Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • obmij
    • By obmij 13th Oct 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    obmij
    Not sure who has provided me with PPI
    • 13th Oct 18, 5:54 PM
    Not sure who has provided me with PPI 13th Oct 18 at 5:54 PM
    Hi Forum.

I have had many, many loans over the years, I am fairly certain many of them would have had PPI attached in some way.

I have been contacted once by AA personal finance who sent me a cheque for 200 or so completely out of with blue, along with a letter apologising for adding PPI to the loan I took out - so that was great.

But how to find out who else may have added PPI to a loan when I have very little documentation relating to settled finance - and pretty much no idea who I may have had loans with and at what time.

Obviously I receive plenty of marketing from Claims management companies who say they can find this information out on my behalf. How would they go about doing this?

I have had a look at the resolver site - however this appears to require more information than I have at the moment.

What to do..?
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Oct 18, 6:02 PM
    • 36,186 Posts
    • 46,654 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:02 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:02 PM
    Forget CMcs, they can only investigate on info you give them.
    I fail to see how you can make a complaint of a miss sale and prove it if you cant even remember if you indeed had it.

If you have any info, just ask those in the information you have
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Oct 18, 6:03 PM
    • 95,423 Posts
    • 63,074 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:03 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:03 PM
    But how to find out who else may have added PPI to a loan when I have very little documentation relating to settled finance - and pretty much no idea who I may have had loans with and at what time.
    Your credit record will show the last 6 years of debts. Although most had pulled out of selling it by around 2009 (give or take). So, it would really only show any long term debts you have had.

Apart from that, it is down to your memory and your own records.

Obviously I receive plenty of marketing from Claims management companies who say they can find this information out on my behalf. How would they go about doing this?
    They check your credit records. They also spam the top banks with fake complaints or enquiries.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • obmij
    • By obmij 13th Oct 18, 6:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    obmij
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:35 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:35 PM
    Forget CMcs, they can only investigate on info you give them.
    I fail to see how you can make a complaint of a miss sale and prove it if you cant even remember if you indeed had it.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Thanks for your reply. I have been self employed for 20 years so any PPI added to a loan would have been missold.

As it happens I have never knowingly taken out PPI, as I have always been aware that as a self employed person, PPI is/was unsuitable for my needs. The issue is that PPI may have been added to products without my consent or knowledge - as happened with the AA personal loan.

If they had not contacted me and refunded the PPI, I would not have known it had been added to the loan.

So it is possible that many other loans had an opt out clause somewhere in the small print and I unwittingly paid PPI without knowingly consenting to it (and obviously, it being wholly unsuitable for my needs)

Anyway - thanks to your replies I now know there is no 'magic button' or way of searching for past loans, so my only option is to contact any company who may have provided me with finance and request any information they have on me?

Can anyone think of any other options?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Oct 18, 6:58 PM
    • 95,423 Posts
    • 63,074 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:58 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:58 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I have been self employed for 20 years so any PPI added to a loan would have been missold.
    That doesnt make it missold. Most PPI did cover the self employed without issue. A significant minority of PPI plans did not. That is why it is often mentioned but its not a 100% rule.

As it happens I have never knowingly taken out PPI, as I have always been aware that as a self employed person, PPI is/was unsuitable for my needs. The issue is that PPI may have been added to products without my consent or knowledge - as happened with the AA personal loan.
    Its not possible with a personal loan. It is a requirement under the consumer credit act for the PPI to be shown on the agreement and its cost. So, it would have been listed. Not in some small print but in the section that details the figures and the repayment. It is more likely that you took little or no notice. I don't mean that in a horrible way but it is the reality of the situation. It would have been highly visual had you looked.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    • 5,440 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    societys child
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    The issue is that PPI may have been added to products without my consent or knowledge
    You never read the agreements you were signing? Or checked statements?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,842Posts Today

8,770Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin