Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 13th Oct 18, 9:57 AM
    • 442Posts
    • 1,425Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    Re-insulating Loft
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:57 AM
    Re-insulating Loft 13th Oct 18 at 9:57 AM
    (Be gentle, my DIY skills are pretty much flat pack, polyfilla and tightening/loosening things.)

The loft space above my flat is poorly insulated--there's just patches of old brown, wooly insulation left.

I'm going to have it re-insulated, but I wanted to know if it's better to clear out the remains of the old brown stuff first. If it is, is there anything I need to be careful of? Is this a gloves and mask sort of job?

Also, if I wanted to board a small area of it for storage, do I put insulation under the boards?
Page 1
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Oct 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:39 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:39 AM
    you can lay the new stuff on top of the old stuff. if you are boarding you need to raise it on loft legs and yes you have insulation under the board.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 13th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    • 442 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    Thank you. I'd never even heard of loft legs.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 13th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 2,839 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    The loft space above my flat is poorly insulated

I'm going to have it re-insulated,

Is this a gloves and mask sort of job?
    Originally posted by Sunny Intervals
    It is a simple enough job to do yourself. Work out how many square metres of space you have and then order a stack of 150mm thick rolls. You'll get approximately 9m coverage from each roll, so divide the number of square metres of loft space by 9 and round it up to the nearest whole number - Then double it to give the number of rolls you'll need to order.

Get yourself a couple of pairs of disposable overalls and marigold type gloves. A little helper is also handy so that he/she can pass the rolls up to you in the loft. Take a few loft boards up there with you so that you have something to stand on whilst working.

The rolls will normally come partially cut to fit between standard spaced joists - Lay each roll so that it sits between the joists making sure that it goes right up to the walls under the eaves - A long broom handle and good lighting helps here. Once you have done between the joists. fit the loft legs in place (you could fit the legs before you start if you think it easier).

Roll out a second layer of insulation at 90 to the first layer and start fitting the loft boards over the legs.

Be careful of any wiring up there, and if there are any water pipes & header tanks, these will need insulating as well. You can get pipe lagging & tank jackets from the same suppler of the insulation. Don't push insulation under the tank(s) and try to get full coverage of sides & top of the tanks. The warmth coming up through the ceiling will prevent the water from freezing in the winter.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 13th Oct 18, 12:38 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:38 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:38 PM
    Sorry, another daft question: is there any reason not to put a jacket on an unvented/pressurised immersion cylinder? I'm not going to make it explode, am I?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 13th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 2,839 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    Insulating the hot water cylinder will not cause it to explode. Only last week, I added a second jacket to my cylinder. Still in one piece. No big boom.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 13th Oct 18, 1:52 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:52 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:52 PM
    Thank you, I worry about the stupidest s**t.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,080Posts Today

6,777Users online

Martin's Twitter