Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jasdev
    • By jasdev 13th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 10Thanks
    jasdev
    Leaking radiator
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    Leaking radiator 13th Oct 18 at 8:12 PM
    Tried to find an option to upload photos from my phone here but not found one so far...

I came home after half a day out to find a pool of brownish fluid on my bathroom tiles, tracing the source up one side of my radiator. The leak appears to be coming from a slim hexagonal nut on the top.

I didn't have the heating on at all today, but it has been on during the week and I've not noticed any previous leak (unless my bath mat has been soaking it all up without taking on a brownish colour).

I think my landlord isn't able to do anything before Monday so I figured I would try to tighten it in order to stem the flow before I can get them out to look at it.

I haven't got a wrench so I'm off to see what Sainsbury's or Wilko have in stock, but I thought I would find out what the wise men and women of MSE Forums can advise while I wait til Monday!

Actually, this guy might have pointed me in the correct direction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e0HzJhxZtc
    If it is the packing gland, I guess I also need to buy some PTFE just in case and try that, if I can buy it.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 34,035 Posts
    • 40,150 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    It's the bleed valve , may just need tightening .

But may be rusted solid in place
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 13th Oct 18, 8:35 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 2,321 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:35 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:35 PM
    Personally I wouldn't touch it. You may make it better, you may make it a lot worse.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 13th Oct 18, 9:58 PM
    • 10,748 Posts
    • 9,638 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:58 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:58 PM
    Leave well alone. if you mess it up you and the property will get very wet. Your landlord will not be happy and neither will you.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 13th Oct 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:12 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:12 PM
    Rad bleed valve and stop end set …

https://www.screwfix.com/p/radiator-vent-blanking-plug-chrome-2-pack/40972

3.19 pair, however you need to drain down a bit and possibly top up a bit of inhibitor so in a renter I'd be passing this to the land lord.
    • jasdev
    • By jasdev 13th Oct 18, 10:21 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jasdev
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:21 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:21 PM
    Thank you all for responding!

As it's late and I'm not fully alert, I think I will sleep and contact my landlord in the morning to see what they say again.

I hope my bath towel is sufficient to soak up the leak overnight; at the moment a slow drip so crossing my fingers it does not get any worse!
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 13th Oct 18, 10:49 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:49 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:49 PM
    Turn off both radiator valves and the leak will stop. Let landlord get someone in Monday to fix.
    • jasdev
    • By jasdev 16th Oct 18, 9:37 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jasdev
    • 16th Oct 18, 9:37 PM
    • 16th Oct 18, 9:37 PM
    Now that a temporary fix has been applied, I've tried to wash the two bath towels that picked up radiator fluid stains, but both a 60 degree and a 90 degree wash (both with normal amounts of laundry detergent for the size of the load) failed to shift the stains.

Any ideas?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Oct 18, 9:40 PM
    • 9,723 Posts
    • 14,962 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 16th Oct 18, 9:40 PM
    • 16th Oct 18, 9:40 PM
    Now that a temporary fix has been applied, I've tried to wash the two bath towels that picked up radiator fluid stains, but both a 60 degree and a 90 degree wash (both with normal amounts of laundry detergent for the size of the load) failed to shift the stains.

Any ideas?
    Originally posted by jasdev
    Buy new towels.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 16th Oct 18, 9:57 PM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Buy new towels.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • jasdev
    • By jasdev 17th Oct 18, 7:01 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jasdev
    That.s plan B...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,420Posts Today

7,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin