Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lau2018
    • By Lau2018 13th Oct 18, 3:04 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Lau2018
    At my wits end with my cat
    • 13th Oct 18, 3:04 AM
    At my wits end with my cat 13th Oct 18 at 3:04 AM
    Hi everyone!

Iím really concerned about my little male moggy and Iím not too sure what to do next.

Iím in the process of moving home (waiting for my exchange date) and frankly, it canít come soon enough! Iím currently living at home whilst I wait to move with my moggy.
    We having been staying with my folks in an area which has a heap of cats, so the journey has been.. trying. He has got into a lot of scrapes and been to the vet a lot of times for antibiotics and pain relief from said territorial battles. Itís cost an absolute fortune.
    I brought a pheromone diffuser which seemed to work wonders and woohoo, no scrapes for a few months!

He came in earlier tonight with a scraped or bitten front leg (near his paw) - a tiny wound, slightly red but not bleeding and I only noticed when I picked him up and touched it he hissed at me (which he only does when hurt). Heís standing on it fine with all his weight and not limping.

Heís been out since and returned, eaten his food and whilst eating I was stroking him on the top of his head and he was hissing and growling at me
    Iím not sure what to do. He had a bite on his ear earlier in the year which was a similar size and this healed up itself.. he is insured but do I wait a few days and see how he is?

Iím feel absolutely defeated as he is always getting into scraps and each time not only is it upsetting because he is hurt, he also has to stay inside at night for a period, which under my parents roof is a no no because itís thier rules and they wonít have the litter box inside. So, heíll go outside as normal and get hurt again. Iím constantly forking out a LOT of money for the vet consultation and treatments and I just feel like our bond is no longer there and I canít enforce my routine on him whilst I live here as they go over my head and let him out at night etc.

Iím really donít know what to do. I canít keep taking him to the vet at 80£ a go every month but heís my best friend and I donít want him hurt.

Any tips would be appreciated, thank you!
Page 1
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 13th Oct 18, 6:35 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:35 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:35 AM
    Hi
    I had a cat who was a fighter!
    To be honest... I never took him to the vets for every scratch or bite. I'd make sure it was clean and didn't look infected then just monitor it.
    I do the same with my dog... not that he fights but he runs through bramles and gets scratched.
    He survived 15 years of night time wandering, as he aged he stayed in more.
    My current cat rarely uses the cat flap.

Just remember where you are is only temporary.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 13th Oct 18, 8:15 AM
    • 8,503 Posts
    • 7,256 Thanks
    -taff
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:15 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:15 AM
    Bathe cuts in salt water [ avoid claws ad teeth during this - motorbike gloves are your friend], take them to the vet only if it becomes infected.
    Can't you put a litter tray in your room and confine the cat to your room for a bit?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    • 11,077 Posts
    • 12,770 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    Iím constantly forking out a LOT of money for the vet consultation and treatments and I just feel like our bond is no longer there
    Originally posted by Lau2018
    The only bond with a cat is one way. And its not from the cat. You are fooling yourself if you think any different. If he can find better bed and board elsewhere he'll be off like a shot.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 13th Oct 18, 8:26 AM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:26 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:26 AM
    If someone kept touching me whilst I was eating I'd growl at them too.
    • Lau2018
    • By Lau2018 13th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lau2018
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    Thank you! Reading this has made me feel so much better. He seems happier this morning and isnít growling. He snuggled right up next to me and I made a point to avoid his paw and it looks okay for the time being, so Iíll monitor it
    Thanks again!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 25,015 Posts
    • 100,535 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    Has he been neutered? If not, it's worth every penny in reducing the amount of battles he'll get into.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 13th Oct 18, 4:46 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 10,843 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 13th Oct 18, 4:46 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 4:46 PM
    From OPs other posts he is neutered.

I feel your pain. I have a neutered female who is very territorial and aggressive. That's just the way she is as she hates other cats!

Not many scrapes because the vast majority of cats she encounters, wisely back down and flee.

When there is something I do keep an eye on it, use salt water if appropriate, otherwise I just leave well alone.
    Last edited by KxMx; 13-10-2018 at 4:53 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,508Posts Today

9,787Users online

Martin's Twitter