Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RJC3010
    • By RJC3010 13th Oct 18, 4:11 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RJC3010
    HELP: Leasehold/Freehold potenital error on Land registry, Deeds & Contract
    • 13th Oct 18, 4:11 PM
    HELP: Leasehold/Freehold potenital error on Land registry, Deeds & Contract 13th Oct 18 at 4:11 PM
    I'm just starting the process of getting my flat valued to sell. I live in a newly built block of flats (2015) with 8 other flats - bought from new and pay ground rent and service charges. Upon having the valuations from various estate agents they have asked about the length of lease left. I had no idea so I've gone back over the land registry documents, contract and deeds but found they all confirm my tenure is "Freehold".
    I think this is a mistake as surely it should be "Leasehold"?
    I've also looked on seeling sites like Rightmove where it confirms the other flats in the building are all "leasehold" but mine appears to be registered as "freehold".

Does anyone have any idea where do I stand with this?
    Will it cause problems trying to sell?
    Should I apply to Land Registry to get it changed or should I just leave it?
    Am I in a better position leaving it as Freehold?
    Should I challenge the fact I've been paying the ground rent when legally I'm registered as freehold?

Any advice would be great! Thank you.
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Oct 18, 7:00 PM
    • 7,251 Posts
    • 7,205 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:00 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:00 PM
    If you really had a freehold flat, it would be unmortgageable and very difficult to sell.

TBH, I suspect that you are misunderstanding the documents that you are looking at.

Typically,
    - each flat will be owned by a leaseholder
    - the whole building will be owned by a freeholder

(Although it's possible that you own the leasehold and you jointly own the freehold with the other leaseholders, but I would have thought you'd know if that was the case.)

When you bought the leasehold of your flat, you would probably have been given copies of the freehold title as well - so you could see who your freeholder is, etc.

Try searching for your flat's address here:
    https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do

You should find 2 entries :
    - the leasehold title (owned by you)
    - the freehold title (probably owned by somebody else)
    Last edited by eddddy; 13-10-2018 at 7:14 PM.
    • RJC3010
    • By RJC3010 15th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RJC3010
    • 15th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 15th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    Thank you Eddddy. I have looked up the Register as you suggested but it does confirm the property tenure is freehold, and I am listed as the proprietor. I do suspect this was an error when the documents were submitted when I bought it.
    Unsure where to go from here....go to Land Registry or the Solicitor I used to buy the property?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,635Posts Today

7,837Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin