Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 13th Oct 18, 4:15 PM
    • 50Posts
    • 231Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    Aiming for 1200 overpayment this year
    • 13th Oct 18, 4:15 PM
    Aiming for 1200 overpayment this year 13th Oct 18 at 4:15 PM
    In August I remortgaged on to a better interest rate with the same company and they let me keep my repayments the same.

This cut my mortgaged life from 19 years to 17 years.

So I thought if I started some overpayments then I could reduce this further.

I'm otherwise debt free and currently put away 600 in saving a month which I am saving for trip to Disney / new kitchen / new car!

So I though I'd challenge myself to find 1200 extra to overpay on the mortgage but not to take it out of my savings (if that makes sense). I'm hoping to do this in 12 months. So thats 100 a month target.

I started last month and cut my weekly spend ( food, entertainment etc) down to 80. As it was a 5 weekend month... that gives 100 so far.

I need to frequently change how I'm cutting back or I get board.

My household is me, my son, super spaniel, terminator cat and the fish!

Will do a thorough budget and come back to this.

Page 2
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 3rd Nov 18, 6:02 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    I like the idea of cash envelopes CSM. The only reason I haven't gone down that road is John Lewis vouchers I get through using their credit card

I keep a spending diary in my bullet journal (although tbh I don't really bullet journal any more - keeping track of spends is its main job now!) I have headings for my main budget lines. I do think it helps keep track of things e.g. doing a weekly tot up so see how far through the month's pot you are. Contactless payments etc can be tricky as if I don't get a receipt I can forget the purchase

Well done on your OPs, CSM
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 4th Nov 18, 7:51 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    [QUOTEBy!Hazelnutty3rd Nov 18, 6:02 PM

What's this?

HAZELNUTTYView public profileSend private messageFind more postsView all thanked postsAdd to contacts

I like the idea of cash envelopes CSM. The only reason I haven't gone down that road is John Lewis vouchers I get through using their credit card!

[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I don't trust myself with a credit card. I used to have a stack load of debt in the late 90' early 2000's. It all started with a credit card!!! It snowballed and snowballed. I know how hard it is to get out of debt.
    But well done you, for being so incontrolled! I'd love to be disciplined to do this.

I've 15 items ending on ebay today... only five currently have bids but fingers crossed for a list minute flurry of bids! Have 5 new listening prepared so will put them on this evening.

My bank changes over tomorrow to a new account at a new bank. Feeling stressed about this as I've not battled through all the hoops to get to mobile banking yet.
    I've prepared by taking out my food money for the month and my entertainment money. Trying to be uber disciplined and keep the total monthly budget at 300.

Off for a chilly run.

Happy sunday.
    Mortgage overpayment target is 1200
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 4th Nov 18, 10:54 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I know what you mean about cc's...although I've kept one, when I use it now I pay the balance monthly as a rule - I get really jittery if I don't! saying that, it currently has a balance which I won't be able to clear immediately due to a variety of reasons but should be gone in the next two months

Fingers crossed that you get your sales
    15 Month Challenge: House - 13585.85/25300; Mortgage - 1160/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 4th Nov 18, 3:49 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    Hi squirrelgirl..
    Life gets in the way of the best intentions at times.
    I know what you mean about getting jittery. I'd be exactly the same. Honestly... I've become such a debt phobic its not funny.
    I justify my mortgage only on the grounds I couldn't possibly save up and pay rent. My financial situation has vastly improved since I got it. I know frugaldom managed it and am in awe of how frugal she is.

Ebay is going ok. Some things sold at higher value than I expected.. it brings out the worst in me. I'm all but shouting.. BID PEOPLE BID!

Been packaging up whats sold, will update later when all the auctions have finished. It's all for tge OP pot!
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 4th Nov 18, 9:25 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    your (almost) shouting at people to bid on your items made me smile. It reminded me of my BIL who shouts at the speakers on question time.
    CRx
    Mortgage 82,000, due to end July 2036. 4/11/18 Mortgage 79,872.13
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 4th Nov 18, 9:47 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    Well I've added up my ebay auctions..
    Made 151, excluding postage costs. Obviously there will be sellers fees but not bad!
    Listed a few more items. 2 got bids within the first hour...

So yet more excitment of the auction for me.
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 4th Nov 18, 9:52 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    [QUOTEWhat's this?

