Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • notmy1sttime
    • By notmy1sttime 13th Oct 18, 9:39 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 79Thanks
    notmy1sttime
    Did it - debt free at last but watching the pennies
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:39 AM
    Did it - debt free at last but watching the pennies 13th Oct 18 at 9:39 AM
    Just posting to say I am finally debt free. I had a business asset I sold and used the money to pay off my debt, I made full and final offers on all my debts and most creditors accepted reduced lump sums in settlements, some as much as 78% below!
    At my worst, debt was around 25,000, I wasn't making any sort of payment for the last 2 years and prior to that, I had severe health issues which is in hindsight the cause of the debt.
    I have had sleepless nights, depression so bad I couldn't see a way out but I just want to say to everyone that if you are struggling, keep going as there will be a brighter day.
    I am now focusing on building my business, keeping an emergency fund for both myself and my business expenses, investing and never getting into bad debt again.
    I feel I need somewhere to keep me on track, so I will be posting to this diary to record progress.
    My top tips are:
    - do not ignore debts, they won't go away
    - talk to creditors - they are just humans doing a job at the end of the day
    - if you have mental health problems then please speak out and get help
Page 1
    • SnuggleBuggles
    • By SnuggleBuggles 13th Oct 18, 10:04 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    SnuggleBuggles
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:04 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:04 AM
    Congratulations! You can breathe easily again. The relief must be immense x
    • notmy1sttime
    • By notmy1sttime 14th Oct 18, 12:11 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    notmy1sttime
    • 14th Oct 18, 12:11 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 12:11 AM
    Yes, it feels good knowing in future all my money is mine. I will put a post on about my F&F's and also a post on my SOA. I am planning a day where I go through my bank statements and cancel what isn't needed, negotiate better deals etc as haven't done that for about a year.
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 14th Oct 18, 10:58 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    • 14th Oct 18, 10:58 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 10:58 AM
    Huge congratulations-you most feel amazing!!! Great achievement, what a great start you'll have to 2019 with no debt!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,463 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 14th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    Well done you
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

997Posts Today

7,473Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Today's twitter poll: Should the UK follow Canada and legalise cannabis for recreational purposes? Citizens there? https://t.co/W0wHo6mmm2

• Follow Martin