Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • canonman
    • By canonman 13th Oct 18, 1:24 AM
    • 91Posts
    • 20Thanks
    canonman
    Speeding fine...with a twist!
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:24 AM
    Speeding fine...with a twist! 13th Oct 18 at 1:24 AM
    Wondering if anyone can advise further on this situation i have found myself in.

Story

I was driving home 7pm 3 months ago down a road i know well, its a back road that passes a village just avoiding an A road. The road passes down a new housing development that is being built. I come round the corner when out rushes this female officer, i thought she was going to jump out, i hit the breaks and she has a speed gun. She was holding it like a shotgun, aims it at me and i continue driving giver her hand gestures.

I was so angry i nearly stopped! I did however call the Police to complain as this was dangerous and just stupid. I explained how she was hidden behind the car and rushed out to the side of the road to get me, almost like she was busy doing something else and a car came.

The next day an officer calls me, he asks me for my side of events and i try to explain i drive for a living 200 miles a day never seen an officer pull a stunt like that. He tells me this is a new officer and she was not in a propper traffic car more of a panda car. She has been spoken to regarding this. She said her version of events are different in that she was walking to the road side etc...

He explained the officer was more than likely performing duty for the community checking speed for statistics etc... not actively enforcing, he tried to say sorry without saying sorry for what had happened. i Explained i was a new bmw and the safety warning came on as she stepped out he said he understood and was sorry for any inconvenience again. He asked if i wanted to continue the complaint i had made. I said no based on what he said.

Today in the post speeding fine!! 38 in a 30mph (again no signage for this, housing development have removed these i assume)

My argument
    • I had raised the practice of the the officer months ago
      the reading may be inaccurate as she rushed out
      the road is under development not speed limit signs
      The officer had acknowledged her visibility may not have been clear
      The supervisor has explained they were not out to enforce to me in my initial contact

I rang the 101 number and asked for this to be looked into again, but i wanted to know from what i have explained is this something i should win?

many thanks all
Page 2
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Oct 18, 12:29 PM
    • 2,972 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Story
    Originally posted by canonman
    Sorry but that's about the only bit I believed in your original post.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th Oct 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    z1a
    Holding it "like a shotgun" needs two hands. Did she have a third hand for the gestures?

Were the gestures a signal to stop? If so, you've committed another offence.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    The OP was gesturing.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Oct 18, 5:08 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    Car 54
    The OP was gesturing.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Possibly. His description "... i continue driving giver her hand gesture ..." makes little sense in any known language.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th Oct 18, 5:30 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    z1a
    Possibly. His description "... i continue driving giver her hand gesture ..." makes little sense in any known language.
    True, I'd missed the "giver" & read it as "give".
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 14th Oct 18, 2:45 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Johnmcl7

For this i wont be given points i have been offered a course, but i have been driving nearly 8 years 200 miles a day all over the UK and never had a speeding ticket or motoring offence so i intend to keep it that way.

- Reported this the night of the event
    - Was told by a senior officer that they are not actively enforcing speeding fines
    - Dropped the case based on the officers information
    - Explained there is no clear sign posts for 30mph
    Looking at your screenshot there are lamp posts which means the speed limit is 30mph and 30 mph repeaters are not allowed so it is correctly sign posted. I wouldn't ever trust the speed limit on a sat nav as I find even on systems with up to date maps they still get it wrong. None of your other points would form even the hint of a defence.

If you do wish to take it to court and defend it bear in mind if you lose you will not only pay a means tested fine but also much higher costs as well.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 14th Oct 18, 8:19 AM
    • 8,143 Posts
    • 7,463 Thanks
    Herzlos
    You brakes hard to avoid hitting her and she still caught you 8mph above the limit?

None of your points mitigage; you were still caught speeding by a police officer who did nothing illegal.
    If you've been offered a course then go to it and see if you learn anything, even if it's just to avoid getting caught in future.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 14th Oct 18, 2:13 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 3,911 Thanks
    cajef
    I was not, the road changes from 30mph / 40mph quickly and there has never been and sign posts, the sat nav on the BMW and on a tom tom list it as 40mph.
    A main road near me in a newly built up area was changed from a 40 to 30 mph speed limit several years ago, it was nearly eight months before my TomTom sat nav changed to showing the new limit, never rely on a sat nav to give the correct limit.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 14th Oct 18, 6:01 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    James2k
    Holding it "like a shotgun" needs two hands. Did she have a third hand for the gestures?

Were the gestures a signal to stop? If so, you've committed another offence.
    maybe she was busting out the Arnie shotgun grip
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,576Users online

Martin's Twitter