Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennypincher3562
    • By pennypincher3562 12th Oct 18, 11:08 PM
    • 2,129Posts
    • 3,401Thanks
    pennypincher3562
    [MAC] How Do I Upgrade from Yosemite to Sierra?
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:08 PM
    [MAC] How Do I Upgrade from Yosemite to Sierra? 12th Oct 18 at 11:08 PM
    I thought it was about time I finally upgraded my Mac laptop from the outdated Yosemite OS, to Sierra.

I just typed 'Sierra' into the App store, and can't find it.

Any ideas where I can find it?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 13th Oct 18, 12:36 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    pmartin86
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:36 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:36 AM
    You're about 2 years too late...

https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/mojave/

it should appear in your "updates" tab.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 24th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 24th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 24th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    You're about 2 years too late...

https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/mojave/

it should appear in your "updates" tab.
    Originally posted by pmartin86
    In my case Mojave did not appear in the Updates screen as I would have expected. It appeared as a banner advertisement at the top of the App Store main page.

A few little niggles with Mojave, the main one of which is that launched Application icons, for example Chrome web browser stay in the dock at the bottom when the application is quit and to remove it from the dock the icon has to be moved to trash as with default program icons. This is the same action used to uninstall applications from the Applications screen and is therefore confusing. Similarly icons stay in the dock after an Application is uninstalled and has to be removed manually. I also find the new Store screen confusing. Lastly, Mail appears to take a very long time to get mail from anything other than iCloud, for example Outlook and the "Get Mail" icon doesn't appear to work.

So you might like to wait to update to Mojave until these little niggles are possibly sorted.

I'm on a Macbook Air.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 24-10-2018 at 9:19 AM.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 24th Oct 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 24th Oct 18, 9:45 AM
    • 24th Oct 18, 9:45 AM
    Ifor example Chrome web browser stay in the dock at the bottom when the application is quit
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    That's not a niggle, that is by design. Matches the way the dock on the iPad Pro works. You don't have to move it to the trash, right click on the icon and select "Options" then "Remove from Dock".
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 24th Oct 18, 12:06 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 3,340 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 24th Oct 18, 12:06 PM
    • 24th Oct 18, 12:06 PM
    I thought it was about time I finally upgraded my Mac laptop from the outdated Yosemite OS, to Sierra.

I just typed 'Sierra' into the App store, and can't find it.

Any ideas where I can find it?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by pennypincher3562
    See the bottom of this page.....

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

Basically, pressing Cmd-R as the Mac starts to boot will install the latest operating system available for your machine.

Pressing Option-Cmd-R will install the system originally supplied with the machine.

To get a particular system inbetween those two involves getting hold of a download and making a bootable USB stick and installing from there.
    • ozmusafir
    • By ozmusafir 26th Oct 18, 9:32 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ozmusafir
    • 26th Oct 18, 9:32 PM
    • 26th Oct 18, 9:32 PM
    https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?l=en&mt=12

Open the link on your apple device it will redirect you to the App Store and you will be able to download Sierra.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 29th Oct 18, 12:39 AM
    • 15,661 Posts
    • 132,289 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 29th Oct 18, 12:39 AM
    • 29th Oct 18, 12:39 AM
    I'm a big fan of the mac os but before you upgrade, check if you can downgrade again easily from a backup.
    Then check if any of your expensive software is compatible;
    productivity software such as office suites
    visual editing software such as art-rendering or publishing products
    repair and backup software etc.
    And whether any software you need for accessing older files will be irrevocably lost.
    And whether compatible driver software exists for your peripherals such as scanners or printers.
    And when you know they all work, that might be time to think about upgrading, as I'm not sure whether apple have the same obsession with back-compatibility that Microsoft has.

This webpage
    suggests if you're still using CS5 or Office 2011 they might not work with Mojave.

So, only after checking all these steps first, is how to do it
    Last edited by zagubov; 01-11-2018 at 1:16 AM. Reason: answering the question more accurately, this is how to do it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,601Posts Today

8,238Users online

Martin's Twitter