Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joyce K
    • By Joyce K 13th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Joyce K
    DIY Funeral
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    DIY Funeral 13th Oct 18 at 10:29 AM
    Do not know if anyone interested but funerals do not have to cost a fortune.
    My husband died this year. He did not want a traditional funeral. We talked about it a few years ago and both agreed we did not want to pay funeral directors masses of money, so this is how we said goodbye to him.
    Our children and I purchased a plot at Greenhaven Woodland Burial site in Rugby. The cost of the plot was 750 and the cost to dig grave and do paperwork 250. When the site is full it will be given over to a wild life trust so graves will never be disturbed.

(We were quoted 3500 to have the same sort of thing at a Cemetery in Coventry and only had plot for 75 years.)

We then got in touch with Morris Minor Funerals, really lovely people very helpful and upfront with costings etc.They also said that we could take our dog and they would look after her if we needed her to. We had the car from them (a Morris Minor Estate - classic car adapted to take a coffin. and their full support (as in they would do as much or as little as we required). We also got the coffin from them. They collected my husband from the hospital mortuary and "swaddled" him then they took him over to Greenhaven and met us there.We used our own cars. Their costs were 250 for the car and 300 for the coffin My children and I placed his coffin in the grave (Greenhaven supplied the straps to lower him.) We then spoke about him,played a couple of songs that meant a lot to us,read a poem from my daughter to him, placed flowers on the grave from our garden and said a peaceful goodbye to him, surrounded by trees,fields and wildlife. So you can say goodbye to your loved ones without paying extortionate prices to Funeral Directors. It was a very emotional day but was also so beautiful as only family and a few close friends were involved.
Page 1
    • lukewarn
    • By lukewarn 15th Oct 18, 11:33 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    lukewarn
    • 15th Oct 18, 11:33 AM
    • 15th Oct 18, 11:33 AM
    Lovely Joyce,thanks for that.

I thought I was doing okay when I paid 2,736 for my mother's funeral a few year's back but your 1,550 is very good value and like the personal touch.

Also,love the old Morris Traveller,great car.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 15th Oct 18, 11:51 AM
    • 5,467 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    pimento
    • 15th Oct 18, 11:51 AM
    • 15th Oct 18, 11:51 AM
    That sounds really nice (well, as nice as a funeral can be).
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • phoenix1837
    • By phoenix1837 16th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    phoenix1837
    • 16th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 16th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    I'm either going with a direct cremation or donating my body to science/education. The latter is free but the former is very cheap and as my son is an only child it means he won't have to worry about a service etc. The crematorium just call him to pick up the ashes.
    • izoomzoom
    • By izoomzoom 16th Oct 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 2,002 Thanks
    izoomzoom
    • 16th Oct 18, 1:38 PM
    • 16th Oct 18, 1:38 PM
    I'm either going with a direct cremation or donating my body to science/education. The latter is free.
    Originally posted by phoenix1837
    My Mom has done this. Registered with two Medical Schools.

However, one of the exemptions is that they wont accept thr body if patient died from dementia. Sadly, my Mom was diagnosed a few years ago.
    LBM Nov 08 CC debt 6450.

As at Jul 2010: 4280 (PO 2087, Barc 890, HSBC 1303)
    As at Jul 2011: 3180 (PO 300. Barc 2780)
    As at Dec 2012 4460 (PO 2600, Barc 1760, HSBC 100)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,023Posts Today

7,420Users online

Martin's Twitter