Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markfj
    • By markfj 12th Oct 18, 11:43 PM
    • 443Posts
    • 162Thanks
    markfj
    Gifted deposit loan question
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:43 PM
    Gifted deposit loan question 12th Oct 18 at 11:43 PM
    Hi.

Just a quick question please

I am hoping to buy a house with my partner,

My brother and mum have both taken out a loan to help with the deposit needed .

They are willing to fill in the form that its a gift and not a loan and they have no interest financially in the house.

The broker wants all the details of the gifters and to see their bank statement for a month, which makes sense

I'm just abit concerned that they may not lend based on seeing the 2 loans which is part of the deposit (they are giving me money they have saved too)

I am trying to do everything by the book, I just wondered if it's not A loan in my name and they confirm there's no financial interest from them in the house if that's acceptable ?

Thanks
    Last edited by markfj; 12-10-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Oct 18, 12:07 AM
    • 60,136 Posts
    • 53,467 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:07 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:07 AM
    The obvious assumption by an underwriter is that you'll be funding the loans.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • scotgal30
    • By scotgal30 13th Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    scotgal30
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    I didn't think the underwriters look at the bank accounts of those gifting you the deposit - it is only the broker who does this to check there is no money laundering - our mortgage company did not see statements of those gifted to us.

How much is being 'gifted'?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,435Posts Today

7,037Users online

Martin's Twitter