Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 13th Oct 18, 11:33 PM
    • 189Posts
    • 120Thanks
    novelty-socks
    Flat conversion: second viewing and questions for agent
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:33 PM
    Flat conversion: second viewing and questions for agent 13th Oct 18 at 11:33 PM
    Hi folks,

I've read a bunch online about this already, but looking to tap into people's specific experience, or learn about pitfalls you've had from similar situations.

Looking to buy a flat in London. Saw one today that doesn't tick all our boxes (none do), but has the compromises in the right places.

The current owner has been there ~20 years. It needs updating but the place seems sound on a quick inspection. Things seem to work and I'm fairly sure we could move in immediately and make improvements gradually. That said, I'm conscious there could be hidden issues and I'd like to identify these if possible.

My current thinking is that we should do this:

1. Send a list of questions to the agent. I'm thinking things like: when was it rewired, has the boiler been replaced lately, how are the neighbours, have there ever been any complaints about noise, what are the service/management charges, etc...
    2. Arrange a second viewing ASAP, Monday if possible.
    3. If answers and viewing are satisfactory, make an offer taking those answers and findings of second viewing into account.

Does that sound reasonable? If you'd seen a flat that was clean, tidy and apparently functional, but somewhat dated, what would you ask and look for on a second viewing?

Thanks!
    Last edited by novelty-socks; 13-10-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Page 1
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 13th Oct 18, 11:37 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 6,272 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:37 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:37 PM
    I'd be asking to see the lease and service charge demands.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,129Posts Today

8,713Users online

Martin's Twitter