Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Uke
    • By Uke 13th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Uke
    Loans for cars
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    Loans for cars 13th Oct 18 at 9:09 AM
    My wife and I both suddenly need new cars (the old cars have been paid off for a while but need replacing).

HP and PCP interest seems far too much so I have been looking at a cheaper option. I wanted to try and get a 0% credit card but most dealers will not accept a credit card (even for part of the payment), so I have looked at loans.

I am worried that I won't get the advertised rates (which are currently about 2.9% rep APR), but am hoping that I because I have a good credit history that won't be a problem (fingers crossed).

I would like to know what is the best way to go about this for buying two cars? Lets say each car is 10,000 - am I best asking for a loan for 20,000 and try and pay it off over 3 years (about 600 a month?) or we both get separate loans for 10,000 each (and we both pay about 300 a month for 3 years)?

Maybe for 20,000 we might not have an option to pay it back within 3 years, might be longer so the interest might work out higher?

I know this is probably way more complicated than I understand it which is why I thought I better ask for help
    Last edited by Uke; 13-10-2018 at 9:18 AM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Oct 18, 9:28 AM
    • 19,057 Posts
    • 20,300 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:28 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:28 AM
    If depends on your circumstances - especially both credit history and income.

Can either of you support a 20k loan? Or even a 10k one?

Have you tried an eligibility checker?
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 13th Oct 18, 10:44 AM
    • 6,020 Posts
    • 11,637 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:44 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:44 AM
    Look in to leasing as an option too, maybe it would work out cheaper overall, especially if you like to upgrade cars every few years.
    Choose life
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 13th Oct 18, 12:31 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:31 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:31 PM
    Car dealer not accepting credit card...im looking at buying a run around and whilst its cheaper than your budget (im looking at 4-6K) all dealers ive looked at take credit card.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 32,760 Posts
    • 20,633 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    You say you suddenly need new cars like it's crept up on you, if it were me I would have been planning for the point they need changing by saving X amount per month.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 13th Oct 18, 1:48 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:48 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:48 PM
    My wife and I both suddenly need new cars (the old cars have been paid off for a while but need replacing).

HP and PCP interest seems far too much so I have been looking at a cheaper option. I wanted to try and get a 0% credit card but most dealers will not accept a credit card (even for part of the payment), so I have looked at loans.

I am worried that I won't get the advertised rates (which are currently about 2.9% rep APR), but am hoping that I because I have a good credit history that won't be a problem (fingers crossed).

I would like to know what is the best way to go about this for buying two cars? Lets say each car is 10,000 - am I best asking for a loan for 20,000 and try and pay it off over 3 years (about 600 a month?) or we both get separate loans for 10,000 each (and we both pay about 300 a month for 3 years)?

Maybe for 20,000 we might not have an option to pay it back within 3 years, might be longer so the interest might work out higher?

I know this is probably way more complicated than I understand it which is why I thought I better ask for help
    Originally posted by Uke

from an mse point of view whats wrong with the old cars surely they dont need 10,000 spending on them do they to get them working again

personally if i was you i would look at ways to keep the cars going even a low mileage engine is cheaper to buy and fit than buying new, im not trying to put you off but going into debt for cars that lose they value very quick is not worth it
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are

Rat Race
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 13th Oct 18, 1:49 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:49 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:49 PM
    Headline rates are given to 51% of applicants. Do you bank with any that are offering the rates? Most times you can overpay loans without penalty (i.e. pay a 4 year loan off in 3 years by paying higher) but check first
    • Uke
    • By Uke 14th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Uke
    • 14th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    To answer a few things

* Yes, I wanted to save for a new car for a while so that it did not cost interest, but because of circumstances in our lives the past few years that was not possible, will aim to do it next time as I hate paying unnecessary interest!
    * The two cars we are swapping are 10 years old and keep developing faults, so it is time to change them! Plan is to buy 2nd hand, pay them off asap and then keep them as long as possible.

* The dealer is fow (fords of winsford), who so far have been good to us, but I asked two different people and they don't take credit card at all though I just realised I might have been able to pay the deposit on credit card (doh!)

I have had an interesting afternoon learning about loans, hopefully it will help someone else.

Mostly, you won't get the loan rate you are shown, its possible, but there a lot of factors against you.

We applied for the cheapest rate and it would have taken a few days to get the paperwork through and then a few business days more to send it back and even then it might not be at the desired rate... not good when you want a loan sorted in a week!

We tried a few other places, one of them was a bank I do use - but only to save money into (not where my wages go), they were very helpful but they did say to me I would not be getting 3.3% but would probably get 5.9% as they don't have enough of a history of my spending.

So my wife tried a bank we both have an account in where her wages go, they offered an extremely high rate to her despite her wages going in and always having money at the end of the month. Just to be sure, I tried the same bank (my wages go into it as well) and I was offered the lowest rate they did! The only thing we can think of is that I have more activity on my account and I have a credit card with them. It took less than 5 minutes to get approval for the loan and the money in my account. It is a bit crazy though that my wife was offered such a high amount!

So... you might have a better chance to get a good rate if the lender has a good history with you and you have a credit card that you always pay off. And it is possible to get a loan approved straight away and not wait for paperwork to be sent through the post.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 15th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 15th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    • 15th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    The two cars we are swapping are 10 years old and keep developing faults, so it is time to change them! Plan is to buy 2nd hand, pay them off asap and then keep them as long as possible.
    This comes up time and again across the boards on here. Spending thousands to save a few hundred in repairs is ludicrous and 10 year old cars are (or should be) nowhere near the end of their useful lives (if well looked after).

What happens when you buy these second hand cars and they "develop faults"? Do you just keep borrowing more and more to replace them? All cars are susceptible to faults, new and old

If you want new cars rather than needing them just say that, don't try dressing it up as some sort of money saving exercise.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 15th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    • 30,270 Posts
    • 18,176 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I have had an interesting afternoon learning about loans, hopefully it will help someone else.

Mostly, you won't get the loan rate you are shown...
    Originally posted by Uke
    Incorrect. "Mostly" you will. That's because at least 51% of successful applicants will receive the representative rate. The other (max) 49% of successful applicants will get a different rate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,798Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter