Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jessicarat
    • By Jessicarat 13th Oct 18, 8:00 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Jessicarat
    Disabled space/scotland
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:00 AM
    Disabled space/scotland 13th Oct 18 at 8:00 AM
    Hi, I took my 84yr old neighbour shopping at Asda yesterday and parked in a disabled space. She has a blue parking permit but we forgot to display it. Got out to discover a yellow sticker on the windscreen with a demand for £40 if paid within a fortnight. Couldnít see anyone around but if they had been observing they would clearly have seen that she is disabled as she walks with a stick. Iíve browsed the forum and tried to find answers to my problem and this is my understanding so far. As Iím in scotland I think I can ignore the Ďfineí or I can speak to the store manager to try to have it cancelled? My concern is if I do the second option then Iíll have to admit to driving the vehicle which I thought perhaps I shouldnít give my name? Any help or thoughts please would be much appreciated.
Page 2
    • Jessicarat
    • By Jessicarat 13th Oct 18, 4:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jessicarat
    Will do pogo fish ....thank you for advice!
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 13th Oct 18, 4:59 PM
    • 38,020 Posts
    • 85,359 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    As above, see a store manager not customer services.

You should still edit your first post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people.

When you see the store manager you truthfully say you were an occupant of the car, and another occupant is disabled.

Remind him/her that other stores are available.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 13th Oct 18, 5:10 PM
    • 10,695 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    Scaremongering nonsense. I'm sure the OP isn't going to rack up tens of thousands of pounds worth of tickets or more importantly disclose who was driving.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    When I look at your previous post, that is just the cavalier rubbish I was talking about.
    So the advice is to ignore, file the correspondence away for reference in the unlikely event they try court (they've got 5 years in Scotland).
    It's not your risk or money and to highlight that it's not a "follow the Ostrich and ignore ' cos they can't do anything" is NOT a 100% guarantee in Scotland. I agree that it is not usual for PPCs to bother with court in Scotland but this is Parking Eye who are probably the most litigious of PPCs.

The OP did the correct thing, by engaging with the store as per Beamerguy's suggestion.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Oct 18, 5:39 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 4,934 Thanks
    Johno100
    When I look at your previous post, that is just the cavalier rubbish I was talking about.
    Originally posted by Guys Dad
    Well if I'm being cavalier (which I'm not) then so is the Sticky.

Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

A - IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NI, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, BUT DO NOT APPEAL, UNLESS YOUR CAR IS A COMPANY/HIRE/LEASED VEHICLE, IN WHICH CASE, APPEAL AS HIRER/LESSEE (SEE * AT THE FOOT OF THIS POST).

IN SCOTLAND/NI, CERTAINLY COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILERS, BUT IGNORE THE PARKING FIRM UNLESS YOU GET A CLAIM.

IN SCOTLAND THIS IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND DEFENDABLE BY A KEEPER, WHO CURRENTLY HAS A FAR MORE PROTECTED POSITION IN LAW THAN AN ADMITTED DRIVER.

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY, FOR 5 YEARS
    It's not your risk or money and to highlight that it's not a "follow the Ostrich and ignore ' cos they can't do anything" is NOT a 100% guarantee in Scotland. I agree that it is not usual for PPCs to bother with court in Scotland but this is Parking Eye who are probably the most litigious of PPCs.
    So appeal to PE? Chances of that being successful? Then what with no POPLA? All the time risking outing themselves as the driver.

They might be the most litigious in England and Wales but have you seen any cases on here where they have tried court in Scotland (apart from the odd case where they were evidently geographically challenged)?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Oct 18, 5:50 PM
    • 20,598 Posts
    • 32,513 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I find it a bit strange that PE, which is an almost 100% ANPR parking firm, has boots on the ground at a random Asda store in Scotland. I know there has been one at IKEA Giltbrook Nottingham which we've dealt with a few times, but it is quite unusual to have one crop up like this.

@OP - you might want to query with the Asda manager whether this was a PE employee or an Asda trolley collector with a 'snap and trap' smartphone camera.

In terms of speaking with the manager to get this cancelled, you might take in a copy of the Blue Badge, which will hopefully be enough to tip him/her to cancel.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 13-10-2018 at 5:53 PM.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Oct 18, 7:34 PM
    • 9,200 Posts
    • 9,596 Thanks
    pogofish
    but this is Parking Eye who are probably the most litigious of PPCs.
    Except in Scotland where PE hardly ever do court - and where the driver hasn't identified themselves, I don't think we have ever seen any instance of them progressing beyond debt collector letters.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    waamo

The OP did the correct thing, by engaging with the store as per Beamerguy's suggestion.
    PE used to be very litigious but have calmed down significantly over the past few years.
    This space for hire.
    • Jessicarat
    • By Jessicarat 15th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jessicarat
    Just an update! Called in to Asda today and the manager was willing to get this parking fine cancelled for me when I explained the circumstances. Iím grateful to everyone for all the helpful posts. Beamerguy and Fruitcake, great suggestions to edit my post but I didnít know how. (New to forum) Umkomaas, youíre right about it being a random store in Scotland, Parking Eye operating not in a big city but a rural location in the north!
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 15th Oct 18, 6:53 PM
    • 38,020 Posts
    • 85,359 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Just an update! Called in to Asda today and the manager was willing to get this parking fine cancelled for me when I explained the circumstances. Iím grateful to everyone for all the helpful posts. Beamerguy and Fruitcake, great suggestions to edit my post but I didnít know how. (New to forum) Umkomaas, youíre right about it being a random store in Scotland, Parking Eye operating not in a big city but a rural location in the north!
    Originally posted by Jessicarat
    That's good news, but just remember it isn't cancelled until parking lie say it's cancelled.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Oct 18, 7:01 PM
    • 10,695 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    Originally posted by Jessicarat
    Yes, contacting the retailer was the right way to go. Better than just filing the communication and relying on the fact that you are 100% safe in Scotland ignoring the tickets.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Oct 18, 7:20 PM
    • 5,688 Posts
    • 5,578 Thanks
    DoaM

The problem wasn't your fundamental suggestion - it was the case you linked to try and reinforce your point.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Oct 18, 7:26 PM
    • 10,695 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    The problem wasn't your fundamental suggestion - it was the case you linked to try and reinforce your point.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    To be honest, it was one I had bookmarked and I will concede it was an extreme example. But I did want OP to contact the store and not just do what was suggested here. A lot of people get stressed with lots of Debt Collector threatening letters, so best to get it killed off.

So the advice is to ignore, file the correspondence away for reference in the unlikely event they try court (they've got 5 years in Scotland).
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 15th Oct 18, 7:30 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 4,934 Thanks
    Johno100
    Yes, contacting the retailer was the right way to go. Better than just filing the communication and relying on the fact that you are 100% safe in Scotland ignoring the tickets.
    Don't think anybody suggested contacting the retailer was the wrong thing to do. Contacting PE on the other hand...

Anyway of course the OP isn't out of the woods until they get a confirmation of cancellation from PE.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 10,695 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    Don't think anybody suggested contacting the retailer was the wrong thing to do. Contacting PE on the other hand...

Anyway of course the OP isn't out of the woods until they get a confirmation of cancellation from PE.
    I agree. Not over till fat PPC sings.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Oct 18, 9:48 PM
    • 20,598 Posts
    • 32,513 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Despite their other failings, PE are pretty efficient at sending written confirmation of cancellation. Usually in 7-10 days.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,085Posts Today

7,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin