Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NeemyC
    • By NeemyC 13th Oct 18, 11:01 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NeemyC
    0 WOW
    Concern about use of card at B&M Bargain
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:01 AM
    0 WOW
    Concern about use of card at B&M Bargain 13th Oct 18 at 11:01 AM
    Hi,
    I took my elderly mother to B&M Bargains to get a few things. She used her debit card to pay and put in her PIN number. After that the sales assistant pulled off a receipt which she asked my mother to sign and then put that away in a drawer. When I challenged her as to why she had needed my mumís pin AND signature she said it was needed because of her card.
    Not satisfied with the reply I asked to see a manager. When she came she told me that they do that sometimes with certain cards, eg if they are new cards. I said my mumís card was not new but I still didnít get a proper response and had no choice but to leave. However I am not happy at the explanation.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it standard practice to ask for pin and signature?
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Oct 18, 6:50 PM
    • 5,440 Posts
    • 6,060 Thanks
    societys child
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:50 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:50 PM
    What do you think they're going to do with the signature?

Your worrying too much.

• DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    • 32,769 Posts
    • 20,638 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    Hi,
    I took my elderly mother to B&M Bargains to get a few things. She used her debit card to pay and put in her PIN number. After that the sales assistant pulled off a receipt which she asked my mother to sign and then put that away in a drawer. When I challenged her as to why she had needed my mum’s pin AND signature she said it was needed because of her card.
    Not satisfied with the reply I asked to see a manager. When she came she told me that they do that sometimes with certain cards, eg if they are new cards. I said my mum’s card was not new but I still didn’t get a proper response and had no choice but to leave. However I am not happy at the explanation.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it standard practice to ask for pin and signature?
    Originally posted by NeemyC

Is the PIN stored on B&M's side, I think not.

Why they wanted a signature I cant answer but what do you think they are going to do with the signature ?

If the system asks for a signature then the customer has to sign and the receipt is printed for them to sign, I dont believe B&M can change this.
    • Lucyjoanne
    • By Lucyjoanne 14th Oct 18, 1:14 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Lucyjoanne
    • 14th Oct 18, 1:14 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 1:14 AM
    How old is your mum?

With some cards it can be put in place for security reasons. Incase the card gets stolen, or forgets her pin. They should check her signature against the one on the card.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 14th Oct 18, 9:01 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 14th Oct 18, 9:01 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 9:01 AM
    I would not be concerned about them asking for the signature, as it could be a security measure, but what would concern me is that a manager could not give a proper explanation as to why it was needed.
    • NeemyC
    • By NeemyC 14th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NeemyC
    • 14th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    Yes maybe I am worrying too much but my 80 year old mum has never been asked to do this before either at B&Ms or any other shop. Also in the past her bank statement shows purchases made from her account which she can’t remember making. So the two things have made me very cautious.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 14th Oct 18, 11:31 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 14th Oct 18, 11:31 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 11:31 AM
    Yes maybe I am worrying too much but my 80 year old mum has never been asked to do this before either at B&Ms or any other shop. Also in the past her bank statement shows purchases made from her account which she canít remember making. So the two things have made me very cautious.
    Originally posted by NeemyC
    If you have any concerns then ask her bank to replace her card. Persuade her to change her PIN. You could ask her bank about this signature business - never heard of it myself.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    • 64,687 Posts
    • 379,605 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 14th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    I always use a PIN. The ONLY time I have ever been asked to sign is when I've asked for cashback and they want my signature beside the cashback amount on the receipt.
    • NeemyC
    • By NeemyC 14th Oct 18, 12:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NeemyC
    • 14th Oct 18, 12:02 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 12:02 PM
    She did use a pin. But then they wanted her signature too.
    Yes I will ask her bank about this.
    Thanks all.
    • Woolco
    • By Woolco 15th Oct 18, 6:54 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Woolco
    This is known as a "fall back" - whilst she pay have put the PIN into the terminal, the bank, may have asked for her to sign instead. There is nothing to worry about. I worked in Victoria Wine and Thresher Wine Shop and this happened sometimes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,195Posts Today

9,354Users online

Martin's Twitter