THE CROSS RABBITView public profileSend private messageFind more postsView all thanked postsAdd to contacts

your (almost) shouting at people to bid on your items made me smile. It reminded me of my BIL who shouts at the speakers on question time.
    CRx

[/QUOTE]
    Honestly I'm terrible..
    I'm all... ohh I be happy if I got x amount..
    After a few bids and near the end of the auction, its more... STOP BEING TIGHT, BID YOU @#$! BID I WANT MORE MONEY.

I often have a conversations with the TV. Its like talking to my little one when he's on the ipad except I have more chance of a conversation with the tv!
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 6th Nov 18, 4:06 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    My bank change over was yesterday...

I went to use my shiny new debit card, to pay postage on ebay sales, and it was declined!

Luckily, I have taken money out of the bank as have given myself a monthly target instead of a weekly one.

Will try it again tomorrow but could do without this hassle.

Also no mobile / internet or phone banking as they have a long process... which I get... but I hate not being able to see whats going on!.
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 7th Nov 18, 11:08 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    Well I've been fighting technology tonight!
    Struggling to get new mobile banking sorted. Grrr
    But I did see that the 50 compensation for the hassles I'm having has been added.
    So that brings the total money for OP up to 201.. so far!
    Still got things on ebay and hoping to save some of my wages as well.

Night night people!
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 9th Nov 18, 6:30 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    Went swimming last night and whilst I was out I thought I may as well go to Mr S to save me a trio today.
    Spent 16.40...
    But I did puck up my double point vouchers!.
    Have 70 of vouchers towards the nintendo switch I want to get small for christmas. If I can't use both on I item then I'll buy him a game there.

So that's another chunk in the mortgage pot!

Also still have old toys on ebay... fingers crossed for more money in the pot!

I also chucked some change in my sealed pot challenge.
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • MottledDebt
    • By MottledDebt 9th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    MottledDebt
    Welcome to the overpayments club!

Just looking at your spends, is 41 normal for animal insurance? Could you look at a comparison and get it cheaper? Even saving 20 per month could bump your overpayments up to almost 1500 per year
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 9th Nov 18, 5:24 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Hope your banking woes have been resolved! seems a lot of people are struggling with technology at the moment...i long for the days of pen and paper!!!
    15 Month Challenge: House - 13585.85/25300; Mortgage - 1160/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 10th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    Mottled Debt
    I know its expensive but its a lifetime plan which means should he get an ongoing condition such as diabetes they have to pay for as long as he's insured. We've had a dog with a chronic long term condition before so we're prepared!
    As doggie has a pedigree that also bumps it up massively... but thanks for taking the time to comment.

Squirrelgirl...
    Technology is driving me mad at the moment
    Food shopping budget is stressing me out! But I'm sticking with it! As its just me and small I find it easier to budget! Hope your hubby bought a lot of food!

Anyhow I'm the proud owner of 2 spice girl tickets!!

Had a peak online and the face value of them has more than tripled... thats ridiculous! Just to add... am planning on going but do have a spare. If no one wants to come with me then I'll take small!

More ebay auctions ending tomorrow! 5 items have bids but I'll be yelling at the computer for more bids.
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 11th Nov 18, 1:36 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    Currently nearing end of auctions on ebay.

5.99 in the pot so far!!
    I'm amazed at how much it stresses me out!
    Bid people bid!
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 13th Nov 18, 5:54 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    On the up side.. my ebay sales have hit 247
    I've got 150 for switching bank
    I gor an extra 50 compensation as they messed up opening the account.
    I saved 70 on the cost for a nintendo switch using nectar double points.
    So thats a whooping 520 OP before looking at how much money I've saved from cuttjng back on my spending!

That bits the down side..
    120 on spice girl tickets... well I've sold one to a friend (at cost) so I'll get 60 back

Am still battling the nhs for smalls meds so thats 50 for a private prescription.

Last night... found out the sewage pipe was blocked! It was where 3 drains joined together.. so I paid a third of that!

Even more annoying is tge 'new' bank... I'm still battling through the billion layers of security to use mobile banking and the new code they've sent does not work. I've also had a text saving my account has been disabled due to recent security updates..
    So I guess I'll be back in complaining!
    I was with my previous bank since I was a student so about 39 years and never did I need to go in to complain!

Must remember to claim for a train ticket I bought for a training course that would be another 82 for the OP pot!
    418 / 782
    November GC 150
    Total so far 54 / 96
    SPC #80
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

2,729Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin