Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnR
    • By JohnR 25th Oct 18, 12:07 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 86Thanks
    JohnR
    Ancestry.co.uk
    • 25th Oct 18, 12:07 PM
    Ancestry.co.uk 25th Oct 18 at 12:07 PM
    I've been a member for six months now, and after an initial burst, now want to "pause" my family history work. As a result I am thinking about cancelling my subscription.

The problem is that I will lose access to the photos and records I have added to my tree from the site and other users. What is the best and cheapest way to save these? I have quite a lot, hence why I am looking for a better solution than just "download them onto your PC".
Page 2
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Nov 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Has anyone taken advantage of the 14 day free trial for Ancestry.co.uk. Is it easy to cancel after the 14 days? Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by china_anne
    I subscribe for a month, every now and again, it's easy to cancel. My guess is that most users don't subscribe for very long at a stretch. I personally wouldn't try to cram everything into a 14 day trial.

Like I guess everyone else, you can find quite a lot of info going back a couple of generations, then it gets hard. In addition to the obvious "John Smith from London" issues, you might find others with trees that include your relatives going back to the 17th century... they look very well researched but can be completely wrong... take them with a generous pinch of salt.

Good fun!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Nov 18, 8:56 PM
    • 10,123 Posts
    • 7,729 Thanks
    pmduk
    Many, if not most, public libraries have subscriptions that enable you to use ancestry.co.uk from their PCs.
    • chiny
    • By chiny 11th Nov 18, 11:42 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    chiny
    Backing up ancestry.co.uk in a GEDCOM doesn't really do the biz; ISTR that GEDCOMs are just basic stuff, not including pics and other files which bring family history to life. A good point though; years of research entrusted to someone, somewhere and that could change or be sold off tomorrow.

I probably am an ancestry.co.uk member 40% of the time and no data, or access to any data has ever been lost when my membership has expired. ancestry.co.uk make money out of so much data being available to current members and they appear to want to keep it that way.

There is a big social element to ancestry.co.uk; the ability to search on other trees and slurp in data. Clearly some never do any hard work, nor review the slurped data and nonsense results but the idea is sound. DNA adds another dimension. I've tried standalone progs but they simply don't have the reach.

With all this info, an amazing amount can be achieved. I have photos of my great great grandparents from a newly "discovered" second cousin. It certainly brings home how earlier generations lived and died; a number of my now identified relatives died young in WW1.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 12th Nov 18, 2:12 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    slinga
    I wonder if the DNA checks are just generic rather than individual and/or can go back further than three generations.
    Any one who has had one done care to comment.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • chiny
    • By chiny 12th Nov 18, 8:39 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    chiny
    The ancestry.co.uk checks are both... your sample saliva is used to analyse your own DNA. From this data, 2 sets of results are given; the general region where other people with similar DNA are located today (essentially what people/tribe you match), and which other tested individuals (cousins) you partly match.

Other DNA companies may have different presentations; some companies specifically look for health issues. It is early days yet and the science is in development.

The matching with cousins seems to work; I've tracked a number of cousins (and been tracked) starting with DNA ("likely a 4th cousin") to the exact relationship via census/BMD records.

Some worry about privacy; looks like you'll be nobbled anyway, tested or not. And as the TV programme, some have found that they are not who they think they are.
    • china_anne
    • By china_anne 12th Nov 18, 6:59 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    china_anne
    Thanks, think I will give it a go.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • OhhEnnEmm
    • By OhhEnnEmm 15th Nov 18, 11:36 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    OhhEnnEmm
    I think I'll be having a go with the old Ancestry research this weekend, something I've never really done, but it does interest me
    • pleasedelete
    • By pleasedelete 20th Dec 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 3,557 Thanks
    pleasedelete
    I took advantage dog the 30 day trial. They charged me on day 15. They say that they don't do 30 day trials in the UK- it was the UK website and the links that I followed to 30 days are still live.

They refused to refund (despite providing screen shots) and are generally quite aggressive in their responses- so I think that they must scam a lot of people in this way.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 1st Jan 19, 11:43 AM
    • 9,016 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I have been with Ancestry for 8 years and have just signed up for another year using a discount https://www.ancestry.co.uk/secure/subscribe/signup/register/O-24531?rtype=11&flowId=11

This costs only £59.95 for 12 months and offers full UK access

If you want world access - it costs £89.99 - I use this one
    both for 12months - and saves at least £100 on each option

I also have Family Tree Maker 2017 which Ancestry backs up to locally and I use an addon called Family Book Creator (2017) - which allows unlimited reports to be created
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 01-01-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 1st Jan 19, 12:37 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    LHW99
    I use GenoPro, which is a relatively cheap family tree software that allows adding of photos, and also covers a range of other social relationships if required. I have had a subscription to Lives of the !st World war, which gives access to a range of records, not just military, and also use a range of free sites (eg Commonwealth War Graves, FreeREG etc).
    I haven't subscribed to Ancestry or FMP, although I have used them at libraries, but have guest registered for several sites.
    I agree the Scotland's People site is good, and wish there was an equivalent one for Ireland.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 1st Jan 19, 9:39 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    littlerock
    I let my sub lapse last year so that I could try FindMyPast. When I logged into ancestry recently, I could do simple searches as a guest but I was no longer able to find my Family Tree online.
    • welshbabe88
    • By welshbabe88 10th Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    welshbabe88
    The ancestry.co.uk checks are both... your sample saliva is used to analyse your own DNA. From this data, 2 sets of results are given; the general region where other people with similar DNA are located today (essentially what people/tribe you match), and which other tested individuals (cousins) you partly match.

Other DNA companies may have different presentations; some companies specifically look for health issues. It is early days yet and the science is in development.

The matching with cousins seems to work; I've tracked a number of cousins (and been tracked) starting with DNA ("likely a 4th cousin") to the exact relationship via census/BMD records.
    Originally posted by chiny

Has anyone done Ancestry DNA and what sort of results do you get? I'd be interested in finding family connections but are there any health results at all - I'd rather not know those so have been hesitant to do it.

Regarding original question - you can cancel membership and still have your tree online and edit it and add pictures etc - then just re-subscribe when you want to search the records for a while - I've been doing it on and off for years.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 10th Jan 19, 10:45 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I let my sub lapse last year so that I could try FindMyPast. When I logged into ancestry recently, I could do simple searches as a guest but I was no longer able to find my Family Tree online.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    Thatís odd. I havenít subscribed for a year or so, my two family trees are still there and can be edited/added to as a guest. Did you delete your account?
    • welshbabe88
    • By welshbabe88 11th Jan 19, 10:37 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    welshbabe88
    Thatís odd. I havenít subscribed for a year or so, my two family trees are still there and can be edited/added to as a guest. Did you delete your account?
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Yes sounds like they either deleted their tree by mistake or else logged in with a different email etc. My tree has been fine on Ancestry for years.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    • 7,029 Posts
    • 12,908 Thanks
    Farway
    Has anyone done Ancestry DNA and what sort of results do you get? I'd be interested in finding family connections but are there any health results at all - I'd rather not know those so have been hesitant to do it..
    Originally posted by welshbabe88
    I did it end of last year, I can't say I fully understand the results or checked up on likely "cousins" but work in progress

They do not report on health at all but I believe there is another firm that does, like you not sure I'd like to know
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 11th Jan 19, 6:58 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 7,419 Thanks
    culpepper
    In case anyone finds it useful to know....

Ancestry is useful for certificates and documents...The census and birth marriage and death documents,embarkation documents and some forces records.
    You can see other peoples public trees and request a look at private trees all during the free trial but the messaging bit is gone once you are not a paying member.
    The online tree is easy to use but the photographs and docs are not searchable .
    The forum part isnt that good. Some of the threads are years old.

Find my past has newspapers but I didnt like that there was no view of other people's trees.
    The online tree is not quite as easy to use as Ancestry's but the hints are very good and you can deduce quite a lot just from those.

My heritage is the one with a limited amount of people that you can add to your tree , you can download their family tree maker for free or you could a while ago.There are trees from other countries too which was useful for my family research.

There is a free site called familysearch which is run by the latterdaysaints and has a lot of free records from England and USA that was very useful.

Also free BMD has lots of useful records and you can search by mothers surname for births .
    The marriages bit is good too because while it doesnt usually have the actual document, it has the number of the document and the names of those married in that place and you can just cross reference them to discover who married whom.

There are several Grave websites which are free and some of the forces have dedicated sites too e.g. the Royal Marines.
    • welshbabe88
    • By welshbabe88 11th Jan 19, 10:14 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    welshbabe88
    I did it end of last year, I can't say I fully understand the results or checked up on likely "cousins" but work in progress

They do not report on health at all but I believe there is another firm that does, like you not sure I'd like to know
    Originally posted by Farway

Thanks Farway - good to know.
    • Magenta
    • By Magenta 13th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 2,029 Posts
    • 5,726 Thanks
    Magenta
    Has anyone done Ancestry DNA and what sort of results do you get? I'd be interested in finding family connections but are there any health results at all - I'd rather not know those so have been hesitant to do it.

Regarding original question - you can cancel membership and still have your tree online and edit it and add pictures etc - then just re-subscribe when you want to search the records for a while - I've been doing it on and off for years.
    Originally posted by welshbabe88

I did the DNA one about 3 years ago and it was for ancestors and health.
    They have added bits to results each year as science advances.
    The health report is straightforward but the DNA relatives is a bit more complicated and does send you found in circles sometimes. I have been in touch with some cousins and swapped information.
    I did it at the time mainly for the health report but it has been fun so far finding relatives.
    Hope this helps you
    Magenta
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,012Posts Today

5,380Users online

Martin's Twitter