Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • skeenw
    • By skeenw 29th Oct 18, 10:48 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    skeenw
    Initiative Q
    • 29th Oct 18, 10:48 AM
    Initiative Q 29th Oct 18 at 10:48 AM
    I've seen loads of Posts on Facebook recently about Initiative Q.

I'm extremely sceptical about this and have not signed up. But I can see that several of my FB friends have signed up, many of whom I consider to be savvy and worldly-wise.

What do you make of this Initiative?
Page 2
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 6th Nov 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    But I can pay in all the above already by using google pay or Apple Pay or using a PayPal app.

What is so different about this that gives it an edge and uniqueness that will ensure a huge take up and make it a success .

That's the part I don't get
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    What's unique about Apple Pay, Google Pay, Paypal etc?

The "uniqueness" for Q is the fact that they are giving them away to early adopters and will try to keep the value stable, that is a pro and a con.

Other than that, everything that applies to Bitcoin.

It may well amount to nothing, but then again it may amount to something.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 6th Nov 18, 12:28 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Its those who are hoping its a get rich quick scheme who are likening it to Bitcoin.
    The organisers only refer to Bitcoin to point out how different it is and not alike at all.
    They intend to regulate the supply of money such that the exchange rate stays at a constant $1. That being so, there will be no point buying in the hope it will be worth $1,000 of $10,000 in the future.
    Also they intend to develop a payment network which will replace the cash in your pocket and the credit/debit cards for your local shop, supermarket or online store.
    You can't actually buy much at all with Bitcoin apart from maybe a line of cocaine, an AK47, a lap dance or a hitman.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    "Over 100,000 merchants worldwide accept bitcoin. Notable ones include Microsoft and Expedia, as well as the online electronics retailer Newegg."

You can easily change Bitcoin into cash, ie dollars so you can buy whatever you want with it.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
    • mrsyardbroom
    • By mrsyardbroom 6th Nov 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    mrsyardbroom
    Martin Lewis has an article on Initiative Q in his October news. He says

The claims that it will have $20 trillion in transactions a year seem more far-fetched than me winning the next Rear of the Year contest (though neither are impossible).
    Here's a link to the article. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/10/initiative-q/
    Don't mess with pensioners.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 7th Nov 18, 7:09 AM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 6,170 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Well all I know is I'd rather take a slight chance of signing up that nothing might come of it, then be sat here in 10 years going Dam if only I'd signed up when I had the chance.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • dave2319
    • By dave2319 7th Nov 18, 2:47 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    dave2319
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/9r6fw9/warning_on_initiative_q_trojan/
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Thanks, Browntoa, and here's a couple of good articles I found there from a crypto author:
    https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2018/10/24/initiative-q-is-doing-the-rounds-again-and-heres-qs-economist-on-bitcoin/
    https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2018/06/24/initiative-q-a-non-crypto-private-currency-marketed-by-pyramid-scheme/
    who says:

"The purpose of the user list is so they can tell venture capitalists, “we have a user base of X million people, you should fund us.” The trouble is it’s a list of people who think you can get free money from pyramid-style marketing. This means they’re hot prospects for future scammers."

"Any number of disreputable people and companies would throw their hats in the air at getting hold of a database like this. Affinity fraud loves this sort of list of pre-screened suckers.
    Advertising trackers on the Initiative Q site include Facebook and Google Tag Manager — so these ad networks will also have categorised you as someone susceptible to this sort of pitch. So if you signed up, you’re marked as a prime target for more pitches of this sort in the future."

And he adds: "I think the chances are almost zero that you will get anything worth anything from signing up. You might get targeted by future spammers, though. Also, please stop spamming referral links."
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 7th Nov 18, 5:14 PM
    • 33,861 Posts
    • 39,995 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Referral links removed

Not allowed to be posted here
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • swindiff
    • By swindiff 8th Nov 18, 12:31 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    swindiff
    No it's not. See previous post.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Nov 18, 12:41 PM
    • 33,861 Posts
    • 39,995 Thanks
    Browntoa
    And someone's ignorant post right after mine deleted yet again

Stop spamming your referral here

Post once only in this thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5912997
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 9th Nov 18, 6:16 PM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 6,170 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    Thanks, Browntoa, and here's a couple of good articles I found there from a crypto author:
    https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2018/10/24/initiative-q-is-doing-the-rounds-again-and-heres-qs-economist-on-bitcoin/
    https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2018/06/24/initiative-q-a-non-crypto-private-currency-marketed-by-pyramid-scheme/
    who says:

"Any number of disreputable people and companies would throw their hats in the air at getting hold of a database like this. Affinity fraud loves this sort of list of pre-screened suckers.
    Advertising trackers on the Initiative Q site include Facebook and Google Tag Manager — so these ad networks will also have categorised you as someone susceptible to this sort of pitch. So if you signed up, you’re marked as a prime target for more pitches of this sort in the future."
    "
    Originally posted by dave2319
    I've never heard of this site, but this is one guys opinion. I would put money on this, that most of the people who are joining / referring are tech savvy or financially savvy people who are hoping for a pay off down the line.

Anyone who isn't 'smart' and doesn't understand 'these things' will tend not to do it.

I've seen these links spammed all over my facebook. From friends? No.

Every single one I have seen have been in coding groups, website groups or basically anything techie based that I'm in. These are the people seeing the potential in this.

To imply that this list is full of people who are more likely to get scammed is just not true, as the people who are likely to get scammed / click on links / get sucked into marketing schemes - aren't spending time on things like 'Bitcoin' type ideas.

You can also buy email lists from everywhere these days anyway. Data is sold on the dark web for cheaper then you buy a chocolate bar down the shop. If you actually put into context the limited data IQ would be selling for what its worth on it's data value, to the effort and money that has gone into it...I'd be highly suprized if a profit could even be turned if they were acting illegally.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,747Posts Today

6,747Users online

Martin's Twitter