Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 13th Oct 18, 8:03 AM
    • 159Posts
    • 34Thanks
    MSaxp
    Damaged railings
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:03 AM
    Damaged railings 13th Oct 18 at 8:03 AM
    Hi,

A few days back, an articulated lorry drove over the pavement and mangled our fence. The fence is made up of standard estate railings. While I have the vehicle registration and I did inform the police, its unlikely anything will come that way, so I'm trying to assess whether the cost is worth claiming through our building insurance.

The damaged part is about 2 panels, let's say 3m long. I assume the difficult part is that you probably need to remove the concrete base and use new concrete for the replaced sections. I assume such railings can't be repaired.

I am looking for a rough estimate of cost. Are we talking 300 or 1000?

Also what kind of tradesman am I looking for? A builder? A fencing company?

Thank you

Mike
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Oct 18, 11:18 AM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 3,280 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:18 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:18 AM
    Contact the vehicle owner's insurers and let them deal with it. Otherwise you'll be paying the excess on your own insurance and have a claim on your record.
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 13th Oct 18, 11:22 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:22 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:22 AM
    The driver didn't stop, so I have no details. I have his company name and registration, but it's not a UK one. Reported to police and contacted the company but I don't expect them to offer to compensate me
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Oct 18, 11:25 AM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 3,280 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:25 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:25 AM
    Perhaps ask your home insurer to pursue it on your behalf then. Do you have legal cover?
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 15th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    • 15th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    • 15th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    Checked the insurance schedule and no, i dont have legal cover on my home insurance (something to consider for my renewal i guess).

So still looking for someone to come and replace the panels. I think this is called estate railings, but i have absolutely no clue how much it might cost
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Oct 18, 11:07 AM
    • 8,941 Posts
    • 10,355 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 15th Oct 18, 11:07 AM
    • 15th Oct 18, 11:07 AM
    If you mean this sort of railings

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/product/sc_079800/estate-panel-tubular-2m-wide-x-1.215m-high-o/length-legsgalvanized

about 80 a metre.

Traditional railings were fixed into the base using lead, which can be melted out.

Your railings might be repairable by a competent welder/fabricator.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 15th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    • 15th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    • 15th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    mine are in a 'newly' built estate and the builders have put them on hundreds of houses, so i would expect them to be the cheapest money can buy. 80/metre * 4m = 320 without installation, which is beginning to feel steep. Not that i have any benchmark though.

Here is a photo , hope it works

https://imgur.com/a/qA1zLeY
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    • 8,941 Posts
    • 10,355 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 15th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    • 15th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    They're not damaged, just a bit bent. Bend them back the other way and grow some plants over them like the people across the road have.
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 15th Oct 18, 1:28 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    • 15th Oct 18, 1:28 PM
    • 15th Oct 18, 1:28 PM
    how do i bend them back? I certainly cant push them. a big mallet?

the plants across the road are beech which i chopped off a few months back, as i hate the brown colour they turn into
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 15th Oct 18, 5:45 PM
    • 8,941 Posts
    • 10,355 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Long piece of wood as a lever? You'd need to bend it, not hit it.

Plastic ivy?
    • spo2
    • By spo2 16th Oct 18, 10:46 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    spo2
    The buildings and contents insurance may not cover it. I know that when we had problems in our garden that we were told that if it doesn't affect the structure of the house or the contents inside, that we were not covered
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 19th Oct 18, 11:19 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    Thank you all. Was quoted 600 to replace them, which i think i will pass on.

will try the lever / mallet approach , maybe even plant some privet
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 19th Oct 18, 12:56 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    pmartin86
    Looking at that photo it's clear that the word "mangled" is VERY subjective...

Is there something that specifies you must keep the fence? Id be tempted to get rid of it completly as personaly i think it looks rather ugly, maybe replace with a nice hedge as previously mentioned.
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 19th Oct 18, 2:28 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    I agree, it looks pretty ugly anyway. I dont know why the developers put them there really, the whole estate has them. Maybe to deter people from parking? Who knows.

Will think about taking a few panels out, obviously it might look odd, given the rest of the front patch has it.

Hedge is definitely a good idea as well. This is a bit of a longer story as we had a beech hedge that we chopped off. Didnt like the brown leaves for half of the year. Although now we have the issue of about 60 stumps that need taken out. Presumably before anything else can be planted
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 19th Oct 18, 3:00 PM
    • 13,016 Posts
    • 8,823 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Hedge is definitely a good idea as well. This is a bit of a longer story as we had a beech hedge that we chopped off. Didnt like the brown leaves for half of the year. Although now we have the issue of about 60 stumps that need taken out. Presumably before anything else can be planted
    Originally posted by MSaxp
    You need to go for an evergreen if you don't like the deciduous types like Beech.

Head over to the gardening board - I think it's called Green Fingered MSEing - I would recommend something like Elaeagnus Ebbingei - without knowing where you are - it's a soft but pretty hedge plant which is easy to look after and isn't ferocious in it's growth.
    • MSaxp
    • By MSaxp 19th Oct 18, 3:28 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    MSaxp
    thank you. i am in the South west. I assume it will grow ok, as long as it doesnt mind clay soil.

I guess i have missed my chance for this year, will keep it in mind for the spring. And I need to get rid of the beech stumps. they are a pain to dig out
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 18, 10:22 AM
    • 13,016 Posts
    • 8,823 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I used Traditional Estate Fencing .co.uk to fix my fence, they had fencing panels from 14 a metre, I was going to use their installation service but noticed they also sold the panels for self install, I had a friend install them for me as it was fairly straight forward for him! hope it helps.
    Originally posted by kingo2k2
    I bet you did. Reported
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,227Posts Today

4,398Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin