Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    Driving Instructor Refusing Refund
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    Driving Instructor Refusing Refund 13th Oct 18 at 11:17 AM
    Hi,

Iím not sure if this is the right place to post but I am hoping somebody could help me.

Basically, myself and my partner was learning to drive. The instructor said that we would need around 30 lessons each and we paid in full for convenience (bank transfer). He began cancelling lessons last minute and one text I got just said ďcanít do today, got other plansĒ even though two days before he told me that heíd pick me up at 11:30...

My partner ended up passing and Iím having a c-section in 31 days and heís made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Iíve got 6 lessons left and to be totally honest, I donít want to learn with him anymore. Iíd only ever done a parallel park 3 times. When I went to do it I was too far away from the curb and he pretended to shoot himself in the head.

Heíd tell me I was doing things wrong but then next lesson when I did them how he told me previously, heíd tell me Iím still doing them wrong and basically change his mind constantly on what was right and wrong.

He told me he was going to jump of a bridge after the lesson because I make him suicidle (although this will have been a joke, with a partner who suffers depression I didnít find it funny.)

There was an alcoholic with a pram crossing the road and I was being weary of them because I didnít know if would step out infront of the car (he wasnít meant to cross) and the instructor joked and obviously didnít mean it ďjust hit him.Ē I said no thatís disgusting. He said well itís one waste of space out the world. I said but his son has done nothing wrong and his reply was ďwell he will turn out like his parents.Ē And it made me feel really uncomfortable.

He said to my partner ďtreat a curb like an underage school girl. You can brush past it but your not allowed to mount it.Ē

Basically things kept being said and at one point I snapped and said I couldnít cope with how he was making me feel. Even when I did things right he would try and tell me I did it wrong. My last lesson I had with him he told me I did a bay park wrong. Slammed open his door and then realised I was in perfect but the car behind me and to the side was actually pulled too far forwards and had to eat his words.

Anyway. I told him I didnít feel comfortable with him anymore and requested a refund. I canít even give the lessons to my partner because heís already passed. Now for 10 lessons itís £225 (should be £250)

So I said I donít mind you obviously keeping the lesson that would have been free and just refunding the five but itís a lot to loose out on and I donít want to stress myself out being in a car with someone I donít feel comfortable with.

He replied ďsorry, I donít refund block bookings. Iíll hold your lessons till Christmas though.Ē

Knowing that I wonít even be able to drive at Christmas as Iíll have had a c-section 3/4 weeks prior...

Sorry for the ramble I just wanted to explain as much as I could. I just wondered if Iím entitled to my money back or can he get away with keeping it.
Page 2
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 13th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    comeandgo
    Iím going to leave this now.
    Iíve seen this forum as helpful usually but it seems like making digs about killing himself/his pupil. Making people feel uncomfortable and joking about having sex with an underage school girl is appropriate.

Iíll seek advice elsewhere.
    Originally posted by AmberJayneB93
    But these things are nothing to do with you getting your money back. You are confusing two different problems. You want your money back, is he legally required to repay you, on what you have said, no, legally you are not entitled to repayment. Is he a plonker, well he certainly sounds like one but that will not get you any repayment.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:22 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    I didn’t say you was condoning it.
    What I’m saying is how can you not see this makes me feel uncomfortable and agree I should just spend another 6 hours with this man?

I paid for 20 lessons, he was brill, I paid for 10 more and by the 1st/2nd lesson of those 10 he started being funny, I continued to do two more lessons and he almost reduced me to tears in the last lesson I had with him. Since then I’ve told him he’s made me feel awkward and extremely uncomfortable and I don’t wish to carry on the lessons.

I have 2 children and one on the way. No way do I want to sit in a car who makes jokes about things like he does.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:24 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    It isn’t as simple as just “writing it down to experience” though.

That money is paid to him in return for lessons.
    I wouldn’t be getting the lessons.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    So write to him formally asking to be refunded otherwise you will start a small claims action.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:27 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    I did and he ignored me, I wrote to him yesterday.

This guy also said a pupil didn’t pay him his £25 for a lesson so he’s taking him to small claims court ��
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:29 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    So Iím not sure how seriously heís going to take this. Probs just thinks Iím having him on
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Oct 18, 1:30 PM
    • 17,765 Posts
    • 45,052 Thanks
    elsien
    Did you have any sort of written contract with him at all, or did you just hand over the money?
    Is he independent or affiliated to one of the driving school companies?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    So Iím not sure how seriously heís going to take this. Probs just thinks Iím having him on
    So call his bluff and start a small claims action then.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Oct 18, 1:34 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    Car 54
    There is no legal requirement about driving after a c section, unless you are insured (i.e. passed test and licensed). Recommendations are 6 weeks, but if you google some have driven 1-2 weeks after.
    Originally posted by tonyh66

I'm not sure how insurance is relevant, but in any event you don't need to have passed your test to be insured.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:34 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    Did you have any sort of written contract with him at all, or did you just hand over the money?
    Is he independent or affiliated to one of the driving school companies?
    Originally posted by elsien
    Heís independent
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Oct 18, 1:35 PM
    • 17,765 Posts
    • 45,052 Thanks
    elsien
    And the contract?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:42 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    And the contract?
    The only thing I had to sign was to say that if you wanted to cancel you had to cancel with over 24hr notice or he would keep the lesson payment/charge you
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Oct 18, 1:48 PM
    • 17,765 Posts
    • 45,052 Thanks
    elsien
    Is he signed up to the code of practice? He may not be as its voluntary, but if he is that should give you some comeback.
    I strongly suspect that he won't be though.

• AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:55 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    Is he signed up to the code of practice? He may not be as its voluntary, but if he is that should give you some comeback.
    I strongly suspect that he won't be though.
    I have absolutely no idea as I am not sure what that is.
    All I know is heís a fully qualified grade A instructor apparently and obviously checked he had his green badge
    • gpc273
    • By gpc273 13th Oct 18, 2:07 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    gpc273
    If he has been making inappropriate comments or his behaviour is not professional then you can report him to the DVSA ADI Registrar.
    The Registrar is responsible for all ADI's. this link will give you more info but they will not get involved in any monetary matters, that is purely down to you and the instructor.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/whats-involved-in-being-a-driving-instructor/approved-driving-instructor-adi-register-guide
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Oct 18, 2:11 PM
    • 17,765 Posts
    • 45,052 Thanks
    elsien
    If he has been making inappropriate comments or his behaviour is not professional then you can report him to the DVSA ADI Registrar.
    The Registrar is responsible for all ADI's. this link will give you more info but they will not get involved in any monetary matters, that is purely down to you and the instructor.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/whats-involved-in-being-a-driving-instructor/approved-driving-instructor-adi-register-guide
    Originally posted by gpc273
    The blurb says that as a member he should have provided terms and conditions with regards to refunds at the start. Would that not give some leeway to apply pressure, along with the comments?

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Oct 18, 2:21 PM
    • 17,976 Posts
    • 11,001 Thanks
    motorguy
    Iím going to leave this now.
    Iíve seen this forum as helpful usually but it seems like making digs about killing himself/his pupil. Making people feel uncomfortable and joking about having sex with an underage school girl is appropriate.

Iíll seek advice elsewhere.
    But you're not seeking advice - you're seeking someone to agree with you. Two different things.

You're not entitled to a refund. Its not his fault you're pregnant and if you have an issue with the way hes now talking to you then pull him up on it - tell him you find it distracting when you're trying to drive and inappropriate.

You are NOT entitled to a refund.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Oct 18, 2:23 PM
    • 17,976 Posts
    • 11,001 Thanks
    motorguy
    I didn’t say you was condoning it.
    What I’m saying is how can you not see this makes me feel uncomfortable and agree I should just spend another 6 hours with this man?

I paid for 20 lessons, he was brill, I paid for 10 more and by the 1st/2nd lesson of those 10 he started being funny, I continued to do two more lessons and he almost reduced me to tears in the last lesson I had with him. Since then I’ve told him he’s made me feel awkward and extremely uncomfortable and I don’t wish to carry on the lessons.

I have 2 children and one on the way. No way do I want to sit in a car who makes jokes about things like he does.
    So tell him this. Tell him you find it distracting and inappropriate and you would prefer it if chat was kept relevant during lessons.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Oct 18, 3:07 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    Car 54
    The blurb says that as a member he should have provided terms and conditions with regards to refunds at the start. Would that not give some leeway to apply pressure, along with the comments?
    AFAIK that is part of the voluntary code of practice.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Oct 18, 3:08 PM
    • 17,765 Posts
    • 45,052 Thanks
    elsien
    I know, but if he's signed up to the voluntary code then presumably he thought it was a good idea and would wish to continue with it?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,040Posts Today

9,279Users online

Martin's Twitter