iím mildly optimistic about my ability to crack this, almost (not quite) looking forward to the journey. My goals are:
    • Have a cheapo Christmas. Iím happy to explain to close family and friends that Iím tightening my belt to achieve my plans of moving/PhD, but I canít avoid the travel costs that Iíve already committed to. Mostly, I donít want to avoid themÖ. ahem.
    • Not accrue any more debt in the short term (or long term obviously, I basically mean donít spend beyond my means in this festive period).
    • Be debt-free by March 2020. Currently achievable if I stick to my guns but I suspect there may be attempts at thwarting it and self-sabotage en-route.
    In case you were wondering, plucking up the courage to start this thread is partly inspired by my epic MS achievement today of not ordering a new mop when the mop head just needed replacing, as I would have done in the past. Feeling pretty smug: long may this spirit live on!
Page 2
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Nov 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 10,140 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    OBL - Super impressed that you've been saving! Does the money stay in your current account or do you store it somewhere separately? I'm not sure I could see those kinds of savings in my usual account and not mindlessly spend them! Some people are just really awkward to buy for, aren't they? Can you do any shopping online? Amazon Prime is my best friend around Christmas - One Day delivery has saved my skin on many occasions! This year I've booked a day off work to go to the local discount outlet shopping centre towards the end of November with a friend. I always get inspiration for gifts there (and All The Things I Need for me too), and I'm hoping it will be less busy and stressful than going at the weekend or in December.

Bleugh, forgot that my friend had bought tickets for a couple of events which I agreed to pre-LBM and sheís been very politely waiting for me to remember to pay her back. WhoopsÖ So, had to fork out £45 for those today, bless her socks for being so patient with me. At least itís no longer hanging over my head (not that it was, clearly). Still, itís always good to have something to look forward to. I think it helps to stop me getting grumpy about having no money and, as an extra treat, when the events arrive they will feel like theyíre free heheh

I also gave in (after months of temptations) to a HelloFresh discount that popped up in my emails. I subscribed and got a couple of boxes a few years ago when my parents tried it and had a discount code. I love the recipes and find that they go a lot further than theyíre usually meant to, they teach me new cooking skills (I always get flashbacks to bashing a chicken breast with a saucepan in lieu of any other heavy butterflying tools) and I like the zero-waste factor too, but generally find them a bit (a lot) too expensive. But with a 55% discount it came to £22 for 5 meals for 2 people, which is probably what Iíd spend on our dinners for the week anyway but with the added bonus of being quality products and the excitement of trying new recipes instead of lumping for the same old go-tos! Although I have no regrets, thereís still a part of me that feels slightly guilty for spending the money. Iím sure that will go away when I start munching thoughÖ food has always been my vice.

On my 7th of 9 possible NSDs this November. Feel like Iím cheating a little bit as Iíve been, ahem, Ďsavingí my spends to try and get them all in the same day. For example, I usually do the food shop on Sat or Sun, so Iím trying to make my petrol stretch to then and also have 2 or 3 Christmas presents which Iím holding out on buying to make sure itís on the same day. I suppose it means that Iím thinking more carefully about my purchases but only time will tell if itís really helping - at least Iím no longer wasting money on impulse spends for immediate gratification (yes, Iím talking to you sneaky, discounted work hot chocolates )!

To end on a positive note, because good lord Iím starting to sound like a martyr, Iíve bunged the ingredients for a lovely black bean chilli into the slow cooker and as the aromas waft through Iím feeling the smug gratification of knowing Iíll soon be scoffing a super cheap but extremely nourishing meal that required the bare minimum effort - bliss! I have an unexpected interview next week so will be spending the weekend at my desk prepping and stressing over that rather than going out and wasting cash - eee!
    Originally posted by PawsForThought
    When I started my DMP I opened a new current account for my wages to be paid into then I opened two savings accounts with the same building society, each month when I get paid I transfer the saving money into their respective accounts ( emergancy fund and Xmas savings)
    I can't draw money out of these accounts because they don't come with a card or book,so if I need to use any of the money I have to transfer it back to my current account,this way it's still accessible if I'm desperate but I can't just dip into it without the faff of logging in to my account and moving the funds over,it means I have to planif I want to use it which gives me time to think about if I should be using it in the first place

I've never had any savings before so this is a novelty to me,I just need to persuade myself to spend it now,it's going to be so nice when January comes around and I know I won't still be paying for Xmas
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,835 Total Now Owed = £15,795
    Emergency Fund = £1,330 Xmas savings = £350
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 16th Nov 18, 5:26 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    OBL That's a really great idea I do have one savings account but I try to view it (somewhat unsuccessfully) as untouchable. Maybe opening a second would help with that? I will look into it

So I was successful at the interview on Wednesday which is both incredibly exciting and also sort of sad. I really do love my job and will be gutted to leave, but this is an opportunity I can't really turn down. Unfortunately it does come with a fairly significant salary cut. It's only temporary but it will make things tricky for a few years. I suppose now is a good time for it to happen while I'm (sort of) learning how to become a more savvy frugalista

A few cheeky Christmas presents ordered so the NSD count has epically dropped. November and December are always going to be spendy times though! Bought our advent calendars with the tesco clubcard vouchers which a totally legit use of the 'free money'. I am SO excited for December to roll around
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £209/ 600 Car repair loan gone!
    £160/ 1600 Bank loan also gone!
    137.50 / 3300 Student finance (effectively) gone! (Although I will come back to it)
    £640 to go out of £8000
    April NSDs: 9/16
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Nov 18, 10:38 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 10,140 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Yay, well done on the new job, there is nothing like a pay cut to focus your mind on being frugal,if the opportunity is a good one it will be worth it in the end

I'm getting excited about December now,this is a new experience for me because I normally dread it and spend the whole month alternately spending money like a mad thing and then worrying myself to death because I know I can't afford it,not this year though, I am going to enjoy December this year
    Totally agree about using the club card vouchers for advent calendars too,I save my Boots points all year and then use them to treat myself to any bits I want
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,835 Total Now Owed = £15,795
    • Fla603
    • By Fla603 17th Nov 18, 11:21 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Fla603
    Just wanted to say Hi and you’ve just saved me £10 with your first post!! You mentioned Te2co vouchers and it made me wonder if I had any “unspent” ones. (I usually leave the posted vouchers at my back side and inevitably they get lost). Sure enough when I logged in I have £10 worth of vouchers waiting for me!!! Going to get them printed out and in my purse. Thanks!

I’m enjoying your diary and will subscribe... when I work out how too ��
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 19th Nov 18, 4:28 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    Hi OBL - thanks for the congrats it really is an amazing opportunity and youíre right - it totally will be worth it. I will need to have a strategy in place and have been browsing the boards on here for some inspiration. Along with some shopping websites. The internet is such a mixed bag for me.

So glad to hear that youíre looking forward to December - the shift in mindset represents a HUGE success for you, it really shows what a long way youíve come so well done!

Fla - So pleased to have contributed to your savings this month! I hope you treat yourself to something nice with that extra cash Thereís a subscribe button at the top of each thread and then you can see Ďunread postsí in your profile to see when people post on the threads you subscribe to. There might be better ways of doing it but Iím not massively tech savvy to be honest!

Well, itís been a horribly spendy week, hence my guilty absence from posting. Iíve been defending and justifying spends by telling myself that Iím celebrating and so deserve these treats. Or that, since for the next few years Iíll be earning less, I really ought to spend more on Christmas presents this year as itís the last time Iíll be able to do so for a while. Iím not really sure how I managed to justify the false eyelashes, except that they had a little discount, and they make me feel just ever so slightly pretty.

Anyway, Iím ready to poke my nose out of my shame-filled hiding place now and get my rear in gear. After a really successful start to the month, Iím down to an embarrassing 9 of 19 possible NSDs this month, which means Iíve spent on more days that Iíve not spent.

On the plus side, Iíve been trying a Ďthingí where I cook 2 different meals on nights when I have energy instead of the usual one (I usually make enough to have leftovers anyway so there always seems to be a really excessive amount of food). I now have a freezer full of lovely meals to curb my emotional spending/eating habits. Fingers crossed!
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    137.50 / 3300 Student finance (effectively) gone! (Although I will come back to it)
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 19th Nov 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 10,140 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    We all have those horrible spendy weeks now and again, the trick is to learn from it and to try not to keep repeating it,maybe set aside a little treat fund for things like eyelashes
    Just keep swimming
    • Spendy Spenderson
    • By Spendy Spenderson 20th Nov 18, 7:58 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Spendy Spenderson
    Congrats on the successful interview Paws!

Looking at your SOA, £30 seems low for a whole month's entertainment fund. I guess that needs to cover any meals out, take aways, drinks / pub visits, coffees, cinema - basically any and all social events and date nights? Maybe it's just me and I spend too much (very possible!) but I would really struggle on £30 for a whole month - even a normal month let alone December and Christmas party season.

Note this isn't me telling you to spend more which obviously wouldn't be very frugal! But just to ensure that really is a realistic budget for you to live by each month.
    ...And if you can then please give me some tips!
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 8th Apr 19, 8:27 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    Back from hiatus!
    Wow, it's been a while!

Life got a bit (a lot) hectic Iím afraid and totally took me away from the forum, and then a few things happened (mostly positive) which have totally turned my situation around, hence my absence:
    1. I became a full-time student again. Whilst this came with a pay cut, I have managed to secure an arrangement where I receive my full tuition and a fairly generous stipend (basic living funds) without any loan, so Iíll never have to pay any of it back!
    2. There were two additional benefits to this, the first was a cheeky overlap where my last month and a bit pay from my old job came through at the same time as my first stipend instalment Ė so I whacked that on my debt, woo! The second is that I rang the Student Loans Company and told them Iím a student, and they have deferred the over-payment until I complete! So Iíve effectively (in my head at least) written that off for now.
    3. On the PLUS PLUS side, I received a tax rebate and a council tax rebate!! I was unashamedly buzzing and bouncing off the walls. The majority had to be thrown at the debt obviously and not squillions of fancy treats for myself (and I coyly told friends and family that it was going into savings), but I did keep a little aside and invested in some really good quality running shoes and a super cute, functional and waterproof Cath Kidston backpack because Iím a student now and this is what students need (plus it was like 30% off).
      Now that people know that Iím a student I have a legitimate reason to be poor and feel a lot better about organising super cheap social events, or just turning them down when I need to. This is a huge relief to be honest.
    4. On the downside, the university is a 60 mile commute. This obviously has pretty huge implications for travel costs; however, my supervisor has been really relaxed about the amount of time I have to spend in the office and Iím generally doing 1-2 days a week unless I really need to be in for something. So not too bad usually.
    5. It also had implications for my poor old car though, which struggled to say the least and started requiring some costly repairs fairly quickly. I tried using public transport but it was more expensive and added 2 extra hours to my commute (making it 5 hours each day which was frankly absurd). Amazingly, and thanks to OHís generous parents, we found a brilliant solution. OH was in the market for a new car; we part exchanged my old banger (instead of his much nicer car) for a shiny new one, and his parents topped up for his deposit. We then managed to negotiate for me to take HIS old car (only 3 years old) and continue paying finance at a much cheaper rate with a view to owning. Genius! I love LOVE driving this car Ė it actually goes uphill properly Ė and it shouldnít start clocking up problems like my old one any time soon.

So my new debt situation is:
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    137.50 / 3300 Student finance (effectively) gone!
    640 /8000 total debt to go

Which means I have paid/got rid of a whopping £7360 (without having as cheapo a Christmas as I had planned... whoops).

I know that Student Loan overpayment debt is there really and I plan to pay it off as soon as I can. My intention is to put any earning from PT work into a savings account and then pay off the Student Loan in chunks, gradually. I donít want to commit to monthly payments because my schedule is so varied that some months I might just not manage and I donít want to get into trouble.

So, going forward, I just need to work hard, scrimp and save to ensure that I donít fall into the deadly trap of accruing more student related debt as Iíve done in the past. This time Iíve refused to even entertain opening a student bank account Ė I know there are perks but I just find overdrafts too enticing and thatís exactly how I started getting into debt in the first place.
    Iíve cut up my credit card and will continue to overpay what I can each month. Iíve got an adjusted budget and I think I should manage. Money is tight but thereís just enough to start an Emergency Fund and start saving for Christmas.

I have lots of catching up to do on this forum, Iím so looking forward to seeing how all the people I was following have been getting on. Will post an updated SOA when I can (better get cracking with writing now, deadlines are looming).
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 8th Apr 19, 3:22 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,859 Thanks
    Starmummy
    So Good to see you back Paws...and thank you for stopping by on my diary with such kind words.

What exciting changes for you in such a relatively short time. Yes ok the budget has to balance and the debt has to go...but more importantly you have to live. Going back to education to study for a career you really want is really inspiring. well done you.

does this mean moving back north is on hold now?

Take care
    SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £10,564.79/£12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £100.00 Other Savings £69.24 House Deposit £2,606.39/£20,000 13%
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 9th Apr 19, 7:29 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    Thank you Starmummy - it's good to be back! I feel so focused and motivated already; I hope I can stick with it this time! I am so enjoying being back in education and I think that once I'm a bit more settled I'll have the energy to devote to some PT work and increase my income a bit. I'm amazed that you've remembered my moving back north plan! It's definitely still my goal but yes, on hold for now. I think that this qualification will enable me to get a job that I want more easily there, so fingers crossed!

Coming back to the forum has made me reflect on how Iíve been doing in more day-to-day and personal areas of finance, particularly with FOOD. And because food is always at the forefront of my mind. Is it normal to be this obsessed with food??

Was feeling super grumpy all day today and nearly didnít bother cooking, but finally just got stuck in and made an absolutely gorgeous Ďdeconstructedí moussaka Ė so glad I did!

I am pretty MSE when it comes to food most of the time Ė I meal plan and usually stick to it, I used to batch cook a lot and I pad out meals with things like lentils and tiny chopped veg to stretch them further and make them more nutritious. I also have a bunch of store cupboard items so once in a while I have a Ďuse up weekí where I only buy milk, eggs and fruit during the weekly grocery shop and get creative with what we have. I know I could be doing things more cheaply but weíre currently eschewing cheap and filling staples like pasta and bread as OH and I signed up to a 10k charity run, so trying to optimise our health through nutrition as well as our training (about my absolutely last choice of fundraising activity as I HATE running, but he lost a family member and his extended family asked us to join).

Iíve always sort of known this but MY GOD eating well within a budget is super super difficult, and right now Iím choosing to prioritise our health over saving money in this department (without being ridiculous). A big part of this for me is making sure I have a wide range of fruit and veg throughout the week, and a mix of healthy fats like nuts, seeds and dairy. So that all adds upÖ I do like a good challenge.

Anyway, after a brief interlude of being a bit rubbish, I am back to Meticulous Tracking and Budgeting.

Iíve come to realise that weíre terrible for buying extra crap to Ďtreatí our guests when we have people over so will spend silly amounts, for example, OHís parents visited this weekend and we spent £20 on booze and another £8 on snacks Ė not including the actual meal - for just one evening (and then have loads left which, you know, we might as well just finish). We also bought an indoor plant so that the house could look 0.5% nicer for them for some reason. This has to stop. It is a really nice plant though.

During my time off the site (when I wasnít accountable for anything) we also fell prey to a small number of greasy take-aways, particularly when we felt we were due rewards for having eaten so well in the last week or so. Iíve been ignoring the financial costs of this in favour of calculating whether I can Ďget away with ití in my nutrition plan, which is ultimately a bad philosophy to have in every conceivable way. So, in true MSE fashion I spent the weekend trying to prevent this from happening again by doing an epic batch cooking session and have clogged up the tiny outside freezer with:
    ē 10 portions of turkey and bean chilli
    ē 4 portions of Ďchip-shop-styleí veggie curry, with 2 portions of sauce left so weíd just need to fry up some meat or veg and voila
    ē 8 portions of chickpea and potato chana masala (with leftover onion bhaji bits in)
    ē 10 mini cauliflower-crusted feta and asparagus quiches for quick go-to breakfasts

I think thatís a pretty decent start!
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 10th Apr 19, 5:03 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    Quick post to keep me accountable as I get back into the swing of things!

NSD today, and since the start of the month I've been walking rather than taking the bus. My commute is over an hour and even then I can't park on site - I have to park a mile away (and still have to pay for a parking permit!) The two miles of walking a day will also be good for my health I'm sure.

I've been very good at remembering to pack breakfast/lunch so I don't have to buy at work (and feeling smug). I had an important meeting with two investors today and my supervisor brought posh biscuits to keep them sweet! She's so lovely. So I've enjoyed free tea, biscuits and phone charging all day!

Sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees, but the little things do add up eventually.
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 11th Apr 19, 8:18 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    NSD today and OH treated me to a very belated, gorgeous birthday meal! He's such an angel And the sun was out so all in all a winning sort of day!

I was meant to meet someone for a coffee before my training but as the weather was nice we went for a *free* walk instead - saving a couple of quid and getting some free exercise!
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 12th Apr 19, 8:10 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    A fairly spendy day today with a little dentist trip, and I squeezed the grocery shop in so that the number of NSDs this week looks better, hehe

I also realised that I go on holiday in a couple of weeks, but after Mari-Kondo purging my wardrobe I don't have many things to wear in lovely non-British sunshine! So I shopped. It's been a while since I bought any clothes though and I've been squirreling a bit of money away each month for this sort of thing, so I don't feel too bad. And with student discount and a giftcard, I got a lot for my money.

You'll be pleased to hear that the holiday was extremely MSE - OH had accumulated a ridiculous amount of loyalty points with a travel company and they paid for the whole 3 night holiday, including the flights, a rental car and two trips for £11! I got some Euros for my birthday so in all it should hopefully cost us less than £100 - just food and petrol. So excited!
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 13th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    Phew - such a busy day today that I haven't had time to spend any money, even if I'd wanted to! Maybe that's the secret to success?

Spent the morning cooking - made mini veggie and feta frittatas for easy grab-and-go breakfasts for the week, a massive veggie lasagna and some adorable mini white chocolate and Malt-easter bunny cheesecakes!

The afternoon was full of the joys of laundry and cleaning the house (embarrassingly it took several hours). Got a friend coming for the weekend so this evening and tomorrow should be fairly cheap and chilled as we're both 20-something grannies..

Finally had 30 mins to sit down and relax with a cuppa before she arrived. Took my hair out of my 'housework' scruffy bun and found some strange and unknown substance all over it

No time to relax after all (but finishing my tea first).
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 14th Apr 19, 8:24 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    Another NSD - technically... I owe my friend £3. She very generously offered to let it slide but I will probably buy her a coffee or something next time I see her

A lovely weekend, very relaxing and allowed myself to indulge in some amazing, unhealthy food for a change - heaven! How I've missed this. Must not use it as an excuse to fall off the wagon as I usually do - even if there are yummy leftovers...

Been musing about opening a proper grown up savings account which doesn't have flexible access.. slightly terrifying thought but I think a necessary baby step to becoming a proper adult I'll look into it this week. I can do this!

Only 7 NSDs so far this month. I will do better in the second half of the month.

Time to set some goals for the week:
    • Savings account - research the best for me and open up. Jiggle budget and set a realistic goal for monthly savings.
    • Run 4 days
    • NSD 5 days (DDs and work-related travel costs don't count, but essential groceries do count - to make me accountable for any poor planning and top up shops!)
    • Set up fundraising page for 10k and start pestering potential sponsors
    • Holiday purchases planning - so far I have an extensive list of: euros, library books and suncream!
    • Healthy eating - put the weekends delicious amazing junk food behind me and get back onto the good stuff - this tends to benefit my purse as well as my body so extra points!
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 15th Apr 19, 9:54 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    I didnít sleep very well last night. Two rather conflicting things happened as a result of this.

Firstly, I must have caught some kind of shopping bug when I treated myself to some new holiday clothes the other day because in the wee hours this morning I did some rather a lot of online shopping. Including what I bought the other day, I have spent nearly £200 on clothes in one weekend, yikes Some will be returned as Iím in-between sizes and some are me ambitiously testing Ďnewí styles, which never usually goes well. But that was bad. The website also had my credit card details auto-saved, so it all went on that, despite the fact that Iíve had it locked tightly away in a drawer since Christmas to make sure I donít spend on it! Depending on how much I get back from refunds, I plan to pay it off over 2 or 3 months in smaller chunks, totally manageable!

I definitely am feeling gentle waves of guilt knocking on the doors of the part of my brain that told me I needed these things. But Iím not going to beat myself up Ė I do have money allocated for clothes and I will return some of them. Plus it should mean I donít need anything else for a long long time! Moving swiftly on...

Secondly, and somewhat ironically, I also decided on some Savings Goals for 2019! By December I want to have:
    • Non-flexible saving: 2000 Ė Open it with £300 I have squirreled away, pay in £100 per month. That will give me £1100 by December. So Iíll also need to put away at least 60% of any additional earnings from PT work. The other 40% will be distributed to the other savings pots and for treats
    • Christmas funds: 400 (£40 per month plus 15% of extra earnings)
    • Holiday funds for girls' holiday 2020: 400 (£40 per month plus 15% of additional earnings)
    • TOTAL: £2800 by 01 Dec 2019

Additional earning goal: £300 per month
    • NFS: 180 extra per month (and an additional 900 by December Ė meeting my 2k goal)
    • Christmas and holiday: 45 extra per month (an extra 225 each by December, taking me way over my goal! The extras can be used for related expenses, or put towards 2020 savings)
    • Treats/socialising: £30 extra per month

Of course I canít reliably commit to an extra £300 per month and depending on the work it might be more or less. But I think itís a decent aim!

Now the hard bit of actually doing it. Will be browsing Indeed on my breaks

The third thing that happened from not sleeping well was getting amazing sleepy cuddles from my wonderful dog.
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 16th Apr 19, 10:20 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    I've been dreaming of the beach for the last few days, and the books I'd like to take. However, when I went to the library website to pre-order, one had a 16 week waiting list and the other an 8 week!

Accidentally logged onto OH Amazon to see how much they would cost to buy and saw that he had £3 of kindle credits, so after some fiddling I worked out how to attach his amazon account to my kindle using their family library thing and he kindly let me use his credits. So I've got the book on my kindle for a sweet 32p!

Then saw in my emails that Audible were offering 50% off for 4 months plus an extra free credit, so I got two audiobooks for £3.99 which would have cost me £39.82 feeling half way to my holiday already!

Savings account - I have opened a regular saver which has no withdrawal access for 12 months
    Run 4 days - Sunday and Tuesday done!
    NSD 5 days Sunday and Monday done, hoping for another today!
    Fundraising page set up, just have to pester people
    Holiday purchases planning - books done, Euros and suncream to do on Sat
    Healthy eating - I could have frozen the leftover cheesecakes but I did not. Oops...
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 17th Apr 19, 3:15 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    I was so close to achieving 4 NSDs in a row, but I'd had my heart set on having sweetcorn with our dinner tonight and alas - there was none!

I had to nip out to return a bunch of the clothes anyway, so I feel that 75p is a reasonable price compared to the money I will get back when they process the refund!

Once the refund has processed I'll have spent nearly 8 months of my monthly clothes budget this weekend; I didn't buy anything in Feb or March though. So I've set myself a rule that I can't buy anything until September (longer if possible but no doubt something will need replacing by then - I put a foot through the 'stylish rip' in a pair of jeans the other day. It's now a far less stylish and rather wide, gaping rip, but they're fine for walking the dog!)

It does add another month of repayments onto CC, but I applied for a part time job yesterday so hopefully that will come to something.
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
    • PawsForThought
    • By PawsForThought 18th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    PawsForThought
    Run this morning and since been finding new and exciting ways to procrastinate. Had a sort through of some photos on my phone with a view to getting them printed/stuck into an album at some point; cleaned the fridge (discovered the source of the unidentifiable smell!); meal planning for next week including sensibly budgeted meals and snacks for visitors; baking planning for weekend with my friend (ahhh, sabotaged from my healthy eating again!); got back into surveys! Setting myself a mini challenge to pay for 2 presents I have in mind with rewards from surveys, so need to properly get back in the game

Not much to report, plodding through the mid-month rather languidly, looking forward to a long weekend! Should probably do some work now
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    £640 to go out of £8000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

30Posts Today

1,589Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin