Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 13th Oct 18, 10:53 AM
    • 4,729Posts
    • 5,302Thanks
    robatwork
    2 Items on Ebay - What's the scam here?
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:53 AM
    2 Items on Ebay - What's the scam here? 13th Oct 18 at 10:53 AM
    I have 2 items for sale. A reasonably new smartphone and an obscure computer part. The phone is on auction and the part is fixed price 30 day.

Someone made an offer on the part and it got auto-declined. They made a revised offer, but I didn't get notified. I saw it and emailled to ask them to bid again as I accepted it. They replied "Actually I am only interested in your phone, so would you do a quick sale ? Thanks".

The bid he put in is miles less than the phone will go for.

I don't get it. If I'd seen and accepted his bid on the part, he would have been obliged to buy it. Other than him just making a cockup, is there some angle here to trying to scam me?
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Oct 18, 1:43 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 4,529 Thanks
    martindow
    • 14th Oct 18, 1:43 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 1:43 PM
    I've no idea what is going on, but a lot of us block people at the first sign of weirdness.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Oct 18, 2:46 PM
    • 13,025 Posts
    • 8,824 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Oct 18, 2:46 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 2:46 PM
    Could the first (wrong) purchase give the buyer your email? If so, perhaps they would then send a scammy Paypal email to you for the second item....?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    • 28,200 Posts
    • 11,458 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    They want to offer you pennies for the phone but want to do it outside ebay?

Or as mentioned above, they buy your other device to harvest your details and you get fake payment received emails. But they appear genuine and have your name and address etc.
    So not a dear customer... or as my latest spammy emails have said dear costumer.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 15th Oct 18, 8:42 PM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 5,302 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 15th Oct 18, 8:42 PM
    • 15th Oct 18, 8:42 PM
    Well he didn't bid on the phone anyway....thanks for the opinions!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

3,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin