Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 13th Oct 18, 8:38 PM
    • 15,549Posts
    • 131,958Thanks
    zagubov
    Printer that can scan double-sided
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:38 PM
    Printer that can scan double-sided 13th Oct 18 at 8:38 PM
    I'm chucking out tons of old paperwork. Decades worth of documents.

Is there a printer available with a feed that would let me scan my papers in bulk (double-sided ideally) so I can just store software versions of everything before I bin or destroy it?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    • 10,796 Posts
    • 11,200 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    Double-sided scanning is quite an exotic requirement for a mainstream printer.

My printer (HP 6960) does have a document feeder for scanning, though. You can scan all the front sides, and then all the back sides and then use software to put them into the correct order.

Have a look for these small office machines from HP and other manufacturers - they are often not that much more expensive than home machines, either.

If you are thinking of buying a new one, watch out for Black Friday deals coming up. Printers seem to be a particular category that Retailers want to get rid of.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-10-2018 at 8:44 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 13th Oct 18, 9:45 PM
    • 15,549 Posts
    • 131,958 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:45 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:45 PM
    Double-sided scanning is quite an exotic requirement for a mainstream printer.

My printer (HP 6960) does have a document feeder for scanning, though. You can scan all the front sides, and then all the back sides and then use software to put them into the correct order.

Have a look for these small office machines from HP and other manufacturers - they are often not that much more expensive than home machines, either.

If you are thinking of buying a new one, watch out for Black Friday deals coming up. Printers seem to be a particular category that Retailers want to get rid of.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I think an office machine might be the way to go for me. I was planning on looking for a Brother printer and wonder if anybody knows how good they are as scanners.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Oct 18, 11:32 PM
    • 27,765 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:32 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:32 PM
    They are as good as the specification and the price.

You can get cheaper ones and ones where it may cost more than your house.

Are you hand feeding or do you want to autofeed the documents?

What resolution do you require? How long to scan a full page or sheet?

Lots of variables which boils down to how much do you with to spend? cost / time / quality. Faster and/or better quality = more money.

60 pages per minute 1400, up that to 80 pages per minute and your adding another 700 or so. Do you want to spend 2000 though?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Oct 18, 11:47 PM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 51,400 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:47 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:47 PM
    They are as good as the specification and the price.

You can get cheaper ones and ones where it may cost more than your house.

Are you hand feeding or do you want to autofeed the documents?

What resolution do you require? How long to scan a full page or sheet?

Lots of variables which boils down to how much do you with to spend? cost / time / quality. Faster and/or better quality = more money.

60 pages per minute 1400, up that to 80 pages per minute and your adding another 700 or so. Do you want to spend 2000 though?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    At thos kind of prices would it be more economical to take them to a print shop and have them scanned there, not sure if they offer self scan if there's anything confidential in the paperwork.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• zagubov
    • By zagubov 14th Oct 18, 12:13 AM
    • 15,549 Posts
    • 131,958 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 14th Oct 18, 12:13 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 12:13 AM
    I appreciate this is a weird requirement.

It's no bother how fast it goes -there's no urgency; if a feeder system could do this the time taken is irrelevant.

The resolution needn't be astonishingly high.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Oct 18, 8:28 AM
    • 10,796 Posts
    • 11,200 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 14th Oct 18, 8:28 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 8:28 AM
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    OTOH, the small office 3-in-1 machines with document feeders start below 100. (Mine was 70).
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 14th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 14th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    OTOH, the small office 3-in-1 machines with document feeders start below 100. (Mine was 70).
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I'd agree - many of the newer multi-function machines will scan double sided - I have an HP 8620 which does it very well and cost less than 100
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Oct 18, 10:13 AM
    • 10,796 Posts
    • 11,200 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 14th Oct 18, 10:13 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 10:13 AM
    This has been replaced by the HP 8720, whose specification confirms double-sided scanning...

https://www.printerland.co.uk/product/hp-officejet-pro-8720/137610

• cajef
    • By cajef 14th Oct 18, 2:26 PM
    • 4,854 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    cajef
    I have a Canon MG5650 which scans double sided without any problems, I use it frequently as it saves a fair amount of paper.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Oct 18, 3:45 PM
    • 8,646 Posts
    • 9,857 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    At thos kind of prices would it be more economical to take them to a print shop and have them scanned there, not sure if they offer self scan if there's anything confidential in the paperwork.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Or scan for free in your local library.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 14th Oct 18, 5:23 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    My Epson WF-3520 has a document feeder and scans double sided without problem, I think that model number has now been superceded, but costs less than 100.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    RumRat
    Look at getting one of the HP Officejet printers with the 4 month free instant ink trial.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Oct 18, 8:32 PM
    • 33,274 Posts
    • 20,092 Thanks
    getmore4less
    If you have loads to do a document feed is a must.

Brother do a decent A3 double sided scan duplex printer a bit pricy but for a lot of stuff they are robust and reliable.

Check cashback on these higher end printers.

I got one of the single side scan ones(30) from John Lewis well happy.

Check out the j5730 it is on offer and has cashback might be duplex scan
    Last edited by getmore4less; 14-10-2018 at 8:47 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Oct 18, 5:44 AM
    • 33,274 Posts
    • 20,092 Thanks
    getmore4less
    there are dedicated scanners.
    https://www.brother.co.uk/scanners

had another look at the printers the MFC-J5730 is A4 duplex scan.

MFC-J6930DW Full A3 scanning more expensive.
    (I have the J6530 a less capable A3 version)

cash backs
    https://www.brother.co.uk/latest-promotions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

9,313Users online

Martin's Twitter