Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 13th Oct 18, 6:29 AM
    • 3,250Posts
    • 45,200Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 13th October 2018
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:29 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 13th October 2018 13th Oct 18 at 6:29 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 13th October 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH enjoying peaceful cuppa, I've showered, dressed and just finished brekkie as I'm working this morning.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potatoes, beans/veg for the menfolk. I had stir fry veg and fish. Today we'll be having a marinated pork loin joint and roasted chicken portions, salad, french fries, I'll make some potato salad to go with it.

Yesterday I was reasonably busy, I got the food shopping done and ironing, then did a couple of other jobs, managed to get a couple of loads of washing line dried although had to keep an eye out that it didn't blow away, blustery conditions have died down a bit. It's very mild here too.

DS1 went out last night and DH said he came in approx 2.30am - I doubt I'll see him before I go to work, so I'll see him later, he's going to watch the football this afternoon. DS2 will probably want a lift when I go to work as he'll go to the gym.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 13-10-2018 at 6:41 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Oct 18, 7:11 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 5,610 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:11 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:11 AM
    Good morning, and thanks for starting NMLC.
    Seems to be raining here, and not a good forecast. I got soaked last night on my way home from a friend's.

I haven't posted for a few days, because we've had two young grandchildren staying, so too busy/too tired!!

I'll read back over the last few days, hope everyone is as all right.

See you later, take care folks
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Oct 18, 7:21 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 8,992 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:21 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:21 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

Gentle hugs to all who want/ need them.

Especially thinking of the TA's and Holly

Not sure what we are doing today, have invited DS, DiL and Dgs to visit still waiting to hear if they are coming.

Need to dust and vacuum and do a quick tidy.

Hope you all have a good Saturday
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Oct 18, 7:54 AM
    • 12,720 Posts
    • 44,264 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:54 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:54 AM
    Good morning

Still pretty grim up here today although the wind seems to have dropped. Hope our friends in Wales are all safe ....nannywindow did you evacuate back to your under stairs cupboard

Finally got the heating sorted so I can now have my water on without the heat. I'm not ready to have the heating on yet I have quite enough of my own internal to need any external yet.

Enjoyed the wedding yesterday I do love a good nosey at all the gorgeous outfits and the kids were just so cute.

Usual Saturday plans today age uk call a wash or two and clean up then I'm out for dinner later with a friend.

Holly update she managed to call last night so we had a good chat. She's really been going through the mill I'm afraid as her drugs are reduced ready for the op. Having said that she has only praise for both the hospitals and the treatment she is getting which is such a relief. Her consultant has asked her to consider staying a bit longer than originally planned post op so they can really get a proper grip with her meds and therapy. She has tentatively agreed which I am so pleased about. It will still be voluntary and she is able to get out and people watch over coffee and cake which you will all know how much she loves. She made me laugh yesterday as her only moan is the town she is in doesn't have a Debenhams Marks or Waitrose however is she coping
    Next week is the big one for her though she has her breast op on Thursday so please send her lots of vibes for health I know she appreciates you all keeping her in your thoughts.

Have a great weekend if you can and special thoughts to TA
    • -taff
    • By -taff 13th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 8,916 Thanks
    -taff
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    Morning all.
    Nothing, absolutely nothing planned for today, weather is rubbish so no gardening on the horizon although I may watch the tree at the bottom of the garden to see if it falls over.
    A slow tidy up today I think, I think I have been overdoing it somewhat, it's just difficult for me to accept that and not want to go a hundred miles an hour.
    I may play with a bit of make up to re-draw my eyebrows...after the attempted loo unblock...and after I've read Witches Abroad....

Good news for Holly, sanatogen vibes to the unwell achey painies, hope the relatives in hospital perk up, thanks Jackie, the taste I get is like a badger took a sh*t in my mouth, it's absolutely disgusting, I yearn for a metallic taste Elona, will give that a go today. Hope everyone has a Saturday empty of bad news and surprises...
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    • 6,837 Posts
    • 45,226 Thanks
    Gers
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    Morning all.

It seems as if the worst of the forecasted weather has swerved around the peninsula and nissed us. Yesterday we had very blustery winds all day, one bout of heavy rain and then just a smattering of drizzle. Most odd though most welcome. Because of the heavy rain elsewhere the Rest hasn't reopened, neither has the Glen Croe relief road so the 60 mile diversion remains. There's always the ferry option but I'm not going anywhere.

Nelski - thanks so much for the latest update about Holly. Do pass on love and strength to her, especially for next week. Will her 'proper' meds be given to her after the op?

Yesterday I watched the wedding off and on. Can't bear all the TV stuff around it, hours of talking to who-knows-who. I thought the bride looked fabulous.

I've got some mince to cook up, am thinking some chilli and some bolognaise ragu. There's books to read and TV to catch up with.

Thoughts to all our poorlies and families.

Happy Saturday to all.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Oct 18, 8:42 AM
    • 12,720 Posts
    • 44,264 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:42 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:42 AM
    ]

Nelski - thanks so much for the latest update about Holly. Do pass on love and strength to her, especially for next week. Will her 'proper' meds be given to her after the op?

Yesterday I watched the wedding off and on. Can't bear all the TV stuff around it, hours of talking to who-knows-who. I thought the bride looked fabulous.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Hi Gers and yes that was the plan although her consultant is keen to review it all once she is stable post op and make sure she is getting the right drugs and doses before they allow her home. Its a great relief to be honest as since her experience earlier in the year she has never been right.

I think the decision to not use the ferry is a wise one although i know you scots are made of strong stuff

Agree about Eugenie a few tears shed here she looked beautiful
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 31,855 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the update on our Holly Nelski, I will keep everything crossed for her on Thursday and light a candle for her as well. It sounds as if she is being well cared for and itís good to hear that they are so anxious about getting her medication right. It always worries me when she posts so early in the morning
    Itís so mild here itís unnatural, still blustery but clear blue skies, hope everyone is keeping safe and wise not to get on that ferry Gers.
    We did go out for lunch yesterday and it was very good food but the best bit was a night off from cooking for me, we just had crumpets for supper ( no rude comments Hester ) oh and a glass of wine as well
    No real plans for today, will get over to see Lu of course and hope to have a little walk around the paddocks, still no hay from my man though and I didnít receive a reply to my text yesterday either. We are down to the last bale now and luckily the lovely yard owner says she can supplement us and just pay her back when he does deliver, just wish he would let me know!

Thoughts as always with the TAís get well wishes to all poorlies, take care folks x
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 13th Oct 18, 9:43 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 3,626 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:43 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:43 AM
    Good Morning, Oldstylers - dull and miserable start to the day in the Liverpool area . Strong-ish winds and thunder/lightning forecast for the entire day .......................... IF it's to be believed. We had quite a bit of wind yesterday, but certainly NOT the 'Hurricane' that was threatened - phew!

nmlc - thanks for starting today's thread - you were certainly a busy lady yesterday and your evening meal sounded . Enjoy your day .

Scarlett Ribbons - enjoy your first 'child-free day' today and make sure you get chance to recharge your batteries after your 'little cherubs' !

silver-oldie - have a lovely day with your DS, DiL and Dgk's .

Nelski - thanks for being our 'go-between' with Holly and keeping us informed of her progress - must be hard for her away from everything that is comforting/familiar at such a worrying time ............... lol at her complaints re no Debenhams/Waitrose/M&S . Sending prayers and ((((HUGS)))) for this week and Thursday. Great news about your Hot Water !

-taff - enjoy your day of 'busy doing nothing' ............... sometimes that does us the world of good . I also have a very tall tree (Yew) at the bottom of my garden which is, fortunately, very well-rooted, so no chance of it blowing down. To be honest, I don't particularly like it being there as that's the narrowest part of the garden and can't do a darn thing with it at that point. Nothing will grow there - the tree seems to drain every scrap of moisture out of the ground - PLUS there's a dirty great manhole cover there as well.

Gers - that's a relief that the worst of the winds seemed to miss you out - maybe the mountains deflected it elsewhere - and certainly wouldn't want to be on a ferry out of Oban just now .

LaineyT - hope you and Lu get sorted with a Hay Delivery soon and that you manage to have a little ride around the paddock, weather permitting of course . Crumpets for supper sounds idyllic .

Prayers and ((((HEALING HUGS)))) for everybody who needs them - especially TA's, Holly and all those who suffer silently .

Decided to only do one small load of laundry today - not good for drying outdoors today, so this lot will easily fit on the airer ...................... at least it's the 'dark stuff' out of the way. The 'lights' can wait till Monday as the forecast is quite good for then .

I rang the Charity Shop Co-ordinator last night with a view to getting back onto the Rota next week - so will be going in on Monday Afternoon for a few hours . I've really missed being in the shop, with all the other staff, so this is going to feel like a real step forward for me . I DID say that I'd call in today for a bit of a gossip chat, but that would depend on the weather ........................ forecast isn't good, but I'll see what actually happens before making a final decision on that one .

Yesterday, I received a 'long-awaited parcel' through the post. I've been a fan of a band called Runrig (Gers probably knows of them) for many years and they've recently retired . Many of the fans contributed stories etc for publishing into a book - me included - and we were told, last week, that they were being despatched. So excited to receive my copy AND to find that my own 'memory' has made it into the book unedited - TWO pages !

Home made Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges with Gluten Free Lincoln Pork Sausages and Mushrooms for evening meal tonight .

Just off for a shower now - second attempt in 16wks - and the first one wasn't very successful .................... I looked like a one-legged pole dancer hanging onto the handrails trying to keep my bad leg outside the range of the shower jet . If you hear some screams, will somebody PLEASE send for the Fire Brigade ......................... I won't be stuck - I just fancy being rescued by some Firemen !

Have a good day - Ollie xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Oct 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 32,189 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

Torrential rain and quite windy here. The bad weather that swerved your peninsula has found ours Gers. We're going to a friend's house later for a party. I made cakes for us to take with us yesterday so the only job to be done here today is the washing. It's definitely going in the dryer when it's done.... I made brownies for the HT too so he's happy. I seem to be on the mend from the almost everlasting cold. I can climb the stairs and still have enough breath left to speak when I reach the top.

Glad to hear that Speky's gran has had her op. I hope she recovers well. Thinking of the TAs and Holly too.

Taff, take it easy. If all else fails make yourself a "to do list" and make sure you have a 15 minute sit down after every 30 minutes of "doing".

Take care all of you
    Weight loss 2018 16.5 lbs

November GC £186.36/£200
    December GC £92.30/£250.00
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 13th Oct 18, 9:54 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 7,143 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Good morning, and happy weekend to everyone. I did write a post yesterday, but it didn't appear and I didn't have time to redo it.

It's wet and mild here, but looks like it will dry up in time for the Sunday stroll tomorrow. The water is over the banks of the local river so we'll walk one of our other routes.

I've defrosted some soup and some pork for a casserole. I've plenty of apples to put with it, and some rosemary. I've a couple of hems to sew for a friend, and laundry. So a nicely domestic day, and knitting later on.

Have yourself the best day possible, with hugs to the TAs, poppy, taff, Csarina and all who need an uplift. xxx
    • redruby
    • By redruby 13th Oct 18, 10:01 AM
    • 6,871 Posts
    • 96,215 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Very mild here too its quite strange !! although good for drying the washing, I have my work clothes in the wash and a towel load to go in after and then OH can put his work clothes in might get then dry on the line today, tomorrow is supposed to be rain all day.

Autoglass came and fitted my new windows on the car so all secure now, although he asked to to go over and check it and he led me to one side of the car and then asked for payment, I said I needed to check the other side, and when I went round I found he had put tinted glass in one window, I asked him about it and he said that he hadn't noticed it was tinted (really ??? ) and then tried to say that I had ordered it (yes right I am going to order tinted for one window only !!) so they are coming again Tuesday to fit a clear one !!

House is clean and tidy so only minimum housework to do I am going shopping later with dd and I think we are going for lunch there tomorrow

Glad the Holly news is positive and love and hugs to the TA's xx

Have good days all xx
    Last edited by redruby; 13-10-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Oct 18, 10:07 AM
    • 6,837 Posts
    • 45,226 Thanks
    Gers
    Ollie - I certainly know Runrig, I saw them live many times.

At one gig at Newcastle City Hall Donnie appeared next to me for part of Loch Lomond. We were upstairs, front of the balcony right at the aisle. Mind you I wasn't keen on the new singer when Donnie left, and I'm not keen on his solo stuff so I'm stuck in a time warp of around High.

Still, lovely to hear about your fame! Congratulations

Cranky - sorry!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 13th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 3,626 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Ollie - I certainly know Runrig, I saw them live many times.

At one gig at Newcastle City Hall Donnie appeared next to me for part of Loch Lomond. We were upstairs, front of the balcony right at the aisle. Mind you I wasn't keen on the new singer when Donnie left, and I'm not keen on his solo stuff so I'm stuck in a time warp of around High.

Still, lovely to hear about your fame! Congratulations

Cranky - sorry!
    Originally posted by Gers
    I'm sorry you didn't 'take' to Bruce when he joined. I only became a fan around 1997 (just before Donnie decided to leave), so was delighted that they were going to continue - I may not have felt like that if I'd been a fan for a long time. Donnie and his band did a brilliant set at the 'Last Dance Concert' in Stirling and have to say that Runrig did us all proud - not a dry eye in the arena . The sight of Malcolm sobbing behind his guitar kicked us all off again.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 13th Oct 18, 10:15 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    dp1
    Morning everyone
    Most miserable day here...its pouring. Done some ironing, cleaned bathrooms, dusted and hoovered....the rest of my morning will be quite lazy! Still don't feel 100% after sickness bug earlier in the week....I keep getting really sharp pains in my tummy and just feel a bit yucky!
    Hope you all have a bit better weather than us
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 13th Oct 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 22,770 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning everybody,

Very blustery here & a lot of water coming down the river in the bottom but I think thats from rain in the night because it's not actually rained that much yesterday or this morning.

Thanks Nelski for the update & would you pass on my best wishes to Holly for next week please.I'm glad she is being well looked after.

DGS other Grandads funeral went off very well yesterday,the family wanted it to be a celebration of his life.All 4 of his children & his granddaughter got up to speak about him ,it was very moving,and most of the grandchildren were there too,apart from the 2 youngest. DS ex thought he was too young,but he came afterwards.Its a bit strange being an 'ex' at a funeral but we all thought a lot of him and we were welcomed.DS got a bit emotional when members of the family he hadnt seen since the split came up and hugged him/shook hands & said it was good to see him. Fortunately he has a good relationship with his ex,and her husband.

The DGC are staying over tonight,and DH and I are just nipping into town before they get here, to Marks ( sorry Holly )

Ollie- I actually have a Runrig CD, I worked with a woman in the 90s who was a big fan.

HUGS to all in need xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Oct 18, 10:58 AM
    • 6,837 Posts
    • 45,226 Thanks
    Gers
    I'm sorry you didn't 'take' to Bruce when he joined. I only became a fan around 1997 (just before Donnie decided to leave), so was delighted that they were going to continue - I may not have felt like that if I'd been a fan for a long time. Donnie and his band did a brilliant set at the 'Last Dance Concert' in Stirling and have to say that Runrig did us all proud - not a dry eye in the arena . The sight of Malcolm sobbing behind his guitar kicked us all off again.
    Originally posted by Olliebeak1951
    It wasn't so much him, the sound changed. That was inevitable. They were a big part of my life, along with Hue & Cry and Blue Nile. Very happy memories of some very happy times.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Oct 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 24,434 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Nelski, so pleased that Holly's consultant is treating her with the consideration she deserves, especially after the rough time she had earlier this year. What happened to her was really disgraceful.

After saying I would not watch 'the wedding' OH put the TV on, so although I did not watch all of it, I did 'hear it'. I think she was very brave to show the scar on her back, most people would have covered it up.

We had a really wild windy day yesterday and the wind is continuing this morning. I am glad we called off our visit to my quilting friend, we are going tomorrow for lunch instead.

OH really is well enough to do without the support from his carers, he is able to do most things for himself now, just needs his aqueous cream putting on his back and legs. It looks like we will be finishing the carers at the end of the month.

I did have words with him yesterday, the arch in the garden has snapped, he wanted to go out and 'sort it out' harsh words were spoken and he decided that it was too windy!!gammon, eggs, tomato and fried bread for supper tonight. My friend nipped in yesterday with a victoria sponge her daughter had made for us.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 13th Oct 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello lovelies, nice weather for ducks here .
    The wind will not give up but the rain is trying to stop. We also have a precarious tree, good job the others are holding it up, for now. It's about 20ft high but thin so it can fall into the garden without any damage........ I hope !

I have run the hoover over the downstairs and chased the dust about this morning. I want to wash the kitchen floor after lunch, but I might get Mr Fix It to steam clean it as a penance. He lost the shed keys yesterday so we spent hours looking for them and the spares. We found them locked in the shed ! What idiot puts all the keys together, spares and all . So now he has to break in our own shed ! Apparently he needs me to help too, but if he thinks I'm climbing in through the window he has another think coming. I may be small but I ain't no mountain goat . Will have to wait until the bad weather subsides anyway.

Nelski my cupboard is for real emergencies . A bit of wind and rain pah !! Thanks for the Holly updates. I wish I had a RL friend like you
    Holly keep your chin up lovely, you seem to be doing a grand job. Many hugs coming your way my friend xx
    Ollie don't know how to tell you that the fire brigade were outside my house this morning. They were there for ages, don't ask me how I know , but there seems to be an impression of my nose on the window pane ( I think they were testing/fitting smoke alarms to over the road neighbour ) Hope you managed to take your shower in a more lady-like fashion
    RosyRed I'm glad the family got to give DGC other GD a good send off.
    -taff I know we Welshies are a hardy breed but please take it easy today and tomorrow.... and the day after etc .
    RedRuby what a stupid man. Hope your window is sorted this week.
    Cranky and dp1 glad you are on the mend.
    Scarlett
    TA I hope MrTA is comfortable. Sending you and your family many hugs xx

Anyone heard from Hester lately ? I hope she is safe on her boat.
    Seems quite a few people are missing too. Hope everyone who is reading along is ok.
    Take care all. The hug bucket runneth over, so help yourselves.
    nan xx
    Last edited by nannywindow; 13-10-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 13th Oct 18, 2:05 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 23,182 Thanks
    snoozer
    Haster posted on her blog a couple of days ago. Exciting news from her but I'll let her tell you about it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,210Posts Today

5,071Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin