Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 13th Oct 18, 8:02 AM
    • 427Posts
    • 777Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    Challenging letting agent renewal fees
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:02 AM
    Challenging letting agent renewal fees 13th Oct 18 at 8:02 AM
    My letting agent are wanting to charge us 84 to renew our contract. The contract actually states this should be 78 so I am firstly going to challenge that.

However, we are looking to buy a house within the next 6 months and I am loathe to pay 78 for a piece of paper with different dates on it which locks us in. When we signed for the contract (the day is started in the agents office) I enquired about going periodic after the initial 6 months and was told that the landlord doesn't want that and we'll be told to leave. I wasn't happy with this but circumstances meant either sign the paper or be homeless so signed it.

Now, I want to make this periodic, I believe if I explain the circumstances to landlord he may be reasonable, we've met him when he came to check the boiler and was polite and nice, even knocked on the door each time to come in during the visit even though we knew he was there to fix something and could have come in.
    Also, as soon as we moved in 2 rentals identical to mine went up for rent at lower prices, I only pay 450 so 50 is a lot of money at this level and I doubt the landlord would want to lose that per month to match the last house rented in the street.

This house also isn't as nice as the 400per month one, no shed, tiny yard, no white good came with it and I swear the oven is older than I am! So doubt they'll get the same rent as I'm paying again.

As I know seasoned landlords frequent the boards, is this a risky plan of mine? Would you give a tenant their notice and risk a void and 50 a month less in rent just to have that piece of paper that guarantees 6 months?
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 13th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 9,846 Posts
    • 13,358 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    Simply don't renew, continue as periodic. Job done.

Any sensible landlord would not evict for this. Indeed I prefer tenancies to continue as periodic (more flexibility for me, more incentive for tenant to comply with contract). But sadly being sensible is not a requirement to be a landlord: Or.....
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 13th Oct 18, 8:43 AM
    • 16,023 Posts
    • 22,031 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:43 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:43 AM
    Just ignore the letting agent and you will automatically go into a periodic contract.

You are under no obligation to sign another contract.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • fishpond
    • By fishpond 13th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    • 956 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    fishpond
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    As has been posted above, but also speak to the 'll so he is aware of your reason for not resigning.
    I am a LandLord, so there!
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Oct 18, 9:54 AM
    • 6,549 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:54 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:54 AM
    Just ignore them. The chances of them evicting you are extremely slim, and even if they did it would take months.
    The landlord probably doesn't even care, it's usually the rental agents who want you to sign again, they usually charge fees to the tenant and the landlord for a renewal. It's a complete scam
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    • 5,059 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    Just ignore them. The chances of them evicting you are extremely slim, and even if they did it would take months.
    The landlord probably doesn't even care, it's usually the rental agents who want you to sign again, they usually charge fees to the tenant and the landlord for a renewal. It's a complete scam
    Originally posted by stator
    Wish I knew this 10 years ago, paid 110 for a renewal once, never again.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • Smi1er
    • By Smi1er 13th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    Smi1er
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    ok, so the LL has two routes

1/ You say you're going periodic. You carry on paying rent. LL does nothing. In a nutshell you carry on paying rent but can leave with a months notice.

2/ You say you're going periodic. LL starts eviction process on LA's advice. Section 21 costs money to serve. You ignore the notice so LL on LA's advice has to go to court to get eviction notice. You still ignore. LL on LA's advice instructs bailiffs. All this takes 6 months and more money. In a nutshell the LL has a lot of additional expense whilst also running the risk you will stop paying rent.

Which course of action do you think the LL will take considering it's a business? I'd be tempted to write a letter to LA, CCing the LL telling them you're going periodic
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    • 45,578 Posts
    • 54,815 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    As above.

And read:
    * Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 14th Oct 18, 7:00 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Craig1981
    • 14th Oct 18, 7:00 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 7:00 AM
    good advice above, but, you need to know a bit about your Landlord... mainly if he ever intends to sell the property one day or not.
    We once signed a 12 month tenancy, and never renewed at all, and lived there for a further 4 years before we decided to move on... not one rent increase in the 5 years either.
    if you unsure about the landlord, maybe the 84 for "piece of mind" and small bit of security is worth the money?
    • MeepleH
    • By MeepleH 14th Oct 18, 8:17 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MeepleH
    I'd ask for a breakclause in the next 6 month contract and sign again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

8,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin