Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Sambi
    • By Sambi 13th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Water ingress under window - need advice please
    • #1
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    Water ingress under window - need advice please 13th Oct 18 at 8:55 AM
    Images are at (sorry I can't make that a link as a new user).

    I have a damp issue which I think is caused by water seeping into the wall through cracks in the window frame. When I moved in a month ago it was all dry, the dampness only appeared after the heavy rains recently. I am slightly puzzled why the dampness travelled across onto the green wall, I'm guessing it must have pooled at the bottom of the wall and soaked up? The green wall used to be a chimney stack, but I don't think there's water coming in from above, or the pattern would be different.

    I was thinking of re-sealing the bottom part of the frame with caulk, then drying out the wall to see if that fixes the problem. Longer term I might have to have the window repaired/replaced and the wall replastered, but I'm looking for a stop-gap solution for the moment.

    Is this a good idea? Do you have any extra suggestions? Thank you!
Page 1
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 13th Oct 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:13 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:13 AM
    If it was me I'd check around outside first to ensure there's no issues with water leaking from gutters or downpipes (that might be making it worse), scrape down, clean and re-seal the window frame, using an outdoor caulk, I'd also give it a coat of paint.

    For the damp on that green wall, if that is the fireplace and chimney behind it, then there should be a void, so if that damp is coming from outside then is it crossing both the exterior wall and the void behind the fireplace? I'd be wondering if you've have water coming down the chimney and either running down or pooling in that corner. Could you unscrew the vent cover and see inside, check for damp?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,418Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of?

  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice?

  • It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a?

  • Follow Martin