Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 19th Oct 18, 5:02 PM
    • 988Posts
    • 198Thanks
    ceewash
    0 WOW
    Travels in China
    • 19th Oct 18, 5:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Travels in China 19th Oct 18 at 5:02 PM
    Planning our second (2 week) visit to China in April 2019. Our DS is in Beijing so would like to incorporate that city although we have visited before so done the tourist sites and Great Wall. We've also been to Xi'an. Would love some ideas of places to visit. Will travel around, preferably by train and can stay over at different places but need to be in Beijing for part of the stay. Would love to here from people who have been. Not organised trips, though.
Page 1
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 19th Oct 18, 8:30 PM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 5,521 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 19th Oct 18, 8:30 PM
    • 19th Oct 18, 8:30 PM
    We were there on business a few years ago. Flew in to Shanghai, where the F1 Grand Prix happened to be happening. Well, it would have been rude not to go...

We had two days in Shanghai itself and then a day at the F1. I loved Shanghai, can recommend just wandering, eating street food, the Bund, and a nighttime cruise on the river. Don't let anyone try to talk you in to going to a traditional tea ceremony - a regular scam, a couple of pretty girls want to practice their English and then 'Surprise!!' they remember there's a tea ceremony and do you want to come?
    We then had 3 days in Zibo, about midway between Shanghai and Beijing (90 minutes flight time if I remember correctly).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zibo
    OH was working, so I was pretty much on my own. I arranged an English speaking guide and a driver via the concierge at the hotel (about £70 all in for guide + car + driver for the day). I visited the Qi city museum, and the soccer museum, which were surprisingly interesting. Zibo is a 'small' town of only about 4m people - very interesting to see the real China, away from the big city.
    We then flew to Beijing for the last 3 days - I found it very different from Shanghai, big military presence, felt very strange walking across Tienanmen Square.
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 19th Oct 18, 10:04 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    ceewash
    • 19th Oct 18, 10:04 PM
    • 19th Oct 18, 10:04 PM
    Thanks I've heard that Shanghai is good place to visit. We loved Beijing visiting all the iconic places. Loved the "foreignness" of it all, especially wandering round the hutong areas. Zibo sounds good will read up on it.
    Deciding between flying to Hong Kong or Shanghai as a starting point.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 20th Oct 18, 7:33 AM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 20th Oct 18, 7:33 AM
    • 20th Oct 18, 7:33 AM
    Hong Kong is an interesting place and does have some tranquil areas (my advice would be to visit the Big Buddha). The journey there by cable car affords lovely views.

On my Chinese trip I went to Guangzhou (via Macau) which was nice enough for a night. We then took a sleeper train to Guilin from where we took a raft/boat along the Li river to Yangshuo for a day trip.

We then flew to Hangzhou which is a massive city alongside a beautiful lake and mountains. From there it was an hour or two on a train into Shanghai.

Shanghai is definitely worth a few days. I would also recommend taking the bullet train to the airport as itís stupidly fast (400kmh) and an experience in itself.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 20th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    ceewash
    • 20th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    • 20th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    Thanks. Some great ideas there. Not sure if HK might be a bit hectic for us so these other places worth a look.Like the sound of the river trip.
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 20th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    ceewash
    • 20th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 20th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    Shanghai airport?
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 20th Oct 18, 12:11 PM
    • 7,178 Posts
    • 325,413 Thanks
    DUKE
    • 20th Oct 18, 12:11 PM
    • 20th Oct 18, 12:11 PM
    Shanghai airport?
    Originally posted by ceewash
    Really sorry I've deleted, I was thinking of Singapore

One of the hotels we stayed in was the T Hotel in HK, it overlooked the South China Sea & was in a rather interesting local neighbourhood. The bus was just a 20 minute ride to the ferry terminal, we enjoyed trips to Lamma Island, Cheung Chau Island, & Mui Wo, which was my favourite. That part of our trip was very peaceful compared to the rest.
    Thanks everyone!
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 20th Oct 18, 1:41 PM
    • 12,694 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 20th Oct 18, 1:41 PM
    • 20th Oct 18, 1:41 PM
    Hong Kong is really different from the rest of China, and offers a great deal. Don't be put off by the thought that it has a hectic city centre, since it also has some great nature reserves and islands. Flights between HK and other Chinese cities are priced as international flights, and so cost more per kilometre than domestic flights. You can avoid this by flying into Shenzhen and using one of several interesting ways to get from there to Honk Kong (at one time there was even a boat linking the two airports!).

Guilin has already been mentioned. According to traditional Chinese ideas, Guilin is the most beautiful place in the world because of the view it offers of an unusual landscape dominated by very steep ("Karst") hills. However, most Europeans enjoy the landscape more by being in the middle of it: a good way to experience this is to go to Yangshuo, an attractive town that has developed as a centre for back-packer tourism. Yes: there are organised boat tours along the river linking Guilin and Yangshuo, but plenty of other ways to get there and to experience the area. I certainly think that Yangshuo deserves a few days rather than a flying visit, although Guilin is also interesting and attractive.

Another highlight, much further west than these places, is Lijiang, a traditional walled town that was the scene for the TV documentary "Beyond the Clouds". The nearest airport is probably Kunming (which is also worth visiting).
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 13th Jan 19, 6:40 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    ceewash
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:40 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:40 AM
    Been looking at all these suggestions, thank you. Had a slight change of plan and won't be able to go until July/August which I know will mean suffering the heat. Looking for places along the coast which might be a "bit" cooler. been looking at Qingdao? Any other suggestions for escaping the heat.
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 13th Jan 19, 4:58 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 2,255 Thanks
    ruperts
    Another vote for Guilin and Yangshuo. The scenery around there is the most enchanting I've ever seen, just stunning. Also enjoyed Kunming and then travelling up to and around Dali and Lijiang. The high altitude around there takes some of the sting out of the summer heat, although it'll probably still be very warm and it's a long way from the coast.
    • danandjens worldtravels
    • By danandjens worldtravels 13th Jan 19, 5:18 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    danandjens worldtravels
    A short trip on the train from Shanghai, is Suzhou itís got some nice traditional streets, canals and gardens. The museum was quite pleasenr too. We spent two days there a few years ago on a stopover through Shanghai. Get the train not
    the bus though - much better!

https://wikitravel.org/en/Suzhou
    • ceewash
    • By ceewash 13th Jan 19, 6:06 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    ceewash
    Looking forward to looking at all these suggestions when we have our planning session. Thanks for the ideas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin