Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Curls2208
    • By Curls2208 13th Oct 18, 3:50 AM
    • 54Posts
    • 26Thanks
    Curls2208
    0 WOW
    Indian Transit Visa
    • 13th Oct 18, 3:50 AM
    0 WOW
    Indian Transit Visa 13th Oct 18 at 3:50 AM
    Hi There,

Has anyone travelled via India before?

I have a transit flight in Delhi on my way to kathmandu and cannot for the life of me figure out if I need a Visa.

The UK gov website says I do, but the Indian site it links to doesn't seem to have any specific applications for transit Visas.

I'm flying with the same airline (air india) all the way there, but I have a lenghty layover in Delhi.

2 things I want to avoid are...being sent back OR being stuck in a tiny area of Delhi airport for 9 hours.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost tempted to get an e-visa for rpeace of mind, but I know that's one step too far in the other direction!
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 13th Oct 18, 11:39 AM
    • 12,575 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:39 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:39 AM
    The standard advice is, ask your airline, but you are taking Air India.

Anyway, most airline web sites link to the international database on visa requirements, and that should tell you.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    • 9,176 Posts
    • 9,574 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    Has anyone travelled via India before?
    Originally posted by Curls2208
    Did the 200+ threads on travel to/via India here already not give you a hint..?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 13th Oct 18, 12:04 PM
    • 12,575 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:04 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:04 PM
    Did the 200+ threads on travel to/via India here already not give you a hint..?
    Originally posted by pogofish
    I don't think any of them address this particular question.

In most cases one can follow clues such as these and then use common sense to work out the answer, but Indian bureaucracy works in ways that defy any kind of reason. And of course the rules change...

For instance, I am fairly confident that three years ago no visa was required if you remained in the international transit area of your Indian airport. I do not know if that is still the case today.

What I can confidently assert is that you can obtain a transit visa from VFS global: it is valid for a stay of up to three days (so is what you would need to leave the airport) and appears to cost about 70 pounds. (One website says that it costs US$881, but that is probably a mistake -- although with India you never know.)
    • Curls2208
    • By Curls2208 13th Oct 18, 7:23 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Curls2208
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:23 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:23 PM
    I find the forum very difficult to navigate if I'm honest, I don't see the harm in posting a thread if I'll get a good honest reply, I just have to ignore the sarcastic ones. I really appreciate the responses guys. So I'll contact the airline then, that's all I needed to know.

Anyway, for regular travellers it may seem like a stupid question. But I am definitely not one and I've never done an airport transfer before so thank you for the advice.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 13th Oct 18, 9:05 PM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:05 PM
    y.

What I can confidently assert is that you can obtain a transit visa from VFS global: it is valid for a stay of up to three days (so is what you would need to leave the airport) and appears to cost about 70 pounds. (One website says that it costs US$881, but that is probably a mistake -- although with India you never know.)
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    e visa costs about £55 via official site. Im not sure this would be suitable though.
    Ive always found dealing with VFS Global a pain.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 14th Oct 18, 1:23 AM
    • 12,575 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 14th Oct 18, 1:23 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 1:23 AM
    e visa costs about £55 via official site. Im not sure this would be suitable though.
    Ive always found dealing with VFS Global a pain.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    I fear that the price has gone up -- surely not even India could charge more for a three-day transit visa than for a 30-day visa!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 14th Oct 18, 4:34 PM
    • 5,255 Posts
    • 3,763 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 14th Oct 18, 4:34 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 4:34 PM
    Transit visa
    https://boi.gov.in/content/transit-visa

Visa fees for Transit visa is different for all the Missions, it ranges from $13 to $ 53.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Oct 18, 7:27 PM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th Oct 18, 7:27 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 7:27 PM
    Anyway, for regular travellers it may seem like a stupid question.
    Originally posted by Curls2208
    It's not a stupid question, especially where Indian official procedure is concerned. I travel regularly to Nepal but not via India so I can't give a definitive reply, but you should normally be able to assume that if you stay airside (in transit area without entering the country through immigration) no visa will be necessary.

Air India will check your bags through to KTM and if they don't actually issue your onward boarding pass at UK departure you should be able to get it from the transit desk at Delhi. Perhaps they have a phone app these days..?

Nine hours is a long wait but I believe there's a hotel available airside, you can Google it.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 14th Oct 18, 9:21 PM
    • 12,575 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    ... you should normally be able to assume that if you stay airside (in transit area without entering the country through immigration) no visa will be necessary.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    While that sounds like common sense, it is a dangerous assumption.

I discovered this in spectacular fashion when I arranged to attend a seminar given by a distinguished scientist who would have arrived in the country earlier that day. He did not arrive: his journey involved a change of 'planes in Paris, and the airline would not allow him to board the first flight of his journey since he did not have a transit visa valid for France. And yes: he had no plans to leave the transit area and would only have been in the airport there for a couple of hours. Oh: he held an Indian passport, so trust the Indians to do something equally stupid and inconvenient to transit passengers from Europe.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    eDicky
    I eventually found the following on the Air India website:

Transiting through India
    When you arrive into Gateway Point in India and have an onward connection to another international destination by any international carrier

You may remain in direct transit at the terminal or proceed directly to departure area, depending upon onward flight timings and as per the specific airport procedure.
    You are not allowed to proceed or pass through immigration and Customs unless you fulfil other requisite criteria.
    Should you require any assistance you may contact the Air India "International Transfer Desk” Terminal.
    http://www.airindia.in/Transit-Information.htm

However, in the case of India it's still worth double checking this with the airline, perhaps OP will update us with the result of doing so, which would be useful to know.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 15th Oct 18, 11:48 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    The information from TIMATIC for TWOV (transit without visa) is :

VISA REQUIRED, EXCEPT FOR PASSENGERS WITH A CONFIRMED ONWARD TICKET FOR A FLIGHT TO A THIRD COUNTRY WITHIN 24 HOURS. THEY MUST STAY IN THE INTERNATIONAL TRANSIT AREA OF THE AIRPORT AND HAVE DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE NEXT DESTINATION.

Pretty standard TWOV

You can also check:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm#

I will be transiting DEL an BOM on to Asia myself next year and to be honest if they want these airports to be making onward connections for Indian and other airlines then the last thing they would want to do is make it difficult.

Best see if you can get a lounge booked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,656Posts Today

7,899Users online

Martin's Twitter