Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markfj
    • By markfj 13th Oct 18, 1:28 AM
    • 443Posts
    • 162Thanks
    markfj
    Gifted Deposit Loan
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:28 AM
    Gifted Deposit Loan 13th Oct 18 at 1:28 AM
    Hi.

Just a quick question please

I am hoping to buy a house with my partner,

My brother and mum have both taken out a loan to help with the deposit needed .

They are willing to fill in the form that its a gift and not a loan and they have no interest financially in the house.

The broker wants all the details of the gifters and to see their bank statement for a month, which makes sense

I'm just abit concerned that they may not lend based on seeing the 2 loans which is part of the deposit (they are giving me money they have saved too)

I am trying to do everything by the book, I just wondered if it's not A loan in my name and they confirm there's no financial interest from them in the house if that's acceptable ?
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 13th Oct 18, 6:34 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:34 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:34 AM
    In my experience, as long as the person making the gift has come into the money lawfully then that is all the banks are concerned about. A loan is a perfectly lawful way to obtain money.

If they sign the declaration stating the money is a gift and they have no interest in the property then you should be ok.
    • Couldsavemore
    • By Couldsavemore 13th Oct 18, 6:43 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Couldsavemore
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:43 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:43 AM
    My parents 'gifted' my deposit.
    All that was asked for was a letter stating it was a 'gift'.
    My mortgage went through ok. This was 5 years ago, so after all the big changes about how they calculate it etc
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 13th Oct 18, 6:59 AM
    • 31,502 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:59 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:59 AM
    We also signed to say the money we gave our son was indeed a gift. No problem at all. (2012).
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    • 9,292 Posts
    • 9,908 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    This has come up here before and I think someone had encountered difficulty. Strictly speaking it should be fine, but if your family can't actually afford the gift without getting a loan that might lead to suspicion that you're going to be reimbursing them the repayments. If the broker is aware and thinks it's fine for your lender then you're probably good.

Also be aware that your solicitor will want to see evidence of where the money has come from and ID for your parents. The fact it's from a loan shouldn't be an issue for compliance with anti-money-laundering regulations, but best to be upfront with them in case they cause a last minute delay by checking with the lender that they're aware of where the funds have come from (lenders often don't bother mentioning in their instructions to the solicitor that they've already OKed the gifted deposit).
    • markfj
    • By markfj 13th Oct 18, 11:42 AM
    • 443 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    markfj
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:42 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 11:42 AM
    Thank you for you replies

To be honest the situation become this complicated after putting and offer and and getting acceptance as my partner's step mum and dad were going to gift us money and then last minute said they wouldn't which wasn't helpful

My brother and mum said they would take the.loans out.

I'm morally obliged to pay them back but not.legally , that why I asked the question really. I'll speak with my broker when I can as this has only just come up and see what she says but appreciate the views so far

Thanks
    Last edited by markfj; 13-10-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    • markfj
    • By markfj 13th Oct 18, 1:18 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    markfj
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:18 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:18 PM
    Just an update, the the broker called me back and said they dont see it as a problem, if the loans arent in my name and they fill in the gift forms, but will confirm with the lender on monday morning

hopefully was me worrying unnecessarily but rather safe than sorry

Thanks again for your views

Mark
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,941Posts Today

7,310Users online

Martin's Twitter