Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    Driving Instructor Refusing Refund
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    Driving Instructor Refusing Refund 13th Oct 18 at 11:17 AM
    Hi,

Iím not sure if this is the right place to post but I am hoping somebody could help me.

Basically, myself and my partner was learning to drive. The instructor said that we would need around 30 lessons each and we paid in full for convenience (bank transfer). He began cancelling lessons last minute and one text I got just said ďcanít do today, got other plansĒ even though two days before he told me that heíd pick me up at 11:30...

My partner ended up passing and Iím having a c-section in 31 days and heís made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Iíve got 6 lessons left and to be totally honest, I donít want to learn with him anymore. Iíd only ever done a parallel park 3 times. When I went to do it I was too far away from the curb and he pretended to shoot himself in the head.

Heíd tell me I was doing things wrong but then next lesson when I did them how he told me previously, heíd tell me Iím still doing them wrong and basically change his mind constantly on what was right and wrong.

He told me he was going to jump of a bridge after the lesson because I make him suicidle (although this will have been a joke, with a partner who suffers depression I didnít find it funny.)

There was an alcoholic with a pram crossing the road and I was being weary of them because I didnít know if would step out infront of the car (he wasnít meant to cross) and the instructor joked and obviously didnít mean it ďjust hit him.Ē I said no thatís disgusting. He said well itís one waste of space out the world. I said but his son has done nothing wrong and his reply was ďwell he will turn out like his parents.Ē And it made me feel really uncomfortable.

He said to my partner ďtreat a curb like an underage school girl. You can brush past it but your not allowed to mount it.Ē

Basically things kept being said and at one point I snapped and said I couldnít cope with how he was making me feel. Even when I did things right he would try and tell me I did it wrong. My last lesson I had with him he told me I did a bay park wrong. Slammed open his door and then realised I was in perfect but the car behind me and to the side was actually pulled too far forwards and had to eat his words.

Anyway. I told him I didnít feel comfortable with him anymore and requested a refund. I canít even give the lessons to my partner because heís already passed. Now for 10 lessons itís £225 (should be £250)

So I said I donít mind you obviously keeping the lesson that would have been free and just refunding the five but itís a lot to loose out on and I donít want to stress myself out being in a car with someone I donít feel comfortable with.

He replied ďsorry, I donít refund block bookings. Iíll hold your lessons till Christmas though.Ē

Knowing that I wonít even be able to drive at Christmas as Iíll have had a c-section 3/4 weeks prior...

Sorry for the ramble I just wanted to explain as much as I could. I just wondered if Iím entitled to my money back or can he get away with keeping it.
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 13th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    • 9,746 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    missile
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    You made a contract and paid in advance. I don't think you have any grounds for demanding a refund. Your only hope would be he gives you some money back.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    The thing is I paid in advance and he was all nice and chirpy.

It wasn’t until say lesson 21/22 he started being really rude. He’d make digs towards me, make inappropriate comments etc.

My partner ended up dreading the lessons in the end and luckily managed to pass first time. He’s completely taken away my passion for wanting to drive, he’s made me feel like a rubbish driver.

He was telling me about something he read in the news, where a driving instructor left a pupil when she stalled in the path of an oncoming train and her door got jammed.

I said “I’d like to avoid trains then!” To him and he said he’d 100% do the same thing and leave me/not try to help regardless of the fact I’m heavily pregnant.

He makes me feel so so uncomfortable.
    I just can’t bring myself to spend another 6 hours with him
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    The thing is I paid in advance and he was all nice and chirpy.

It wasnít until say lesson 21/22 he started being really rude. Heíd make digs towards me, make inappropriate comments etc.

My partner ended up dreading the lessons in the end and luckily managed to pass first time. Heís completely taken away my passion for wanting to drive, heís made me feel like a rubbish driver.

He was telling me about something he read in the news, where a driving instructor left a pupil when she stalled in the path of an oncoming train and her door got jammed.

I said ďIíd like to avoid trains then!Ē To him and he said heíd 100% do the same thing and leave me/not try to help regardless of the fact Iím heavily pregnant.

He makes me feel so so uncomfortable.
    I just canít bring myself to spend another 6 hours with him
    Originally posted by AmberJayneB93
    your going to have to write off the cost of those lessons then. Lesson here is never pay for that many driving lessons in advance, because you may find that you don't like the instructor after the first lesson, and you may be ready to sit the test after 10 lessons.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 11:53 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:53 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:53 AM
    The thing is
    I paid for 30 in advance for my partner and 20 for me
    I used my 20 and he said I needed 10 more

Partner used all of his, I ended up with 6 left.

I spend around 3 of those six lessons saying how uncomfortable I had felt and things had been great up until my 21st lesson Iíd say

So once he got the final £225.

I have proof of the £225 being sent individually as it was a bank transfer.

Like I said the first of those lessons (£225 ones) went brilliant. Then all of a sudden something changed in him and it was like he didnít care.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    So I had basically done all of my paid lessons,
    Paid for 10 more like he said I’d need,
    Did he first of 10 and felt uncomfortable, kept trying as I thought maybe it’s an off day. There is six remaining and he got no better and it got to the point I just can’t sit in a car with someone joking about killing them selves it’s sick
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 11:56 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:56 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:56 AM
    I forgot to mention above, OH had 30, I had 20 and I only bought 10 because he said Iíd need more.
    He originally thought 20 would be enough
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Oct 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:15 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:15 PM
    So I had basically done all of my paid lessons,
    Paid for 10 more like he said Iíd need,
    Did he first of 10 and felt uncomfortable, kept trying as I thought maybe itís an off day. There is six remaining and he got no better and it got to the point I just canít sit in a car with someone joking about killing them selves itís sick
    Did he hold a gun to your head when he advised you have 10 more? Are you saying he was absolutely perfect for the first 20? You say your boyfriend was dreading the lessons and yet you still sign up for 10 more?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Oct 18, 12:16 PM
    • 17,604 Posts
    • 10,672 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:16 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:16 PM
    I forgot to mention above, OH had 30, I had 20 and I only bought 10 because he said Iíd need more.
    He originally thought 20 would be enough
    I'm not sure what you're expecting here by giving us more and more information thats not relevant.

You block paid for lessons, you dont want to continue with them for various reasons therefore either

(a) hope he will refund / part refund you - he seems to not be going to do either
    (b) Write it off to experience.

You arent entitled to a refund and you're not going to get anywhere legally pursuing it.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 12:19 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    My boyfriend was dreading the lessons yes but he’s only just passed.

I purchased the 10 more lessons before he’d passed, like I said, it was after I bought my final ten he went from a chirpy jokey guy to an absolute tool, he was being disgusting, blunt and rude. Making crude comments, talking about suicide like it was normal etc...

I signed up for 10 more when my partner was on his 20th lesson (we did lessons the same day one after the other or sometimes the same week so one Tuesday one Wednesday) and it was like when we both got into those final 10 of the 30, something clicked inside him where he thought it was acceptable to act the way he started.

Trust me if I’d have felt like this before then I’d have not given him any more money.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 12:20 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    Also as I mentioned above he’s told me he will only hold them till December knowing full well there is nothing I can do as I’ll have just had a baby then by c-section so it wouldn’t be legal for me to drive... he knew this before I even started learning with him it’s not news now as we was aiming for me to pass before my baby arrived
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 12:21 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    £150 (technically £125 if you take off the free lesson you gain for the block booking) is not something I can just chalk up to experience. I donít have money like that to waste unfortunately.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Oct 18, 12:34 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    My boyfriend was dreading the lessons yes but heís only just passed.
    Only recently passed or just barely passed?

...he knew this before I even started learning with him itís not news now as we was aiming for me to pass before my baby arrived
    You would have known before him so that's hardly down to him.

£150 (technically £125 if you take off the free lesson you gain for the block booking) is not something I can just chalk up to experience. I donít have money like that to waste unfortunately.
    Then complete the lessons and take your test.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Oct 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    tonyh66
    perhaps his girlfriend/wife dumped him? perhaps he was always a pig but toned it down when your partner was on the scene? It looks like you either put up with it or take him to small claims, but its unlikely you will win based on your reasons here.

There is no legal requirement about driving after a c section, unless you are insured (i.e. passed test and licensed). Recommendations are 6 weeks, but if you google some have driven 1-2 weeks after.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 13th Oct 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    loskie
    did you have a written contract re the block prchase? If not I think you will struggle to get a refund.
    regarding inappropriate comments, well that's not on. If he is an approved ADI speak to the approving body or franchise.
    You could also [post genuine feedback on his facebook page.

re a refund I think you will struggle.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Oct 18, 1:07 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Post #9 is the answer. Drip-feeding more information doesn't change anything.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:09 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    Only recently passed or just barely passed?

You would have known before him so that's hardly down to him.

Then complete the lessons and take your test.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

He passed with 0 faults...
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:14 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    I’m going to leave this now.
    I’ve seen this forum as helpful usually but it seems like making digs about killing himself/his pupil. Making people feel uncomfortable and joking about having sex with an underage school girl is appropriate.

I’ll seek advice elsewhere.
    • AmberJayneB93
    • By AmberJayneB93 13th Oct 18, 1:15 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AmberJayneB93
    did you have a written contract re the block prchase? If not I think you will struggle to get a refund.
    regarding inappropriate comments, well that's not on. If he is an approved ADI speak to the approving body or franchise.
    You could also [post genuine feedback on his facebook page.

re a refund I think you will struggle.
    Originally posted by loskie

I have got a text that says he thinks I need ten more,
    Iíve then got a screenshot I sent to him of the £225 bank transfer.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Oct 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Iím going to leave this now.
    Iíve seen this forum as helpful usually but it seems like making digs about killing himself/his pupil. Making people feel uncomfortable and joking about having sex with an underage school girl is appropriate.

Iíll seek advice elsewhere.
    Good grief, what a ridiculous response. No one is condoning inappropriate behaviour and now you are overreacting.

You have the answer you needed in post #9. What more do you want?

If he's done something criminal, report him. If you're determined to get your money back, start a small claims action.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,131Posts Today

6,786Users online

Martin's Twitter