Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frankieb123
    • By frankieb123 13th Oct 18, 2:10 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    frankieb123
    BPF VT Collection charge
    • 13th Oct 18, 2:10 PM
    BPF VT Collection charge 13th Oct 18 at 2:10 PM
    Hi I voluntary terminated my PCP car last month after paying more than the 50%. Car was uplifted and taken away. Never signed any paperwork. Received a letter today from Barclays saying they had passed 150 balance to Credit Resource Solutions (no explanation what it was for). Phoned Barclays and asked them they said it was for the collection of the car from my property. I told them that the collection charge was never mentioned to me and that I hadn't received any paperwork relating to it. When I spoke to the collection agent they never mentioned any charges either. The women I spoke to say that she would reduce the fee to 125 as a goodwill gesture but I was legally bound to pay the money as:

under my responsibilities on the credit agreement:
    pay us (when we demand) all reasonable expenses, costs, legal or other we have to pay in connection with taking action to recover any amounts you owe us, finding out the location of the vehicle, or taking possession of the vehicle from you or any other person. (This includes any payment we make to remove any right which another person may have relating to the vehicle.)
    Pay for any claims against us and all damages, reasonable costs and expenses we have to pay as a result of a claim someone else makes due to the state or condition of the vehicle or how the vehicle is used.
    Use of the vehicle for personal use (including travelling to and from work) and not for business use.

The car I handed back was well under mileage and in cracking order but as far as I was concerned I had fulfilled my agreement under: Termination your rights.

Sorry for the long post but to cut a long story short I told them to stick their offer and told them I was going to the financial ombudsman. Do they have any right to pursue me for money if I was never told there was a collection fee. By the way I have all the calls I made recorded so there is no mention of collection in any of the calls to Barclays or the collection company.

Cheers
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Oct 18, 3:14 PM
    • 11,833 Posts
    • 8,575 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th Oct 18, 3:14 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 3:14 PM
    If you're certain you didn't sign anything from Barclays regarding the VT then they can't charge you any fees other than what would be due to damage in excess of fair wear & tear. The debt collection company they've passed the debt on to is pretty much toothless, just tell them the "debt" is in dispute and leave it at that. If BPF want to take this to court then that's up to them but I very much doubt they will because they know full well they would lose.
    • Stuart2088
    • By Stuart2088 13th Oct 18, 9:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stuart2088
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:59 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:59 PM
    When I did the same recently with Barclays there was definitely mention of this charge in the paperwork.
    As the auction they used in my area was relatively close I deposited the car there myself to avoid this charge.
    However shortly afterwards they sent me a request for 35 !!!!
    Supposedly for a valet and inspection at the auction. The car was immaculate when deposited.
    I had no intention of paying this and binned it.
    I had no further requests for it.
    When I received my final statement on the account this 35 was shown as written off.
    Just trying it on.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 11,833 Posts
    • 8,575 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 14th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    When I did the same recently with Barclays there was definitely mention of this charge in the paperwork.
    As the auction they used in my area was relatively close I deposited the car there myself to avoid this charge.
    However shortly afterwards they sent me a request for 35 !!!!
    Supposedly for a valet and inspection at the auction. The car was immaculate when deposited.
    I had no intention of paying this and binned it.
    I had no further requests for it.
    When I received my final statement on the account this 35 was shown as written off.
    Just trying it on.
    Originally posted by Stuart2088
    Which is why you never sign the additional paperwork otherwise you agree to terms over and above your statutory obligations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,587Posts Today

7,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin